Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 15-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
marc81
Unwashed Member

It's been a while.. am I out of date? :-D

Hi All,

For the past 6 years I've owned a car that I've never really taken to so didn't tend to look after it half as much as previous cars (hastily bought when we had kids as my Fabia VRS wasn't big enough). Due to this I haven't really kept up with what are the best products and just occasionally bought things that I used years ago.

At the weekend however I picked myself up an Astra Sports Tourer CDTI SRI in black, one which I tend to look after!

In my current small arsenal of cleaning products I have some Autoglym Shampoo, PB Blackhole and some Bilt Hamber double speed wax. Wheel wise I just have some cheap and cheerful Triple QX Fall Out remover from eurocarparts.

Would the above still be adequate for keeping the Astra looking nice and clean or is there something much better to replace these things to someone on a reasonably low budget? Am I missing anything vital? I'd like a nice glossy finish.

Thanks for any help!

Marc
marc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Razormck
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I'd be inclined to look at a Tar remover and some form of clay either a bar or a mitt

Widely available and Bilt Hamber is very good value and readily available online
Razormck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,542 Posts
I’d get some tar remover - AG tar remover is good and inexpensive and probably an everyday wheel cleaner - Power Maxed frequent use wheel cleaner is good.

G3 clay mitt is good and easy to use if you want to decontaminate the paint.
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Tricky Red
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
I’d get some tar remover - AG tar remover is good and inexpensive and probably an everyday wheel cleaner - Power Maxed frequent use wheel cleaner is good.

G3 clay mitt is good and easy to use if you want to decontaminate the paint.
In the spirit of agreeing and disagreeing with Andy here, I'd strongly recommend a tar remover but maybe something a bit stronger from Autosmart. I'd be a bit wary of a clay mitt on Vauxhall paint which can be soft and prone to marring.

Just be wary especially as it is BLACK and be prepared to correct the paint anyway.
Tricky Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tricky Red For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (15-10-2018)
Old 15-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
marc81
Unwashed Member

Thanks guys, yes a Tar remover is definitely on the list to buy... the Wife's car is red and shows the tar spots badly so it'll be good to have. I'll check out the Power Maxed frequent use wheel cleaner, seems cheap at eurocarparts which is local to me. I tried clay barring my black Fabia VRS once and I don't think my technique was right... may have another go but it's a bit beyond me as a pure amateur haha.
marc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marc81 For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (15-10-2018)
Old 16-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Chris@N
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc81 View Post
I tried clay barring my black Fabia VRS once and I don't think my technique was right... may have another go but it's a bit beyond me as a pure amateur haha.

With the way clay has moved in the last few years you’ll find it very quick and easy. If you were more into the scene around 5 years ago then the mitts and cloths were just starting to come around.
I use the AutoSmart clay cloth...
Bowl of warm water, bottle of diluted qd, and you’re well away.
It used to take me around an hour to clay a car with a bar. It takes me longer to make a cup of tea for guests now than it does to clay a whole small car.
There is a time and a place for a bar, but the clay cloths are so easy to use and quick to use it’s a pleasure to do...

Just my opinion
Chris@N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
Rocks703
Washmitt Meister

As people have mention ref. the clay etc for decontamination. Black is always hard to keep looking sweet. But the PB Blackhole is fantastic at hiding those imperfections. and that wax on top you should be looking sweet for 2 months +
Rocks703 is offline   Reply With Quote