Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 13-10-2018, 01:46 AM   #1
rshah7777
Unwashed Member

Garage
Refurbish Painted Alloys

Hello, this may be a novice question however I would like to get some answers and validation before I start. I have bought pre painted alloys. The paint is chipping, and got a few road rashes.

My solution to fix this would be to sand down areas that are bad, fill it with filler. Sand down till fine and smooth then apply the black paint. Do a few layers of this and apply the clear coat. Please tell me if this is correct?

Im sceptical if I need to remove all the old paint before doing it and if painting over the already painted area will effect the finish. Any help is appreciated.
rshah7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #2
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,134 Posts
Garage
Here's a recent post about a wheel refurb gone wrong.

Post #13 was my reply when I did my wheels which you'll see I went from white to silver. I didn't have road rash but did have some chipped paint so I got away with sanding the whole wheel lightly for the new paint to take. On the chipped paint areas I had to sand a bit heavier then I sprayed some filler primer on the areas with no paint only, rubbed down again then gave a number of coats of top coat then 3 coats of lacquer. All done with aerosols bought from Halfords

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=408949
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Sounds about right but I'd recommend spending the extra on proper paint rather than what you get from Halfords as it'll work out cheaper in the long run. I've also bought some Halfords stuff in a pinch recently (VW Mars Red) which has reacted with everything in sight). Even when it went on okay it still ended up with fractures in the lacquer after a few weeks. Awful stuff as I know a few others who've had similar problems. It always used to be fine to use, just a bit thin, but now I'll wait the extra few days and just get it from Paints4U instead who've always done a good job with matches for me.

1) Get some panel wipe - I have a 5l jug of Upol stuff I got years ago that I spray on and rub in with blue roll, paying particular attention to any scrapes and scratches as these hold tyre shine etc which'll prevent paint sticking properly.

2) Fill any scrapes and gouges with a 2 part filler - I'd suggest this over solvent based single pack stuff as I find it takes longer to go off before you can start to re-shape, and it also has the advantage of not sinking (UPOL P38 is easy to get hold of and a tub will last ages). Next, shape the filler and go over the whole wheel with 240 and then 400 grit wet and dry. You don't need to take all the old paint off, merely get it keyed so your fresh paint will stick.

3) Masking is most easily done with playing cards as they slip neatly between the rim and tyre (works best if your tyres have rim protectors). I tend to just wrap the rest of the wheel with cling film as it sticks well and seals them off well in conjunction with the cards. Three packs gives you enough for four 18" wheels with a fair few spare).

4) Go for a decent primer - this is what the rest of your paint will be sticking to so get some good stuff. I'd tend to use a filler primer first, sand that back and then use a normal primer on that. EnergyLine stuff from P4U is pretty good, as is the filler version.
Filler: https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDeta...productID=6465
Normal: https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDeta...productID=4535

5) Give that another go over with 600 or 800 grit until you're happy you have a smooth surface (I'd also do the rear of the spokes rather than face only as otherwise you'll end up with bubbling coming through quite quickly).

6) One last wipe down with panel wipe and a lint free cloth to get anything off and you're ready for your first colour coat. LIGHT COATS! I'll dust first, and then go for 3-4 slightly heavier coats. Make sure you're getting into all of the spokes (some wheels can be a bit of a PITA for this).
Again, for colour I just order custom colours from P4U. They match well, and have way more pigment in them vs Halfords colours. One can costs £12 and will be enough to do 4 wheels (I'd still order two to be safe) whereas with Halfords I've found you need two cans at £7 each. And the paint is both thin and offers poor longevity.

7) Lacquer. Again, thin coats otherwise you'll cause the colour underneath to run. I use EnergyLine stuff and find it dries quickly and is tough (try wetsanding Hafords vs this and you'll see what I mean). I tend to do 5-6 coats (again, 1 can is enough for four wheels or has been for me in the past).
Lacquer: https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDeta...productID=4536

8) Finally, if you want it to shine well then get your 1500 and 2000 grit wet and dry out (and 3000 if you have it) and get rid of any orange peel or rough patches as these'll hold the brake dust (been there when I've taken short cuts).

Be careful with your prep and filling, take your time and use good products. And don't spray any oil or silicones nearby while you're doing it otherwise you'll get no end of fisheyes where the paint doesn't sit.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ennoch; 13-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
ace2000 (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
ace2000
Sponge Jockey

Fantastic answer Ennoch
ace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
rshah7777
Unwashed Member

Garage
Well Enoch that has pretty much given me my answers. Thank you very much, so it is not big problem painting on top of the already painted allot? Just do the little scuff and paint over the whole thing
Old 13-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
rshah7777
Unwashed Member

Garage
Could you provide a link to the same website to a black paint I can use please? I have found this one but not sure if its any good or is good for it. https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDeta...inselection=16
Old 13-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

That may well just be tougher paint in black, or it may be slightly rubberised etc so I'd probably choose one of their normal colour matched cans and ask for a manufacturers colour code.

I did a friend's set of wheels years ago in Vauxhall Black Sapphire (which is solid) but Carbon Flash is metallic. When those wheels needed redoing after five years of abuse (they were properly chipped to pieces from gravel rash) we used Subaru Black Mica which has a goldish tint to the metallic flecks. I wasn't totally sold on it but it's another option.

This is the link I'd use: https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDeta...productID=5021

Edited to add - Remember to mask the valves properly!!

Last edited by Ennoch; 13-10-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 13-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Here are a few shots of the wheels I recently did on the scoob. Sadly I forgot to do much in the way of either before or in progress shots...these are the best I can do! But they arrived as rattle can matt black over the original gold, with corrosion, brake dust and iron fallout from the discs. A lot of sanding, scotchbrite and even the flappy wheel on a drill was all required to get them good enough to paint. I used half a can of filler primer, a full can of normal grey (linked to above), and then a can of Subaru Crystal Grey followed by another can of the lacquer I also linked to:

I didn't bother wrapping the tyres as the sidewalls were perfectly smooth and was confident I wouldn't get overspray sticking due to the good aim from the P4U nozzles. A wash of the tyres with soapy water and a dishwashing sponge was sufficient to get rid of the paint dust - if you've got tyres with the more normal textures sidewalls I'd make sure you mask them properly:

This is with them fitted to the car. Annoyingly I actually prefer the slightly darker colour given by the lighting in the garage (which looks closer to the Audi Dakota Grey my winter wheels are painted):
Old 13-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
rshah7777
Unwashed Member

Garage
Wow it looks great, I'm going to give it a go but the custom colour all I want is a black gloss look to the alloys so I'll try mention that and see what they say. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens and hopefully looks good in the end.
Old 13-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshah7777 View Post
Wow it looks great, I'm going to give it a go but the custom colour all I want is a black gloss look to the alloys so I'll try mention that and see what they say. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens and hopefully looks good in the end.
If you give them a call I'm sure they'll sort you out, they're pretty helpful.

Tags
alloys, paint, refurb