Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Peter_222
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light - underwhelmed!!

After reading so much about Gtechniq ceramic coating I finally got to examine a car 2 weeks after it was coated with crystal serum light and exo. This was applied by a professional accredited detailer.

To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. I washed the car using ph neutral snow foam, 2 bucket method with bilt hamber auto wash and meguiars microfibre wash mitt. Washed in dull mild day and dried with leaf blower.

The beading wasnít any better than Iíve experienced with waxes or sealants and the gloss wasnít that special either. The main gripe was how bug splatter has impacted onto the coating and needed a strong apc to remove which has then caused slight marring!!! I canít comment on their longevity but if this was my car Iíd be looking to polish out the bug marring and reapply a coating which obviously you wouldnít want to do with a ceramic.

Does anyone have any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Neilvx
Sponge Jockey

I have the same coating on my bmw 1 series and got to watch it being applied. It did richen the colour and you could see a difference on the bonnet etc. As for beading it’s good but nothing I haven’t seen with Sonex BSD or a good wax.

As for washing all the bug splat I had the last wash jetted right off, had to get the jet wash close but it did the job without having to scrub it off by hand.
Neilvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
Peter_222
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I had presumed with the coating the bug splatter would just hose off or come off rather easily... maybe the fella had left them on to harden too long... thanks for your input

Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
garycha
PC Perfectionist

I have same. Soaking with citrus prewash or bug remover and leaving wet for min 10 mins does trick if they are baked on. Cover front of car with wetted off bed sheet if its sunny.

Or just wash after a rainy night when nature does the softening for you.
garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
liamsxa
Washmitt Meister

It's because of they videos online ceramics should hold that just waxed look for 2 odd years and the beading should last aswell with reapplication every few months
liamsxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Peter_222
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I think I was just expecting too much. I think theyíre the same as everything. If the car isnít looked after well following the application itís not going to compete with a well looked after waxed car.

I was extremely tempted to buy that combo of ceramics but when I saw my friends Iím happy I didnít. I enjoy giving my car a thorough going over regularly and like trying new things especially with my multiple polishing machines

Old 05-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
jonjay
PC Perfectionist

I applied it to my friends Audi S4 and it is still going strong 9 months later.

It depends how well it was applied by the detailer. Did he machine polish the car? Did he do a proper wipe down with IPA...so many different factors to take into account.
jonjay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonjay For This Useful Post:
kash (06-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
garycha
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_222 View Post
I think I was just expecting too much. I think theyíre the same as everything. If the car isnít looked after well following the application itís not going to compete with a well looked after waxed car.

I was extremely tempted to buy that combo of ceramics but when I saw my friends Iím happy I didnít. I enjoy giving my car a thorough going over regularly and like trying new things especially with my multiple polishing machines

This last para shows that ceramics probably aren't for you. Light DA very 15-18 months is all I do. So not too much going over and tinkering as you describe. But, plenty of different tinkering for pre wash stages and reactivation of coatings etc.

It's important to understand that the ceramics seem to continue to cure over first few weeks, and beyond the 12hours 'safe to use' manufacturer period.

They need careful treatment for those first few weeks IME.
Once fully cured, the CS Exo combo is imho requiring far less maintenance than any waxed car I ever ran. (Quite a few btw).

The maintenance also requires a different approach. I am guilty of opposite, but you really do not want to be putting anything on top of Exo fir some months - and that includes shampoo with glosses, added sio2, QDs etc. After a few months, I am messing around with ONR, BSD, Cure Q2 and C2v3. That's the tinkering equivalent that waxers enjoy. But you shouldn't need to...

Confine you tinkering to more detail touch-less and low impact Pre wash stages, e.g. snow foam with APC under, to soften flys, dirt, loosen brake dust etc. That really means maximising dwell times and pre wash before you lay a finger on car.

Then, suddenly you realise that your 2BM is faster, your DI Sheeting easier, pat towel drying with less to absorb.

Post wash beading not the arbiter for me. That's a rain thang. It's the Sheeting dry that counts.

This is where you may introduce C2 misted as drying aid, or a little QD on rogue spots.

Car should look pretty much as it did when headed over by detailer after washes.
Did you see this car when first done?

Find a bug loosener APC that works for your regime, bearing in mind that baked bug is a tough substance, so therefore allow them to fully absorb that APC.
Gtechniq W5 bug remover is popular with some. I use VP Citrus PW 10:1 on front end, then BH AF on top and leave for 10 mins, while I do other stuff. Pressure washer then removes week sun baked bugs quite easily.
A very little QD (BSD) did any residues post wash.

As for gloss etc, compared to what else you are used to, with ceramics, it's glass and therefore a complete clear view of underlying clearcoat, warts and all. That's why prep is everything, and the car you refer to after 2 weeks, should look like it did on prep day.

....unless it was cleaned with old rags n jif, which I doubt.

Long answer to shorty question, but it's about expectations and a shift in maintenance approach.

Don't DA out the bugs from new ceramic. Next time you wash, maybe consider some of above pointers.
The Following User Says Thank You to garycha For This Useful Post:
Jmax (09-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
wish wash
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

People seem to think coatings are some sort of bullet proof armour for you car that requires little maintenance. It requires a stricter and more thorough maintenance compared to a wax. Half the time people don't get the results because they are not applying it correctly or using overly aggressive cleaning methods which degrade the hydrophobic and hydrophilic abilities of it.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wish wash For This Useful Post:
garycha (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
garycha
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
People seem to think coatings are some sort of bullet proof armour for you car that requires little maintenance. It requires a stricter and more thorough maintenance compared to a wax. Half the time people don't get the results because they are not applying it correctly or using overly aggressive cleaning methods which degrade the hydrophobic and hydrophilic abilities of it.
Succinctly said.