Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
PyRo
PC Perfectionist

To be fair its a good fair effort for the first time. I persevered with a Megs 220 mk 1before moving to a flex 3401. Good right up and some great advice from an accomplished craftsman.
PyRo
PyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #22
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Yesterday I was lucky to have a day off work so I managed to get the passenger doors & rear quarters done.

I took plenty of pictures throughout showing my progress so these will all be uploaded at some point tonight or tomorrow morning so keep an eye out if you would like to see the results.

Thanks DW.
DlllonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #23
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
So again here I am 8:30am on a cold November morning this time.

My mission was to start on the passenger side of the car.

And the side I shall be working on.

A Quick wash down, two bucket method and a rinse and dry left it looking like this.

Next it wash time to break out the fine grade clay bar, don't be alarmed the solution inside the Hot Rims is a dilution of Gold Class Shampoo and water.

Here's what the passenger side looked like post clay.

Now I tried to get a few pictures of the paint, the lighting, camera and technique was not on point to get a good enough picture but here's a couple to give you an idea of the swirls.

Swirl #1.

Swirl #2.

Next it was time to tape up to give me an idea of the area's I will be working on. After Junkmans advice I worked in a smaller area and the following picture if you divide the right hand side of the tape into two equal spaces that was the size of the area I would be working at a time.

After around 5 passes of an orange HL cutting pad combined with #105 then followed by around 3 passes of a white HL finishing pad it left the rear quarter looking like this. If you can see the scratch line running vertical to my reflection ignore it because it doesn't exist and I have no idea what it is lol.

Now it was time to move onto the rear passenger side door, taping up into three workable sections.

Now working in the same format as on the rear quarter, I proceeded to complete both doors. I apologise for the skip in pictures I didn't seem to get any of the front passenger side doors.

Anyway after another hard days work these were the results I came out with, this was sealed with a layer of Poorboys Natty Paste wax.

Deep Rich Shine.

To summarise from my second day/attempt with a DA:

- Working in smaller areas definitely pays off!
- Listen to the Junkman

Please anymore advice/criticism will be taken kindly.

Thanks DW.

Last edited by DlllonJ; 06-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DlllonJ For This Useful Post:
GazGJ (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #24
gally
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,535 Posts
Garage
Excellent work chap. So nice to see someone take advice on board and go with it and practice.

One thing I would say is do you have any other waxes sealants? You sound like you don't mind getting out and waxing but most try to avoid touching the paint during winter and use a strong wax/sealant. Then keep washing throughout Winter.

What polish were you using again?

I've recently purchased another
black car after saying years ago I would never do it again. I'm very excited to own one again. No other colour can be as rewarding to a "detailer".
gally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
Junkman2008
Detailing Devil Dog

Thanked 1,076 Times in 255 Posts
That looks a TON better to me. Now you know why I'm such a stickler when it comes to technique and am so passionate that novices follow my technique (or another solid technique that works). When you master a solid technique, you won't get caught up in the polish debate because no matter what quality product you use, they ALL work equally. Names mean nothing to a man with a solid technique.

Technique trumps product 24/7/365.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:
GazGJ (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #26
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gally View Post
Excellent work chap. So nice to see someone take advice on board and go with it and practice.

One thing I would say is do you have any other waxes sealants? You sound like you don't mind getting out and waxing but most try to avoid touching the paint during winter and use a strong wax/sealant. Then keep washing throughout Winter.

What polish were you using again?

I've recently purchased another
black car after saying years ago I would never do it again. I'm very excited to own one again. No other colour can be as rewarding to a "detailer".
Thank you very much, the only Wax/sealant I have at the moment is Poorboys stuff, I've never experienced with sealants before but I'm sure this will come very soon.

The car will not be touched over winter apart from a quick wash once a week, however as I've only just got this machine polisher obviously I'm just trying to get each section done before we go into the big freeze. Only the driver side & roof left to do now and luckily I have a weeks annual holiday from work next week so that will be my 'time to shine'.

The polish I was using were:

- Meguiars #105 Ultra Cut Compound
- Meguiars #205 Ultra Finish Polish

I also have a big litre bottle of AG Super Resin polish from when I worked by hand.

I haven't thought about using this with my DA however maybe because it's a polish designed to be used by hand it may have more fillers in it and act like a glaze?

I'll have to see in the future.

Good Choice with the black car! My previous car I have a Seat Leon Cupra R 225 which was a very quick car, but because it was silver I could never get it to pop like those darker coloured cars. Now I feel blessed that I have a car colour which can really multiply the results I were getting from my silver car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That looks a TON better to me. Now you know why I'm such a stickler when it comes to technique and am so passionate that novices follow my technique (or another solid technique that works). When you master a solid technique, you won't get caught up in the polish debate because no matter what quality product you use, they ALL work equally. Names mean nothing to a man with a solid technique.

Technique trumps product 24/7/365.
Thanks Junkman! I really appreciate all the advice and your videos are second to none. Hopefully we'll see some more coming from your YouTube very soon.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #27
Junkman2008
Detailing Devil Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlllonJ View Post
... I also have a big litre bottle of AG Super Resin polish from when I worked by hand.

I haven't thought about using this with my DA however maybe because it's a polish designed to be used by hand it may have more fillers in it and act like a glaze?
I don't know anything about that product but I will say this. M205 is a polish. M105 is a polish also, it's just a much harsher polish and is thus referred to as a compound. All very harsh polishes are referred to as compounds. Any product that causes leveling of your clear coat is some type of polish. Glazes contain NO polish and are nothing but fillers. They don't level anything. That's the difference between a compound, polish and a glaze. If it is a polish or compound, it will work a THOUSAND times better when used with a machine.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 06-11-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Ok I get it Junkman.

Check out my Orange HL pad, does this need to be thrown away now? I can't imagine my paint liking that.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #29
GazGJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I think Super Resin Polish is a hybrid glaze product. It has a VERY mild abrasive formula and has fillers. I would use it with a DA.
GazGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
Junkman2008
Detailing Devil Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlllonJ View Post
Ok I get it Junkman.

Check out my Orange HL pad, does this need to be thrown away now? I can't imagine my paint liking that.
That pads looks as if you used it to buff around sharp edges. Was that the case? Looks as if you used too much pressure also. It won't damage your paint but it clearly is not going to be as effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazGJ View Post
I think Super Resin Polish is a hybrid glaze product. It has a VERY mild abrasive formula and has fillers. I would use it with a DA.
Per the manufacturer's website (so we don't have to guess at what it is):

Super Resin Polish is suitable for all types and colours of paint. Light scratches, swirls, stains and scuffs vanish leaving your paintwork like new. It restores gloss to dull surfaces, is simple to use and will never dry hard or become difficult to remove.

Super Resin Polish can be used on both new and old paintwork, it doesn't have to be in poor condition. A light coating will improve the condition of any vehicle.

With that said, there is nothing in that statement to make me believe that it is any kind of glaze. Like I said before, a glaze has no cutting properties, it just fills. This product is clearly a polish of some sort.

Tags
das6, detail, first machine polish, fr+, leon