Detailing World Forum banner

How to get into concave areas?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jeebsy 
#1 ·
I'm a polishing novice and have been doing my A5 a panel at a time over the last couple of months. Took a while to find the right polish/pad combo but have been using Scholl spider pads with S3 to cut and then S40 to finish. Pretty happy with the results:

IMG_20181213_222542 by wjheenan, on Flickr

IMG_20181211_220125 by wjheenan, on Flickr

I've only got the rear bumper to do now, but there's a few curves on it which i won't be able to get to with the DA:

IMG_20181213_092327 by wjheenan, on Flickr

What's the technique for getting into those bits? Should I do the areas in the curve by hand with a foam pad?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know what the first two pictures are but for the bumper you have to use the edge of the pad clearly as it won't lay flat.

If your DA is not forced rotation it may stop turning (you did put a wide stripe on the backing plate so you can see it is turning), so you just have to experiment with it.

For small curves or tighter radius you get smaller backing plate and pads.

#3 ·
They're just random reflection shots, not much to do with the curved areas.

Got a stripe on the backing plate yep, have a 3" plate and smaller pads so will jusg try to work it with the edge then - cheers. The small Scholl pads don't seem to like being worked on curved areas (I've lost a few doing the doors etc) so might use a firmer sponge one rather than the spider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.