Detailing World Forum banner

What products to mix with Sonax BSD other than V07 ?

306K views 465 replies 147 participants last post by  GleemSpray 
#1 ·
As the title states other than V07 what are some good QDs to mix with sonax bsd to make it easier to use ?

I have tried with plusher towels etc but can't get along with the BSD alone. I much prefer how it works mixed with v07 but I'm just wondering if anyone has found a cheaper alternative than v07 to give the BSD a slicker less grabby feel ?

#392 ·
I appliedy 50:50 mix of BSD and Chemical Guys V07 last week.
After a week of baked on dust I drove to the petrol station.
Sprayed on Powermaxed Jetwash and Wax.
Put ÂŁ2 in the Jetwash machine.
Rinsed off.
Massive beading was revealed.
Drove down the 60mph road home.
The water flew off the car as if it was in zero gravity!
Got home and the car looked as clean as after a 2bm wash.
Just rinsed the last remaining specs of water away with some deionised water to stop water spotting and job done!
So the BSDV07 recipe works a treat as far as I'm concerned :thumb:

#398 ·
This is new to me so you are literally mixing BSD with one of products mentioned to make a hybrid QD of your own?

I always thought BSD was great, never considered mixing it. Whats the reason behind mixing it. Ive got a lot of done and dusted and loads of demonshine so i my try myself if theres a reason behind it

#399 ·
I think some people find BSD a bit grabby so they mix it with something more slick.

You then get the beading behaviour of BSD albeit slightly reduced with the more glossy finish of the second QD.

Someone will probably come along and explain it a bit better then me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

#401 ·
Agree BSD is grabby compared to some but is it really an issue?

It's really easy to use and even easier if used on a slightly wet panel.
The new spray bottle has helped enormously and I have also found it more grabby if too much product is applied.
You need only a really light spritz for great results. Still takes some beating as a QD.

Harry

#402 ·
A wet panel is out of the question for me; even if i pick up a water spot i'm then chasing smears around for an age.

I've tried the thinnist of applications, from a "mist" sprayer to a fine mist on the cloth and none on the bodywork, the results are still grabby/smeary. Ernest Rutherford popped round for tea and had a go at appling the finest of mists, even he had problems with smearing. I said before though, it depends on the paint. On my black Honda it is horrendous, on my silver Honda it doesn't appear anywhere near as bad, but probably because i can't see the smears.

#409 ·
A slight variation - I tried mixing Sonax Turbo detailer (similar to BSD but I think it's geared slightly more towards gloss than hydrophobicity), CarPro ech2o, and distilled water. Roughly 200ml:50ml:500ml.
The results were pretty impressive looks-wise but I haven't seen water behaviour yet.

#410 ·
I’ve never had an issue with any grabbiness from the original and latest BSD formulas, just sprayed a few shots onto each wet panel and wiped them dry.

More recently I couldn’t leave alone so mixed in 40% Auto Allure Amaranth, perhaps a fraction easier to wipe off and perhaps a little extra gloss. Can’t say it made much difference to the water repellency of BSD, so not sure it was much of a step change from 100% BSD

#413 ·
Up till now I have always been using V7 but last week picked up a bottle each of Adams Detailing spray and Bouncers Done and Dusted.

I made a 50/50 BSD mix with both the other night and did one half of the bonnet with one and one the other. Have to say both went on really well, I preferred the smell of the Adams but both performed admirably in the rain the last 3 days.

However, I just did a complete winter wash and coated with the Bouncers mix afterwards and really like the results. The gloss seems better to me than the V7 did and the application was easier.

I will keep an eye on the results for the rest of the week as the rain is expected to be back tomorrow so will be interesting to see the beading and how the gloss holds up

#415 ·
I was intrigued by this thread so I made my own mad scientsts concoction.

I started with Sonax BSD (50%)...an american product called Shine Armor Fortify quick coat, about 40% (yes I got taken in by the facebook ads...it does do a good job for gloss but no longevity)..and around 10% Meguires Ultimate Quik wax.

Here are the results...no idea how long it will last!

#420 · (Edited)
Recently watched this - might be helpful! (Beadmaker didn't come out all too well, though..)
Have you tried this combo yet? I have a load of BSD and have a gallon of Beadmaker arriving next week.
We NEED pics !
I mixed up 200ml of this today (1:1) and tried it out. It mixes as well as any other combination I've tried, and applies as easily too (spray on and spread, then buff).
Looks-wise it looks identical to P&S, nice and glossy. I didn't think to check the slickness but will tomorrow.
It's pretty miserable right now and I've just been out in it checking the beading (I might have a problem!) - it looks pretty good so far but I wasn't able to get any usable pictures.
So far, it's looking good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.