Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
Yulee
Sponge Jockey

Stages

Hello,

I've been thinking - what do people include & don't include in there stages, for example stage 1,2,3 or Stage 1, Enhancement, paint correction etc etc

So a stage 1 a yellow rupes pad 1-2 passes, enhancement a yellow pad and a finishing pad, correction is microfiber pad,yellow and finishing pad?

I hope that makes sense, I've always been curious what people include and don't include in there stages

Thank you

Thanks
Yulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
WristyManchego
Washmitt Meister

This is one of those questions which depends entirely on the paint.

Sometimes a whole car needs three stages but had harder paint so you don’t finish on the finest pad. Others are soft so you start soft.

Others need a cut only in specific places then stage 2 & 3 all over.
WristyManchego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,553 Times in 4,911 Posts
Garage
I hate all the "stage 1, stage 2" talk, it sounds so amateurish, like the installer doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Detailing is an art, not a science. no matter how many manufacturers try to sell "systems" it will never change the fact it simply isn't that simple. You will always need to use, whatever it is you need to use to get the job done

An enhancement is ANYTHING that improves the cars appearance permanently. It could be a 50 stage enhancement. A true correction detail is not done in stages, its done when its done. You are removing every single defect on the vehicles surface, or getting them as close as is safe to do so. This notion that doing 3 stages means all the defects are gone is laughable
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
-Kev- (28-10-2018), ace2000 (15-10-2018), Ben_W (13-10-2018), bidderman1969 (17-10-2018), bluechimp (14-10-2018), cheekymonkey (16-10-2018), Chris Donaldson (17-10-2018), Citromark (13-10-2018), detailR (13-10-2018), jimmas (17-10-2018), jolls (15-10-2018), MBRuss (14-10-2018), RandomlySet (15-10-2018), Soul boy 68 (16-10-2018), stealthwolf (16-10-2018), Steve0rs6 (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
detailR
DW Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
I hate all the "stage 1, stage 2" talk, it sounds so amateurish, like the installer doesn't really know what they are talking about.
I had this with someone a couple of weeks ago.
Looked over the car with them - gave my recommendations and they asked if "that's a stage 1 or stage 2?"
It really makes no sense at all. It's like the car tuning scene is taking up detailing.

To me, you'll do a number of passes to work the polish - this would be your polishing set.
Even a single stage machine polish can take a couple of sets to get to where you want the paint to be. Some people may turn around and call it 2 stages but it isn't really.

As to how many stages - it'll depend on the vehicle and the owners expectations.

Ceramic Pro - Auto Finesse - ODK Wax - PVD Approved SunTek Paint Protection Film
Instagram @detailr Facebook @detailR
detailR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to detailR For This Useful Post:
jimmas (17-10-2018), jolls (15-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Yup it seems every industry likes to use acronyms and buzz words ( makes you sound like you know what you're talking about apparently). My art is carried out on my drive way so stage 1 is always to put the kettle on and then have a cup of tea whilst I evaluate the weather and what I can achieve that day. Stage 2 is getting the gear out and stage 4 is putting everything away. Stage 5 is remembering the bits I need to do next time.
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suds For This Useful Post:
BertyTHeGreat (17-10-2018), Cookies (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Yulee
Sponge Jockey

This is why I'm asking what term people use!

And what stages/break down do you work from if someone wants wants a £100 "stage1/singke stage" or £5000 "stage 1,000" just so I know where I stand..

Easier to explain stage 1,2,3
Yulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
BertyTHeGreat
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Yup it seems every industry likes to use acronyms and buzz words ( makes you sound like you know what you're talking about apparently). My art is carried out on my drive way so stage 1 is always to put the kettle on and then have a cup of tea whilst I evaluate the weather and what I can achieve that day. Stage 2 is getting the gear out and stage 4 is putting everything away. Stage 5 is remembering the bits I need to do next time.
this does sound like a very similar process to my own
BertyTHeGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
jolls
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post

Detailing is an art, not a science. no matter how many manufacturers try to sell "systems" it will never change the fact it simply isn't that simple. You will always need to use, whatever it is you need to use to get the job done

An enhancement is ANYTHING that improves the cars appearance permanently. It could be a 50 stage enhancement. A true correction detail is not done in stages, its done when its done. You are removing every single defect on the vehicles surface, or getting them as close as is safe to do so. This notion that doing 3 stages means all the defects are gone is laughable
Exactly this. 100%
jolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,795 Times in 2,920 Posts
Garage
I'll sit out on this one
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #10
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,705 Times in 991 Posts
Suds and Matt (Stangalang) have this nailed.

There is no 'manual', no 'set of guidelines' for a particular car of a particular colour. Like a person, each one is an individual and will have lived an individual life. What's right for one, won't be right for another.

It's about finding what works for what you have in front of you. It takes some time to figure it and whilst you might have an idea based on previous experience, it's about the doing.

Start soft and work up until you find the level of correction you need, but, be aware 'correction' might not come as a one stage process. For example, I've recently done two cars:

A silver Citroen Xsara. Paint mostly good and I started soft and eventually worked up to a fairly firm pad and a medium cut compound. Worked for the most part, apart from the roof which was duller than dull dishwater and took a very firm pad and an agressive compound to get some kind of correction, followed by a further two steps of lighter pads/compounds to refine to a level where I was happy.

A red (but very only and almost white in places) Suzuki Alto. A wool pad and the equivalent of brickdust compound to break through the faded paint but then a medium pad and compound to correct to a level I was happy with.

The moral of the above? As I said, every car is an individual and even then, depending on individual panels, you may need to tackle up/down from where you started to get the finish you require.

Matt is bang on. It's not a process. It's an art. Art doesn't have a process.

Last edited by Ben_W; 13-10-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
jolls (15-10-2018)