Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 27-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #31
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,549 Posts
Cracking update
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Serkie (01-10-2018)
Old 28-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
Mother-Goose

Looks great, and it looks like you've had some good builders in for the job to boot!
Mother-Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother-Goose For This Useful Post:
Serkie (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #33
JR1982

Thanked 1,199 Times in 960 Posts
Garage
Looking good.
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
Serkie (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #34
Tricky Red

Garage
A Larger scale than ours but similar I think. Looking good so far

Ours was 9m x 4m

Last edited by Tricky Red; 01-10-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Tricky Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tricky Red For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (01-10-2018), Serkie (01-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #35
Serkie

56k Icon

Evening all, time for an update...

Unfortunately things have been slower than we hoped due to a number of reasons. Main one being availability of the roofers which has resulted in a few days of no progress. The wrong flashing was ordered for the Velux's so that's stopped the roof being finished today.

Plan for the next week is 1st fix electrics, roof finished, doors and glass in. There is one wall still to take out which will commence the following week followed by the existing kitchen floor coming up and the walls and ceilings plastered.

Kitchen is currently due to be installed end of October but I'm starting to think we won't be ready. Hoping the builder can pull it off but with the lack of progress and man-power on site I have my doubts.

We're still heading in the right direction and hopefully should be done within the next 4 - 6 weeks.

So, after the steels went in the block work continued and the pad stones fitted.

Meanwhile the gaps between the steels and existing brick work were starting to be filled. As you can see we've had some slippage resulting in a big internal crack in the plaster which will be filled at a later date.

Padstones in and acrow props out (gulp)...

Family bathroom slightly less of a mess but we've decided not to refit the old suite and will strip, retile and fit a new bathroom suite.

Spare bedroom is also a mess but won't need much more than some paint once the plaster is fixed.

After a few days of nothing the roofers turned up to fit the facias and sofits.

Anyway, that's enough pictures of white plastic boards...

Roofers have today started to get the roof ready for the tiles, felt was applied and battens fixed into position. Velux windows were suppose to go in but unfortunately the flashing ordered was incorrect. New flashing ordered and hopefully here tomorrow for fitting.

...and that my friends brings us right up to date.

TO BE CONTINUED!
Serkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Serkie For This Useful Post:
Alfa male (04-10-2018), Andyblue (04-10-2018), Buck (05-10-2018), Bustanut (06-10-2018), Ducky (09-10-2018), graemeforsyth (05-10-2018), JR1982 (04-10-2018), kh904 (07-10-2018), mistryn (10-10-2018), SBM (08-10-2018), Starbuck88 (17-10-2018), WHIZZER (16-10-2018), Zetec-al (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #36
Andyblue

Looking good
Old 13-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #37
Serkie

Sorry for the lack of updates, I’ve been away with work for the week.

With that in mind, I left explicit instructions with the wife to take a few pictures each day I was away. So this week’s photo update is courtesy of Mrs Serkie’s rather blurry, over-exposed iPhone camera with a sprinkling of artistic flair...

Since I last posted a lot has happened. In fact after a few weeks of stuttering progress things went ape sh1t with multi-trades on site, cars and vans everywhere and progress moving along rapidly.

We spoke with the builder and expressed our concerns that the project was slipping and the space wouldn’t be ready for the kitchen (incoming end of month). Not sure if those words resonated with him or not but on Monday the site was buzzing, and it’s been pretty much like that all week.

We’ve had a team of roofers finishing the roof, a trio of electricians installing 1st fix electrics, a group of chaps from the window and door company plus the regular builders banging away. By all accounts it was rather hectic, my better half described it as a mini DIY-SOS episode and in the spirit of the BBC show, she baked lots of cookies and kept the tea flowing. To be honest, I was quite glad to be away but at the same time nervous/curious to know what was going on.

Anyway, enough waffle time for some pictures.

Roof was partially finished for last weekend and subsequently finished Monday resulting in the following…

I haven't seen them in operation but the skylights are electrics and will close automatically if rain is detected. You can just see the rain sensor here...

Ridge tiles need pointing to finish off but otherwise roof is done.

With the roof finished the scaffolding was promptly pulled down and the site subject to a tidy-up (it really needed it).

The electricians then started 1st fix, placing all plugs, switches and AV cables into the walls

Meanwhile in the kitchen, the old floor tiles were removed and any damage caused by the removal filled. The ducting you see assembled is being sunk into the floor, more on that later.

Upstairs the family bathroom has been prepared for a refit, the existing tiles were removed and the space made ready for the plumbers to come and relocate the soil pipe. The soil pipe was removed for the steels to be installed and also ran down a wall that has now been removed. Relocating it has been a bone of contention throughout the project and I’m not 100% sure it’s going to fit alongside the steel. Builder assures me it ‘should’ be ok but we’ll see. If it doesn’t fit we’re going to have to get creative. Last thing I want is to install a macerator. More on this also later...

Mid-week the window and door company were back to start installing the doors and window. This was a big milestone for us and also one of the biggest single outlays for the project. Thankfully they are rather awesome, very nice quality and look (IMO) great.

The electricians had also been cracking on and pretty much gone as far as they could for now, there is still work to do once the final wall is knocked through.

With the cables all in the ceilings the builders started the process of insulating the roof.

The 2nd and 3rd set of bi-folds were fitted at the same time. The feature window will be finished next week, which will complete the glass, for now. I say that as I’m stickler for uniform and the existing white UPVC windows upstairs look a bit out of place. Might be changing those soon as well then.

That's it for now, more next week.

Thanks for reading.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Serkie For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (13-10-2018), kh904 (15-10-2018), mistryn (13-10-2018), Starbuck88 (17-10-2018), Zetec-al (14-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #38
mistryn

Garage
I love reading this thread, it has given me so many ideas, love the bi folding doors, looks like the work is progressing nicely to come back into time table
mistryn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mistryn For This Useful Post:
Serkie (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #39
Andyblue

Cracking update and really looking smart now.

Just got a bit of info - you’ve got a dry ridge installed, so no pointing up required - that’s it finished
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Serkie (13-10-2018), streaky (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #40
Serkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Cracking update and really looking smart now.

Just got a bit of info - you’ve got a dry ridge installed, so no pointing up required - that’s it finished
Well there you go, thanks for the info didn’t know that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Serkie For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (13-10-2018)