Detailing World Forum banner

Mustang GT Project

58K views 133 replies 57 participants last post by  Alfa male 
#1 · (Edited)
So 2018 is a big birthday year for me so I realised one of my dreams and treated myself to a brand new Mustang GT.

My original plan was to to get the new MY18 model with the epic 10 speed auto but when I priced up all the must have options it's was north of £52k.

So instead I opted for the limited Shadow Edition model, which I love.

Day one car gets delivered down from Bradford and arrives at 8.30pm so I had to wait until the next day to see it in the light and first clean.

I asked for the car not to have the dealer prep and wraps left in place. Sadly I managed to get them to only go part way with this but here we are on day two after a good clean but before I tackled removing the sticky pad residue from the number plates.

See less See more
#65 ·
Minor update time, I've finally received the carbon fibre side window louvres and fitted them tonight. Appreciate it's a marmite mod but I really like the aggressive look.

Apologies for the filthy car which I appreciate is heresy on here, I'll post up some better pictures when the car has had a good clean, so don't flame me on the dirty car !

Kids can still see out too... ish

#69 ·
Don't dislike them to be fair, although I think I would of had them black like the roof and other trim.
I did think about this for a while but I wanted to get a carbon fibre theme going, with the rear spoiler CF and I'm looking at getting the mirror caps in CF too. Hence going for the louvres on CF

I did consider getting the roof in carbon fibre wrap but didn't want any fake CF on the car so went for gloss black. I intend to get the roof painted gloss black eventually but will get my money's worth out of the wrap first.

#71 ·
Do they just bond onto the glass??

I kind of like them, but I think maybe you need to get the insides painted black.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
The are simply stuck on so easy to remove in theory. I'm keen the any mods I do can be reverted back to stock with minimal effort.

The inside of the louvres are matt and rough texture but you can see the twill of the CF which I kind of like.

#72 ·
Time for a minor update as I can't seem to leave this car alone !

I've always hated the rear GT badge, in the US they have a discrete GT lettering but over the pond we have an oversized badge that is supposed to represent a fuel filler cap from original mustangs !

Either way it looks rubbish and had to go. Annoyingly the badge is pinned into place so I have to buy a whole new plain rear deck lid.

So pictures

Before

Plain rear

New badge

#78 ·
Wow.

Just read all of the thread and I can't believe I've never come across it before!!

Epic car buddy subtle mods but tastefully done.

The exhaust note now with the Bola fitted is mental, pity you have to mess about switching it to quiet mode every time you start it up cold at home.

The roof I don't mind at all but I get your need for more gloss.

Window louvre's, hmmmmm, I'm not sure just yet, but hey, it's your car.

I also think the panel without any badges looks better imo, again,your car.

Finally, that Red looks the nuts now it's wearing the SIRamik coating, love it, just love it.

Enjoy!

#80 ·
Another day another mod !

This time it was to lose the pesky fog light DRLs we are stuck with in the UK and get the Tri bar lights retro fitted that should've been there along if it wasn't for the stupid nanny state police rules we have here !

I'm told the tri bar lights are not compliant as DRLs have to be one light source where these can be argued as being three separate lights !

Nonetheless I've had the DRL fogs deactivated and the tri bar leds retrofitted today.

I also had the headlight Xenon lamps upgraded too. The standard OEM lamps were so yellow in colour I was convinced they were halogen bulbs. Particularly as there are no headlight washers fitted either. So I've had 6000k colour bulbs fitted to make the lights more white / blue in colour to give a more standard xenon colouring. I also have the halogen sidelight bulbs below the headlights changed to led so to match everything else.

Not the best light for taking pictures of new lights but you get the gist. Nice subtle mods but they make the difference...

#87 ·
Looks lots better now.

They ain't xenon as they don't have headlight washers. Probably just projectors

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks

They are 100% xenon, they do not fit halogen lamps to this age Mustangs. I've also seen firsthand the ballasts and have the old Xenon lamps so can confirm these are Xenons.

Not sure why there is no headlamp washers fitted though as it thought this was a mandatory requirement.

#95 ·
That's the problem with this car there is always something else planned !!

Performance wise I'm looking at the Ford Performance Clean Air Intake, with the GT350 throttle body. The only issue is Ford only supply this as a kit with the USA market tune not UK.

I'm keen to keep the mods as much as possible to genuine Ford Performance Parts to keep warranty intact but also to keep the resale price up.

That said I really love this car more than any I've owned before so I can see me keeping this one. If I keep it then I'll be very tempted to fit the Ford Performance Supercharger kit that literally bolts on. This takes it to 670bhp, whereby there are lots of other more powerful kits out there. But this one has a warranty as it's direct from Ford and more driveable !

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6066-M8627

#99 ·
Just a little update.

So the new splitter didn't last that long, lowered suspension mixed with a kerb didn't fair well for the GRP splitter, and this happened

I'm fairness I hadn't quite gelled with the new splitter I felt the gloss black finish jarred with the rest of the car.

So I bit the bullet and took advantage of the January sales to purchase a Cervini Splitter which is the one I've always liked.

Before

During

All finished up (excuse the dirty car)

The eagles eyed of you will also have noticed the new winter wheels I'm rocking too. The damn thing was lethal on the standard P Zero tyres !

#103 ·
Awesome work. Had a convertible for a fortnight on a road trip in America and it was the best two weeks of my life. The Mustang is a bucket list car for me. By the time I come to afford one I'm sure we'll all be driving electric by then :(
To be honest that was my logic, as in one last chance to have a V8 before we are driving numb electric motors moaning how slow those old V8 cars were

#104 ·
Well having spent half an hour reading this and falling in love...I have packed up my wife’s stuff and she’s gone. She not compatible with a Mustang, so she had to go. I cannot have two expensive ladies in my life.

I have to admit that I was never much of a Mustang fan before reading this. I am now.

Gorgeous looking car and great modifications. That exhaust sound....wow :thumb:

#106 ·
Well having spent half an hour reading this and falling in love...I have packed up my wife's stuff and she's gone. She not compatible with a Mustang, so she had to go. I cannot have two expensive ladies in my life.

I have to admit that I was never much of a Mustang fan before reading this. I am now.

Gorgeous looking car and great modifications. That exhaust sound....wow :thumb:
That actually made me laugh out loud, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.