Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #1081
Cy-Zuki
PC Perfectionist
 
Cy-Zuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Paphos, Cyprus
Posts: 394
Thanks: 142
Thanked 112 Times in 102 Posts
Garage
Yep! White cars are the hardest to see swirls on (I believe) I made one here is a pic of my car. It is a white Mk6 Golf that for the first 3 years of it;s life was put through a car wash every two weeks

The car had been left outside for a week when this shot was taken. I should add that I intentionally darkened the image to make the swirls stand out more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint1.jpg (58.0 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Cy-Zuki; 09-04-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Cy-Zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cy-Zuki For This Useful Post:
pajd (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #1082
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 824
Thanks: 583
Thanked 216 Times in 175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy-Zuki View Post
Yep! White cars are the hardest to see swirls on (I believe) I made one here is a pic of my car. It is a white Mk6 Golf that for the first 3 years of it;s life was put through a car wash every two weeks

The car had been left outside for a week when this shot was taken. I should add that I intentionally darkened the image to make the swirls stand out more.
OK cheers. You say you darkened the image. Is the home made gun able to highlight the swirls enough to see them clearly when outside?

I don't want to have to take pictures of parts of the car and darken the picture to see the swirls
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #1083
Cy-Zuki
PC Perfectionist
 
Cy-Zuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Paphos, Cyprus
Posts: 394
Thanks: 142
Thanked 112 Times in 102 Posts
Garage
TBH am not sure as I did it in garage.

I take your point, you can see the swirls, but as both my cars are white, I am unable to say whether or not it is easier on other colours.

Not convincing that is it

We have rain forecast tomorrow am out all day Sat but will have a look at the car outside on Sunday if no one else has chimed in by then.

EDITED
OK sun came out and I got car out and used the lamp in bright daylight. I could see the swirls but you needed to move the lamp around to see them. TBH it is no where near as dramatic as often shown with darker paints but you can see them OK.

Hope that helps golftdi .

Last edited by Cy-Zuki; 10-04-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Sunshine!!
Cy-Zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cy-Zuki For This Useful Post:
pajd (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #1084
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 824
Thanks: 583
Thanked 216 Times in 175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy-Zuki View Post
TBH am not sure as I did it in garage.

I take your point, you can see the swirls, but as both my cars are white, I am unable to say whether or not it is easier on other colours.

Not convincing that is it

We have rain forecast tomorrow am out all day Sat but will have a look at the car outside on Sunday if no one else has chimed in by then.

EDITED
OK sun came out and I got car out and used the lamp in bright daylight. I could see the swirls but you needed to move the lamp around to see them. TBH it is no where near as dramatic as often shown with darker paints but you can see them OK.

Hope that helps golftdi .
Brilliant mate thanks for your help Always good to hear from someone that uses the item and lets me know if it works or not before I buy.
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #1085
kentphil
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 37
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've just made mine from a 14.4 drill from Aldi, not as straightforward as the B&Q version, but an option as the drills get harder to find.
kentphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #1086
Scottland
PC Perfectionist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 66 Times in 51 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the LED bulbs now available? Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aurora-Premi...dp/B00G971NPY/
Scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #1087
smarty5927
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 71
Thanks: 44
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottland View Post
Has anyone tried any of the LED bulbs now available? Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aurora-Premi...dp/B00G971NPY/
I recently built one of these swirl spotters using one of the Aldi drills, and initially put a B&Q Diall 4.5 W LED bulb in it, and I didn't find it particularly effective, the light output just didn't seem bright enough. Swapping the bulb for a 35W Halogen was far better.

I think the problems are that LED bulbs tend to have a narrower light beam pattern (than Halogen bulbs), and also because they are made up of multiple Led chips you get multiple light points reflected from the vehicle surface.


John
smarty5927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #1088
martin.breslin
Sponge Jockey
 
martin.breslin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 95
Thanks: 26
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Lamps now available here for a good price http://svenlight.co.uk/index.php?id_...roller=product.
martin.breslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #1089
Scottland
PC Perfectionist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 66 Times in 51 Posts
10 quid delivery though!
Scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:19 AM   #1090
gabrielleitao
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This is so helpful and useful for me!
Thanks for sharing it with us! I really appreciate it
gabrielleitao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors