Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Eco Friendly Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Eco Friendly Detailing Talk About all your Eco Products here - Waterless wash / Steam cleaning etc

Old 11-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #41
A&J
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,196 Times in 869 Posts
Update - 3rd wash

After 9 days and 210 km. Temperature was 5 deg. C and sunny.

Products used were:
Chemical guys rinse free wash&shine
Autobrite direct project 32
Gyeon silk dryer

Thoughts on CG rinse free wash&shine:
In short nothing special. Its packed in a 16oz. or roughly 500ml bottle with the pop up cap that I like. Instructions say to put 2-3 oz. into 5 gallons of water which again is too much for me. As with any other rinseless shampoo I put 30ml (1oz) into 7,5 (2 gallons) l of water into the wash bucket and 15ml into 1,2 l pump sprayer. The color is blue and it smells of blueberries which is nice but at the same time I think the scent is too powerful.
It cleaned OK, it lubricated OK and the result was OK...but not great adn amazing. It is suppose to have gloss enhancers in it but Im not sure it added anything to the finish. Its a product that will do what its suppose to do but it doesn't bring out that WOW factor in me. When I use it up I wont buy it again. Surf city stuff is much better.

Pics prior wash

The wash

Swirl finding

Pic after wash

Thanks for watching
A&J is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
firehorse (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #42
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,970 Times in 2,521 Posts
A&J, just noticed this thread, nice work.
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowejackson For This Useful Post:
A&J (11-12-2016)
Old 13-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #43
cargainz
Orbital Oracle

A&J, would you say couple of light swirls have appeared during the 3rd week? What is main cause and if you wanted to use rinse-less wash over winter what would you advise to prevent swirls showing up by 3rd week? Use QD as drying agent?
cargainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #44
A&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargainz View Post
A&J, would you say couple of light swirls have appeared during the 3rd week? What is main cause and if you wanted to use rinse-less wash over winter what would you advise to prevent swirls showing up by 3rd week? Use QD as drying agent?
TBH the only swirls that I think have appeared from the wash were those hairline ones under the glass. Its not major so dont freak out over it so fast. I too am interested into how much damage will emerge after winter.

I have taken a look after I have polished but without proper lighting its really hard to tell what Ive missed. Also a flat CG hex logic pad did not reach all places I guess.

Nonetheless that was expected and Im not worried about it.

Whats the reason for the hairline swirls you ask? I think its the drying stage (some grit stuck in the towel or something). A QD will help but than again Ive used that too.

Are you doing rinseless washes too?
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
firehorse (13-12-2016)
Old 13-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #45
cargainz
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J View Post
Are you doing rinseless washes too?
Not doing rinseless washing but I'm interested in how things progress. I was one of those that might have been totally against rinseless/waterless washing before I read a thread like this one.
cargainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #46
A&J

Well wait til march or april to see the results and youll get to decide if you want to try it or not!
Old 17-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #47
A&J

Update - 4th wash

After 6 days and 465 km. Temperature was 4 deg. C and sunny.

Products used were:
OPT no-rinse
OPT opti-seal
Martin cox waffle dryer

Pre wash state

The wash

Swirl finding

At this stage chongo is probably laughing his pants off

A lot of damage was inflicted in this wash and I may now have a reason to finally throw away the old raggedy Martin Cox towel. I loved it but I guess its gotta go. I have bought the Gyeon waffle dryer to replace it but I am very disappointed with it as it absorbs poorly.

Ill also have to tweek my technique a bit. I remembered I used to use 2 drying towels but I guess I got to comfortable with only using 1. Before I started I dunk the first one in the wash solution and wring it so it was damp (that one I used for my first wipe. It adds more lubrication), and the second one was used to dry the car with QD. Ill do it this way next time.

I may have misjudged this a bit and should have hose rinsed it at least but this is reality for you. The damage is done and I to am curious as to how much damage we will see till spring.

So stay tuned and thanks for watching.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
chongo (17-12-2016), Cookies (17-12-2016), firehorse (17-12-2016)
Old 17-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #48
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,832 Times in 2,945 Posts
Garage
You know what A&J, I admire your honesty mate

You have gone out of your way to make these good videos, and am sure with the little tweets you are going to do, then am sure it will be better for your review.

Anyway A&J we've had a laugh so all I can say is Merry Christmas to you and your family m
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
A&J (17-12-2016)
Old 17-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #49
firehorse
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J View Post
Ill also have to tweek my technique a bit. I remembered I used to use 2 drying towels but I guess I got to comfortable with only using 1. Before I started I dunk the first one in the wash solution and wring it so it was damp (that one I used for my first wipe. It adds more lubrication), and the second one was used to dry the car with QD. Ill do it this way next time.

I may have misjudged this a bit and should have hose rinsed it at least but this is reality for you. The damage is done and I to am curious as to how much damage we will see till spring.
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to put up your videos.

I looked back at the first video and you was also using the Martin Cox towel and there weren't any significant swirls from that wash. But I did notice you wrung out the towel half way through. Did you dampen the towel first before drying that time around or was it all water from the car?

Also the Martin Cox towel this time didn't look clean when you waved it in front of the camera ... was it 'clean' from the washing machine or not?

In terms of dirt, from the video, I wouldn't have said the 4th wash was much dirtier than the 1st wash, but unless you are there, it is hard to judge

From the outside, it is hard to see any major differences between the first wash and fourth wash using the same drying towel. You would know best. Hopefully you can narrow down better what might have caused the swirls.

Thanks
firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #50
A&J

I may have only sprayed the pre-wash solution on it before I used...the towel I mean in the first video. It sucked up water as I used it.

And I haven't found the chance to machine wash it ever since so that must have been the cause for today's swirls. In all honesty I think the drying stage was my mistake here today.

As for washes. The first one was the dirtiest because of the leaves and a bit of sand&mud as I remember. Today wasn't that bad but it was a tad bit more dirty compared to the 3rd wash.

I hope you can still learn something useful from these videos. Keep your equipment clean, rags clean, buckets clean and to be on the safe side do a couple of passes before you decide to dry it.

Thank you for your support

I will continue with this until march or april depending on the weather and we will see how it holds up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
chongo (17-12-2016), JB052 (17-12-2016)