Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 20-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #11
RonanF
Washmitt Meister

I no longer frequent my dealer as my car is out of warranty. I’ve found a wonderful independent so I don’t see myself ever going back to the dealer. Over my years of visiting dealers I haven’t had very good experiences.

The biggest problem was communication. Like a previous poster mentioned, ringing at the end of the day to find out that the car had been ready for collection since lunchtime was particularly annoying.

The biggest breakdown of communication came when trying to found out exactly what was done to my car. I always like to talk to the mechanic to understand exactly what was wrong and what was done. I did not have one visit to the dealers where the service dept representative was able to explain to me in a competent, technical manner what was going on. When I asked to speak to the mechanic they took it as a personal insult! I was never anything but polite when asking for this but I was always made feel like an imposition. When I did get to speak to the mechanics the poor guys felt like they were being led into the Spanish Inquisition and were totally defensive, when all I wanted was some simple information. I suppose it’s indicative of how dumbed down the car buying public have become – the petrol goes in the hole in the side of the car and that’s all you really need to know!

When there was warranty work to be done I always felt like it was a problem and the dealer was doing me a favour by fixing it. Like many people here, when asking that the car was not washed, I was looked at as if I had four heads!

By way of contrast, my current indy couldn’t be better when it comes to communication. I recently sent my car in with a very minor suspected problem. I dropped it off in the morning and I was called by 11am telling me exactly what the problem was as well as pricing options for a VW, OEM or OM replacement part. In the afternoon when the part was fitted, I got an email telling me that the car was almost finished. When I arrived at the garage shortly afterwards the mechanic briefly put the car on the lift to show me exactly what the problem was and he then showed me the worn part that was replaced. While there he also suggested some potential preventative maintenance that I should have done in the next year. The garage is interested in building a relationship with me, they do what I ask them to do, they do what they say they’ll do, they know their sh*t, they’re not trying to rip me off and there’s no bullsh*t or white lies - I trust them implicitly with my car.
RonanF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RonanF For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (21-09-2017), Cookies (20-09-2017)