Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 14-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
ad_182_uk
Washmitt Meister

Rupes Duetto best place to buy?

I have been using something similar to this for a while now;

https://www.waxyclean.co.uk/media/ca.../3/234-282.jpg

pretty old school rotary and rather weighty! I tend to use it less than 10 times a year as im only an enthusiast and was thinking of changing to something probably a bit smaller and lighter but still with decent speeds of correction.

I just dont really know what to go for now that the DA market has got more competitive.

Basically looking for something that can;

Do a Golf sized car, but still be useful in some tighter areas on the bumper etc.
not be too heavy or loud
will accomodate my 6in pads but perhaps also smaller pads since its only for personal use.

is there a DA / rotary that fits this requirement? Rupes / vertool / shinemate?!

After looking through a few thread its looks like the Rupes Duetto would be a good choice??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ad_182_uk; 14-02-2018 at 03:41 PM.
ad_182_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Duetto is a 5" machine I believe, that can also do sanding.

Unless you buy the £99 kamikaze Collection backing plate then you won't be able to fit spot pads to it for tight areas.

If you just want something with a 5" backing plate to do most of the car quickly, then the Rupes LHR15 MK2 is probably a good bet. Couple it with some microfibre pads and the cut should be pretty good.

Of course, you could get similar results from something like a DAS 6 Pro or any other 15mm orbit polisher, but it's up to you if you want the Rupes or a cheaper version.

Lots of people like gear driven DA polishers as well, such as Flex polishers, the new Rupes Mille, or the Vertool Force Drive.

Coming from a rotary that might be more up your alley, as you don't have to worry about pad stall like with a regular DA.
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,925 Times in 2,247 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_182_uk View Post
Basically looking for something that can;

Do a Golf sized car, but still be useful in some tighter areas on the bumper etc.
not be too heavy or loud
will accomodate my 6in pads but perhaps also smaller pads since its only for personal use.

is there a DA / rotary that fits this requirement? Rupes / vertool / shinemate
You have mastered the rotary and are comfortable using it so I'd stay with this type of machine. I have a Rupes LH18EN rotary that fits your requirements of being lightweight (only 2.0 Kg), quieter than a DA and smoother to operate as well. The light weight and lack of any vibration is particularly noticeable when working on the vertical side panels of a car where the weight of the machine has to be supported.

Different size backing plates are readily available and will allow the smaller size pads you mention to be used without buying a second polisher.

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan W For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (01-06-2018)
Old 15-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
ad_182_uk
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
You have mastered the rotary and are comfortable using it so I'd stay with this type of machine. I have a Rupes LH18EN rotary that fits your requirements of being lightweight (only 2.0 Kg), quieter than a DA and smoother to operate as well. The light weight and lack of any vibration is particularly noticeable when working on the vertical side panels of a car where the weight of the machine has to be supported.

Different size backing plates are readily available and will allow the smaller size pads you mention to be used without buying a second polisher.

Alan W
Haha i wouldn’t say mastered but what you have mentioned sounds interesting. Ill have a look!
Old 17-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Itstony
Washmitt Meister

A comment that is a personal one only on a subject that has been beaten to death.
There always seems to be way too much focus on the cost. Although it is a personal important factor, the quality of what you want should be as equal.
AlanW has explained the pros for a Rupes LH18EN excellently. Yet many will immediately think its too good and costly.
"It is not cheap, it is good value". It is even more interesting now its reduced due to the 19 release.
Never by cheap tools, you just end up replacing them as a rule with another cheap tool.
look for quality and good value always. JMHO.
You will need to buy the b/plate and pads still, but only what you choose.
The compounds and pads and consumables are where the biggest costs are.
The Rupes will outlast you and you could resell it anytime in a heartbeat. But you will not want to as its a top, top tool.
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
ad_182_uk
Washmitt Meister

I have been having a rethink on the above and i think i have come to the decision that i could probably continue to use my rotary for large flat horizontal panels.

My troube is deciding between a deutto or the lhr75 for areas like doors, wings, bumpers etc.

I am leaning slightly more towards the mini as then i will have a variation of pad diameters on the fly depending on whether i use my rotary or the mini.

Any more thoughts?
Old 24-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
I have been having a rethink on the above and i think i have come to the decision that i could probably continue to use my rotary for large flat horizontal panels.

My troube is deciding between a deutto or the lhr75 for areas like doors, wings, bumpers etc.

I am leaning slightly more towards the mini as then i will have a variation of pad diameters on the fly depending on whether i use my rotary or the mini.

Any more thoughts?
Trust me on this you will be surprised how much you will use the Rupes 75mm on your car

It's my Achilles heel when I come to use it, it tackles the areas where your 5"-6" can't get to and it's a joy to use.

Get it and you will definitely not regret it one bit
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Alan W (24-02-2018)
Old 24-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,895 Posts
Garage
And if you look on the personal sales section now, someone is selling a newish Rupes 75mm with 8 pads and clothes
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:

Agree with this. The Mini is the same as the Duetto except with a smaller 75mm backing plate and I love mine for curved panels, roof pillars, ‘B’ pillars, mirrors, sills, bumpers etc.

Alan W
Old 24-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Trust me on this you will be surprised how much you will use the Rupes 75mm on your car

It's my Achilles heel when I come to use it, it tackles the areas where your 5"-6" can't get to and it's a joy to use.

Get it and you will definitely not regret it one bit
Definitely second all of this!

I own a Mk11 TT and the Rupes Mini can probably be used on 50% of the car's paintwork at least due to the curved shape of most panels.

Don't forget that, unlike a rotary, a smaller DA spot pad cuts more than the equivalent full size pad.

Alan W
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan W For This Useful Post:
suds (02-06-2018)