Detailing World Forum banner

Too cold to wash??

13K views 85 replies 55 participants last post by  MSwiss 
#1 ·
Hi there been contemplating about going out to wash the cars but dont want to look like a d**k infront of the neighbours,I dont have a drive so its on street washing in a narrow street!!

When if at all do you hang the wash mitts up and say enoughs enough and wait till the weathers better?

#2 ·
As long as the water doesn't freeze (on the car or more importantly, the ground) then you're fine.

For me personally, I wash very little during the winter. When the car gets really bad, I just snow foam, rinse and leave it at that! Simply to reduce chance of swirling etc from all the grit and general crap from winter commuting.

#10 ·
When the snowfoam froze on my car I called it quits for winter last year, not to mention the water froze on the road so could’ve got in trouble for that, luckily it was a new build and we were one of 5 houses on the street at the time but won’t be making that mistake again this year. If it needs to be done I’ll probably take it to a jet wash and clean it in the bay

#12 ·
Mine will hopefully be getting it's first wash from me since ownership. Plan to do a full decon and lsp until ready for a proper full on detail.

Temps have never bothered me (neighbours think I'm crazy) , if it's gets too cold a hat and gloves and I'm good to go. Never been in a situation yet where anything has started freezing over though.

#16 ·
Just come in from doing my wife's car. Was outside for 5 hours as it was a full decon job and winter prep. It was cold but keeping busy keeps me warmer. Started to feel it at the end though and it helps with warm water in the buckets. Just get on with it I say.

#18 ·
Can't think of anything worse than leaving the car all winter. Takes an hour to do the following

PW.

Spray on a dolluted apc to soak

Pw

Clean 2 bucket.method

Rinse

Dry.
Or it takes several hours up here in Scotland when it goes something like....

Pre-wash/tfr/snow foam...
Swear at yourself when you realise this has promptly frozen on the car...
Now attempt to PW the frozen mess off...
Swear some more...
Promise to buy yourself a hot pressure washer at some point...
Finally attempt a two bucket wash with hot water in an attempt to stop the wash water freezing on the car...
all the while trying not to fall out with the wife as she gives you that "told you it was mad to attempt washing the car in this weather" look!
Then think "Damn, that's only the first of two cars that really need washing!!" :)

#22 ·
Another vote for "the neighbours probably think I'm mad" but the way I try to see it now is that I'm out there doing something active and they aren't!

One thing I would say worth considering when washing on cold days is if you aren't going to drive it again that day it might be worth taking it round the block to dry off the brakes. I don't have any evidence other than I have had siezed calipers on my last 2 cars, but I think leaving brakes wet and then letting that water freeze overnight is not good for them.

#25 ·
I'm very surprised at the answers so far especially on a forum like this. I don't think a single person mentioned SALT :eek:

I'm getting that **** off my car as much as fast possible :detailer:

Its very rare my car doesn't get washed every week. However i don't want to be faffing about outside with wet hands for long. Its out and in quick as possible.

#29 ·
Been known for washing cars in the snow.
Wash every week regardless weather, don’t mind washing in the rain speeds actually the process up a bit.
The drying is most times the problem as the thin film of water freezes rapidly, so won’t always dry.
But yes salt and mud have to come off on at least a weekly base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.