Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 24-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
restricted
Washmitt Meister

The birth of the new Mum-Mobile

Having had nothing but Audi over the years it didn't take long for my partner to also start having Audi also....
She started with a very nice Final Edition Audi 80 Cabriolet

which then evolved into an even better TT 225

but whilst she loved driving it, the daily practicalities of being a Mum and needing to do the weekly shop meant the boot was way too small.... so that went in exchange for a 2004 3 door A3, which she loves

and it's served her very well...…. but the fact it's a 3 door was not what she wanted, she wanted a Sportback….
But it was starting to show it's age and we came to the conclusion that it was time to change and that brings us to yesterday and a chance browse on Autotrader and a local garage had a SB in nearly the spec she (me ) wanted.

Pics are from the advert.
it's a 2008 170bhp TDi, very low miles, full service history, cambelt at 5 years old (and is being done again as part of our deal).
The only bit's it doesn't have we were looking for are Xenon's, front parking sensors, built in satnav and cruise control.... all things which can be retrofitted.
Things which it needs are puddle lights, footwell lights and LED light interior swap out

The red calipers need stripping and repainting black and it'll have new discs and pads put on at the same time.

Then all it'll need is a full paint decontamination and polished to death...…

The only fault code shown on the scan when inspecting yesterday was a G28 speed sensor which the garage will sort out.
restricted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to restricted For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (26-11-2018), Mr Ben (25-11-2018)
Old 24-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
restricted
Washmitt Meister

So that was last Saturday, fast forward to today and the eagle has landed

all good, full cambelt done, with water pump and tensioners. G28 was replaced and that is now ticked off.
In the week I bought completed new discs and pads to fit, whilst there is technically nothing wrong with what is fitted, they are worn a bit and scabby looking, so wheels off tomorrow to fit them and strip the bloody awful red calipers and paint them black.
Also got a full oil service kit, with all filters... start as we mean to go on and all that....

Just had a fun 30 minutes sat in the car with VCDS ticking code boxes....
all options wanted or not wanted are now set.
It is a shame that the needle sweep can't be activated despite being in the options. There must be a cheat somewhere to get that sorted?

I attacked the leather steering wheel and gearknob with a load of leather wipes as they were too shiny, they are going to need a bit more love yet.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to restricted For This Useful Post:
andy__d (24-11-2018), neilb62 (04-12-2018), rojer386 (03-12-2018)
Old 24-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
bazz
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,609 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to bazz
looks a tidy car fella
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bazz For This Useful Post:
restricted (25-11-2018)
Old 25-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
How have you tried activating the needle sweep? If it doesn’t work under the staging setting try looking for celebration mode. That can sometimes do the trick
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoOkIeMoNsTeR For This Useful Post:
restricted (25-11-2018)
Old 25-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOkIeMoNsTeR View Post
How have you tried activating the needle sweep? If it doesn’t work under the staging setting try looking for celebration mode. That can sometimes do the trick
It's to do with the firmware in the cluster, the coding is there but it only works on the S3 cluster apparently.

I'm curious what you mean by the staging/celebration mode? never heard those terms before (everyday's a school day and all that), could you elaborate a bit more please
Old 26-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
When enabling this in the past on VCDS on some clusters such as a Fabia 2 for example, you can go to Instruments, and scroll to staging or celebration mode under adaptations, one usually works if the other doesn’t. On some clusters it’s changing a Bit within a Byte. I think if you are long coding you have to be able to see the long coding helper otherwise it’s not going to work. Is it a red DIS or a white one? Pretty sure it’s not doable on the red ones. You can load the S3 firmware on the cluster but not with VCDS. Tbf I have it on my SQ5 and it gets old after a while and doesn’t work half the time so you’re not missing out on much.
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Andyblue

Location: Hiding all the Black Friday / Christmas detailing stuff bought :)
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,662 Posts
Very nice motor - certainly doesn't look it's age

Do prefer the 5 door over the 3 door in the A3...
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
restricted (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOkIeMoNsTeR View Post
When enabling this in the past on VCDS on some clusters such as a Fabia 2 for example, you can go to Instruments, and scroll to staging or celebration mode under adaptations, one usually works if the other doesn’t. On some clusters it’s changing a Bit within a Byte. I think if you are long coding you have to be able to see the long coding helper otherwise it’s not going to work. Is it a red DIS or a white one? Pretty sure it’s not doable on the red ones. You can load the S3 firmware on the cluster but not with VCDS. Tbf I have it on my SQ5 and it gets old after a while and doesn’t work half the time so you’re not missing out on much.
The cluster is red. It isn't doable sadly.
Even when you go in via the long coding the option is there but it doesn't activate.
I have it on my S5, I also have it enabled on my Fireblade so I am a little biased and love the feature
The Following User Says Thank You to restricted For This Useful Post:
CoOkIeMoNsTeR (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Very nice motor - certainly doesn't look it's age

Do prefer the 5 door over the 3 door in the A3...
Thanks,, we had a 3 door before this and yes I agree the Sportback has a little bit more about it.
Andyblue (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
restricted
Washmitt Meister

absolutely boils my **** the lack of care some show to cars.
Went to do a simple job this morning of putting my new number plates onto the A3
I hate having branded, screwed on plates as I prefer the clean lines of simple stuck on ones.
On removing the rears I found that the dumb **** monkey nut brain mechanics at the place we bought the car from has simply drilled the metal rear hatch to attach the plate, totally ignoring the factory plastic boss.
No paint protection applied to prevent corrosion at all...…
I've now pained inside and out and sealed the hole but it's still not as good as it not being drilled in the first place...…

I've emailed the dealership to get their opinion but I won't hold my breath
TonyH38 (04-12-2018)