Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 06-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #31
MagpieRH
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DlllonJ View Post
If you can see the scratch line running vertical to my reflection ignore it because it doesn't exist and I have no idea what it is lol.

Looks to me like your earphones or some other kind of cable coming from the phone If you look at the bottom of your coat, it's pulling that up.

Nice job though, amazing how those couple of little tweaks based on the advice on Junkman has had such a profound effect
MagpieRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #32
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That pads looks as if you used it to buff around sharp edges. Was that the case? Looks as if you used too much pressure also. It won't damage your paint but it clearly is not going to be as effective.

Per the manufacturer's website (so we don't have to guess at what it is):

Super Resin Polish is suitable for all types and colours of paint. Light scratches, swirls, stains and scuffs vanish leaving your paintwork like new. It restores gloss to dull surfaces, is simple to use and will never dry hard or become difficult to remove.

Super Resin Polish can be used on both new and old paintwork, it doesn't have to be in poor condition. A light coating will improve the condition of any vehicle.

With that said, there is nothing in that statement to make me believe that it is any kind of glaze. Like I said before, a glaze has no cutting properties, it just fills. This product is clearly a polish of some sort.
Possibly when I moved onto the doors, I thought it may be a good idea to open the doors while polishing them so perhaps the rotations catching on the door frame may have 'shaved' it off.

I don't think I applied excessive pressure as I was consciously making the effort not to as it eliminates the effectiveness of the pad. But I'm by far no expert as of now so I may well have been.

Perhaps the AG super resin polish, because it's manufactured to be used by hand has additional filling properties?
DlllonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #33
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRH View Post
Looks to me like your earphones or some other kind of cable coming from the phone If you look at the bottom of your coat, it's pulling that up.

Nice job though, amazing how those couple of little tweaks based on the advice on Junkman has had such a profound effect
Good shout it was my headphones, I was listening to music while polishing.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #34
MagpieRH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DlllonJ View Post
Good shout it was my headphones, I was listening to music while polishing.

Nailed it.

As for SRP, from what I've read on here (from AG themselves and others), it has very, very mild cut and has fillers to hide the swirls. It's not massively filler-heavy, so there are other products that will hide deeper swirls more easily, but SRP can apparently be layered to achieve a more effective finish. The fact it has fillers is why they recommend sealing it with a wax or sealant otherwise it gradually wears off over a month or two
MagpieRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #35
gally
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,535 Posts
Garage
Well be careful with more polishing. Only so much clearcoat a car has.

I say this as people see Pros polishing everyday, you can't do that on your own car so we'll worth looking at Prima Amigo after you've done your correction work. Via DA on a black or blue hex pad. Then get it sealed in with a solid LSP for winter.

If you do any miles nattys will wear off quickly during winter. A solid simple sealant like CarPro reload 2014 or similar would be my suggestion.
gally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #36
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRH View Post
Nailed it.

As for SRP, from what I've read on here (from AG themselves and others), it has very, very mild cut and has fillers to hide the swirls. It's not massively filler-heavy, so there are other products that will hide deeper swirls more easily, but SRP can apparently be layered to achieve a more effective finish. The fact it has fillers is why they recommend sealing it with a wax or sealant otherwise it gradually wears off over a month or two
I wonder how a pannel would turn out with the method I used, 5 passes of #105 on an orange HL pad followed by 3 passes of AG Super Resin Polish on a white HL pad as oposed to 3 passes of #205. I am imagining that the SRP will fill in the paint as well as finishing it but I know #205 is from a professional line whereas the SRP is more consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gally View Post
Well be careful with more polishing. Only so much clearcoat a car has.

I say this as people see Pros polishing everyday, you can't do that on your own car so we'll worth looking at Prima Amigo after you've done your correction work. Via DA on a black or blue hex pad. Then get it sealed in with a solid LSP for winter.

If you do any miles nattys will wear off quickly during winter. A solid simple sealant like CarPro reload 2014 or similar would be my suggestion.
I Think at this stage I'm happy with how Nattys seals the finish, I do 15 miles to and from work a day which isn't many and I've found Nattys to last me a good 3 months in the past.

I will definitely be looking at Prima Amigo though, I think a sweet glaze is just what I need to finish off the car to give it that wet look it desperately needs.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #37
gally
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
I agree.

Srp won't work after 105. You need 205 or another finishing polish.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #38
66Rob

Good job, and great car choice. .
66Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #39
DlllonJ
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gally View Post
I agree.

Srp won't work after 105. You need 205 or another finishing polish.
Is there any specific reason as to why you think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Rob View Post
Good job, and great car choice. .
Thank you, yes It's my second Leon I've had an love it. It's booked in for a Stage 1 remap on the 18th November as well so it should totally transform it. So excited!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #40
gally
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Srp isn't a finishing polish and you may be hiding serious defects from compounding.

Tags
das6, detail, first machine polish, fr+, leon