Detailing World Forum banner

Building my dream garage (and house)

86K views 117 replies 59 participants last post by  olliewills 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. This is my first post here :wave: However I've been following DW for several years.

Back in 2016 when I was 24 (I'm 27 now), me and my girlfriend "ordered" our first house. Our plot was large enough to fit a 72 m2 garage in extension of the house, which would be 166 m2, with a covered terrace in addition.

I'm a perfectionist and love to detail and maintain our cars (pictures of these will follow later) :buffer: It was therefore important to me, that I could have pretty much all of my detailing-gear in the garage as well as my other tools, 2 and 3-piece alloys etc. Having my own garage has been a dream of mine for a long time, and in the fall of 2016 the work began.

The external dimensions of the garage would be 8,39 metres long and 8,57 metres wide.

My plan with this thread is to post pictures of the drawings, the "build", show my detailing collection and my passion for cars :thumb:

Pictures to come :driver:

See less See more
#16 · (Edited)
I have now resized the pictures to a 1024 pixel width, and re-uploaded them :doublesho

Started raising the roof:

Then isolated it (weather outside was bad):

Fitted the acoustic ceiling and installed the electrics. Made both 220V (regular) and 400V for more powerfull machinery:

Used the laaarge spatula on the walls and prepared them for paint :thumb:

Next up is paint and installing the 505 cm long electric and isolated garage port :driver:

#17 · (Edited)
Paint

The paintjob really improved the overall finish. 2 layers of paint made it look spotless:

The garage port was then installed. Works like a treat :thumb:

Then began installing the working lights with my buddy. Each LED lamp is made of 2 x 18W LED pipes. I ran 4 of these in 3 rows, making a total of 2 x 4 x 3 = 24 pipes x 18W = 432W.

Next up was prepping the floor for 2-component epoxy paint.

I believe I filled and sanded around 100 larger holes. My plan was however not to make a spotless floor, since dropping tools etc. would become way to obvious.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks guys :)

I'm quite happy with the size. Ideally it would fit 3 cars, but you've got to stop at one point.

For the floor I choose a good 2-component RAL-grey paint. After one layer we applied about 2 kg of oven dried sand to make it a nonslip finish. An additional 3 layers were then applied making it a total of 48 litres of paint!

We had to get temperature up to about 28 degrees celcius and only had about 30 minutes available minutes for each layer. Otherwise it would start to cure too much.

I'm really satisfied with the finish:

Also installed a metal sink:

#28 ·
I'm glad to hear you like it too! :)

Choosing the right lift was not an easy task. In the end I choose this one. It will lift up to 3500 kg and can raise the car 185 cm. I'm 194 cm but it is acceptable since I don't plan to do much work on our cars under them :wall:

I have choosen a white, grey and blue theme, so obvious the red paint would not work. I therefore had it special ordered in blue :argie:

I then started installing some of the interior stuff. At this time I really couldn't wait any longer.

Then the lift was installed :newbie:

I started installing the shelves (things were just placed randomly and just temporarily):

I did not remember to hide the cables for the loudspeakers in the wall which annoys me a bit (cables not fitted on this picture yet) :wall:

#32 ·
I'm so sory for this :lol:

wow- very impressed! this is coming on amazing!!
Thanks a lot :)

Garage looks huge - I am sure you will spend many happy hours in there. What material are the inner walls made of? They look like vertical blocks?
Yeah it's almost like an extra room. The garage is made of the exact same materials and standards as the rest of the house. The inner walls are made of 245 cm tall by 100 cm wide concrete "blocks".

PS. I'm currently on vacation in Aiya Napa, Cyprus :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.