Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > Health & Lifestyle Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health & Lifestyle Zone Suited and Booted ,Grooming, Personal Care, Health, Shaving , Aftershaves , Clothes , Watches and more

Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #41
chunkytfg
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I always find these types of Threads so interesting as everyone has an opinion on the best way to lose weight.

Some people baffle you with technical terms and try and explain everything down to the tiniest of details and others just say 'eat less'.

But whats right?

What really works?

At the end of the day you can't ignore the basic laws of physics that simply state if you consume less calories than your body needs to sustain itself it will create those 'calories' from the other sources such as fat and muscle. This will then work out as a loss of weight.

Whats a calorie? Its just a unit of energy basically. 500cal in a doughnut is the same as 500cal of healthy salad much like 500kg of lead weighs the same as 500kg of feathers.

If your body needs 2000cals per day to sustain itself and you ate 1500cals of doughnuts everyday and nothing else your body would use other sources of energy to make up the missing 500 cals. and you'd lose weight.

if your body needs 2000cals per day and you ate 2500 cals of salad every day it would store those extra 500 cals each day somewhere which would end up causing you to gain weight.

There is no great science behind weight loss. There is no trick to it. you just need to eat less and move more so you end up with an overall calorie deficit. How you do that is irrelevant.

Where I find most people suffer and struggle with this is that there are so many products out there designed to help you lose weight and they all claim to be the best but if you look at them all what do they actually make you do? They make you eat at a calories deficit!

Also the very fact that many people struggle with food and there weight is that they have an unhealthy relationship with there food. I for one have struggled all my life and even now after losing around 60kg I still find myself coming out of tescos with a 5000 calorie 'dinner'(seriously! thats not a typo!!) when I went in with the best of intentions to only grab a sandwich and diet pepsi!

Myfitnesspal and a set of digital kitchen scales have been a lifesaver for me. Now it doesn't matter if I want that Doughnut or bit of cake. I can as long as MFP says I have the required number of calories left for the day.

Seriously don't over complicate what is very simple! Learn to weigh and log everything and don't worry about falling off the wagon! The only people who claim to not fall off it are called 'Liars' !!!
chunkytfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #42
Spyke
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post

If your body needs 2000cals per day to sustain itself and you ate 1500cals of doughnuts everyday and nothing else your body would use other sources of energy to make up the missing 500 cals. and you'd lose weight.
Im afraid it is not that simple, you are completely ignoring the themogenic benefits of certain foods.

Most people could eat 2000 calories of certain, "healthy" whole foods and lose weight, whereas they'd probably put weight on when consuming 2000 calories of doughnuts. Personally, if I stick to my diet I can eat in excess of 3000 calories and lose fat. If I constantly cheat I need to bring that down to 2000-2500.

The food we eat has a direct effect on our metabolism, that's just a fact.

To keep it simple;
  • Keep sugar as low as possible
  • Time your Carbs before and after workouts and first thing in the morning
  • Fats are friendly and not your enemy. If you're older and putting on weight, there's a high chance its because testosterone levels naturally drop as you age. Healthy fats will help improve test levels!
  • Red Meat and saturated fat wont kill you
  • Aim for around 1.-1.5g protein /lb bodyweight
  • Overall aim is to be able to eat as much as possible while losing weight.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #43
Sharpy296
Washmitt Meister

I'll chip in here as well....

My Story...
6ft tall
currently 35
Got up to 111kgs at my heaviest, im quite heavily built.
I am now 83kgs and looking to get a bit more off ahead of the next season of cycling
This has taken me 4years to lose the weight initially and its now pretty static, although I am pushing to get my BFP down to around 10% currently its 19%.

I did the initial loss by doing the "special k diet", cereal in the morning dinner at 1200 and then cereal in the evening, it was a hard slog, I also cut down sugar and alcohol intake.

After a while I got into exercise and looked at setting a target so i decided to do a duathlon, then a triathlon... before realising I hate running... so decided to focus on cycling.

What I find is that losses seem to happen in stages, its not linear, i lose quite a bit quite quickly, then it levels out then it drops again and so on and so forth, the plateaus can be quite demoralising but you need to stick with it.

The general rule of thumb of eat less and move more does apply, although addressing bad elements of a diet will help, for example now I eat more healthy and have cut out cordial (even no added sugar cordial has quite a lot of sugar in it!) and generally eat more interms of calories than I used to, however I see a weight loss, i exercise a lot 15hrs+ a week but I feel better for the change in diet than when I eat junk.

It is a complex issue to fully understand and I dont pretend to, but everyone I know who has succeeded in weight loss has reduced what they put in and moved a bit more.

Also be careful with apps like MFP, some of the stuff is not showing at the full serving so a kitkat might only be 100 calories, when in relality thats for 1 finger, and I mean who really ever just eats 1 finger!!! I think sometimes people want to kid themselves that they are eat less than they are.
Sharpy296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #44
Mcpx
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
Im afraid it is not that simple, you are completely ignoring the themogenic benefits of certain foods.

Most people could eat 2000 calories of certain, "healthy" whole foods and lose weight, whereas they'd probably put weight on when consuming 2000 calories of doughnuts. Personally, if I stick to my diet I can eat in excess of 3000 calories and lose fat. If I constantly cheat I need to bring that down to 2000-2500.

The food we eat has a direct effect on our metabolism, that's just a fact.

To keep it simple;
  • Keep sugar as low as possible
  • Time your Carbs before and after workouts and first thing in the morning
  • Fats are friendly and not your enemy. If you're older and putting on weight, there's a high chance its because testosterone levels naturally drop as you age. Healthy fats will help improve test levels!
  • Red Meat and saturated fat wont kill you
  • Aim for around 1.-1.5g protein /lb bodyweight
  • Overall aim is to be able to eat as much as possible while losing weight.
Agree with this but wanted to add

You could, in theory, eat a caloric deficit in doughnuts and still lose weight, however, back in the real world, the problem with things like sweets and cakes is that being high in sugar not only are they are calorie dense, but the calories are burnt so quickly by the body that we need more fuel (ie more calories) pretty soon after eating them. So, you munch through your 2000 calories (about 8 generic sugar doughnuts according to mfp, which is not a lot to last all day) but then you are soon hungry again and end up eating more and more food, ergo more calories.

I have tried keto and have been very low carb and while it is great for taking weight off quickly, albeit a good portion of that being water weight, I found it very difficult to maintain in the long term. That being said I did find my energy levels were both higher and more consistent when I was running my body on healthy fats. Now apart from my veggies and salads the only carbs I try to eat are rice now and then, couple of times a week maybe. Carbs are definitely not the enemy, but you do have to pick the right ones and use moderation. Same goes for protein, 1.5g per lb of bodyweight is ok if you are a pro bodybuilder who takes ahem ‘other stuff’ but for everyone else it should be well under 1g per lb, probably about 0.8. Too much protein will actually cancel out it’s own benefits and stop you from building muscle and therefore burning more fat.

My biggest and most consistent success comes from intermittent fasting, I only eat within a 6-8 hour window and the rest of the time I only drink water, a zero calorie bcaa drink or black coffee. My training, currently alternating between 5x5 weight sessions and 4-5k runs, falls right in the middle of my fasting period.

So for anyone stuck with weight loss, definitely look into intermittent fasting, greater fat burning, lower insulin levels and a massive boost in adrenal performance, so more testosterone and growth hormone. Plenty of great info on YouTube, look out for Dr Berg and a guy called Thomas DeLauer.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
sm81 (19-10-2017)