Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 27-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,678 Times in 980 Posts
Wowos Crystal sealant.....odd reaction upon application

Guys, been trying out my new pads/compounds in the wife's car this morning.

Washed and clayed the bonnet, corrected using Menz 2200 and a Lake Country CCS orange cutting pad. Refined using a Lake Country white polishing pad. Wiped down with G-tec panel wipe.

Using a clean foam applicator, I'm applying the sealant to the bonnet as directed but immediately it goes an odd cloudy colour and is an absolute sod to remove. I'll try getting a pic in a minute as I've still to finish sealing the bonnet but anyone else had this?

It went onto my Golf fine. The only difference was I hadn't done any machining as it didn't need it.

Thanks
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
wish wash

Are you applying it in the shade and are the panels hot
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
camerashy
'Detailing Devil'

Thanked 2,511 Times in 2,051 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
Are you applying it in the shade and are the panels hot
My first thoughts
camerashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Brian1612

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,044 Posts
Likely the heat but I personally don't apply it this way either as it didn't work well for me. I basically use it like a qd on very small areas at a time, quick and easy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Ben_W

Thanked 1,678 Times in 980 Posts
Thanks guys.

Very very difficult to photo so I haven't any pics. Wasn't in the shade but panel temps weren't high, or at least I didn't think they were. Didn't feel anything other than very slightly warm.

Will try again with the car in the shade once panels have cooled further.

Thanks
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Lexus-is250
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Done mine with this a few weeks ago on a warm day but I was slightly in the shade when I came to apply. Found it ok to use for my first time. I polished then used cleanser fluid to wipe down and it went on and came off no problem. Does suddenly start to dry though so small sections at a time.

Tried putting it on the step daughters car a few days after ( it's black ) in the heat after polishing it with Bilt Hamber cleanser polish and it didn t like it at all so had to give up.

The finish it gave mine was awesome I really like it. It's the first time I've seen the metallic in the paint properly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Lexus-is250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
I find that applying it with a damp sponge applicator, then using that to apply to small areas (no more than 30cm x 30cm), then buffing off, works well. In cooler conditions you can probably get away with larger areas. The damp sponge seems to be the thing that makes the difference!
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 02:21 AM   #8
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

I'd go over each panel with panel wipe again and ensure everything has been removed. Shake the bottle of the sealant very well. Lightly mist the foam applicator. Wipe gently onto a cool clean panel. Work on a small section each time. Buff off immediately.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #9
Brian1612

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
I'd go over each panel with panel wipe again and ensure everything has been removed. Shake the bottle of the sealant very well. Lightly mist the foam applicator. Wipe gently onto a cool clean panel. Work on a small section each time. Buff off immediately.
Don't think panel wipe will strip Crystal Sealant. The instructions do say to be careful on application as a machine polish is required to remove it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
euge07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus-is250 View Post
Done mine with this a few weeks ago on a warm day but I was slightly in the shade when I came to apply. Found it ok to use for my first time. I polished then used cleanser fluid to wipe down and it went on and came off no problem. Does suddenly start to dry though so small sections at a time.

Tried putting it on the step daughters car a few days after ( it's black ) in the heat after polishing it with Bilt Hamber cleanser polish and it didn t like it at all so had to give up.

The finish it gave mine was awesome I really like it. It's the first time I've seen the metallic in the paint properly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I would suspect it doesn't like to sit on top of cleanser polish

I find the best way to apply is to bare paint after a good thorough ipa wipedown and spray a few mists onto a microfiber cloth, apply to panel and buff off immediately with a fresh microfiber- I have coated plenty of cars now with this method and never once had a problem, in fact i found it really easy to use, the beading and water behavior is really good from it

Last edited by euge07; 30-05-2018 at 09:14 AM.
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote