Detailing World Forum banner

washed car and noe EML is on?!

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Sam6er 
#1 · (Edited)
mate dropped their 56 plate Punto Grande off as theyve got a new car and want to sell this one. car was a mess and looked like a barn find.

sprayed pre-wash all over it, then jet washed, 1 bucket method as the car is trash, then even had to use a clay mitt to wash it! sprayed off and then quick detailer spray - to make it looked waxed, decent short cut :)

didnt do anything any differnet to what i do to both my cars. no crazy angles at the front end with the jet wash.

anyway, drove it back to my mates 5 mins round the corner and no probs. there happy. then tonight the lights come on by themselves. car starts like a bag of spanners and the fans kick in and the EML is on :-/

done some googlying and seems water must have got on some where. really cant see how and now my mate thinks im a clown. guna leave t to dry over nite, not helped by frezzing! and have a look tomo.

any ideas? wd40? hairdryer on the fuse box and hope for the best?

oh, and any one wants to buy a fiat punto? :lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
Could have just happened anyway and be unrelated to the wash possibly, Best bet would be one of those diagnostic things that can find any fault on top of drying any electrics. It could be one of many things, spark plugs, coil pack etc etc. Not sure why the fan kicks in from start mind. If they are getting rid would need to weigh up what its worth as is VS repairing it.

#4 ·
Its probably is just a coincident, its a 12 year old fiat so most likely was ****ed allready if it was in the state you said,

if they cant keep the outside in good order then the stuff you cant see, e.g mechanical and electrical is most likely in a worse state than the body work.

As mentioned get a diagnostic and see what the code is.

#6 ·
I would not have thought washing the car would be related to the fault. Iv owned a punto in the past and their electronics are crap at best. I think the timing was just coincidental. Its tough when things like this happen but its not as if you took a jet wash to the engine bay and left it running to ruin the car lol.
Are they trying to put the blame on you for the fault?

#9 ·
thanks for all the replies. my mates cool about it, just annoying its happened. they dont need it as bought the new one so battery disconnected and have a proper look on saturday.

fingers crossed its just a drying out issues and be ok but cant for the life of me see how a jetwashing cld have caused it :-/

i'll post an update on sat..............unless the car gets stolen and burnt out before the weekend :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.