Detailing World Forum banner

Opinions - bird bomb etchings

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Slammedorion 
#1 ·
Got a Golf coming to me shortly for a friend. He's just bought it and viewed it when it was raining - fatal mistake. It's covered with etchings so I said I'll have a look at it for him.

I'm thinking either Menz 203s or Megs 105 on hexlogic orange then followed with Menz SF4000 on black depending on haze left over, possibly white if I need a bit more out of it.

Machine DAS6 Pro.

Sound alright?

Thanks,

Matty

See less See more
#4 ·
I dont think its that bad, I've had birds drop their crap on my car and leave a mark with a kind of rainbow like outline where its etched. Zaino Fusion Dual action paint cleaner sorted it for me. drop of that on a small polishing applicator, did it by hand. As above, least aggresive first and I think you'll be fine.

#7 ·
Hi AS_BO

Get the car cleaned to start with and before using any compound or polish try a bit of heat with a heat gun, or as I use, the mrs's hairdryer.

You would be amazed at what bird etchings will come out without even touching the paintwork.

Hairdryer method.
Heat the area up gently with the nozzle a couple of inches above the paint.
Build heat for 15-20 seconds, inspect difference.

If not much change, without getting the panel too hot, try above process again.
Let it cool back down gradually though, and don't rush to cool it with a damp cloth or anything, and certainly don't apply any polish while its still hot.

Between heat sessions, just give the area a light wipe with a soft MF cloth.

I've got a black MINI and the mrs used to park it under the trees in summer at work.
This method works, you wouldn't believe it.

Although I have success, some of the older etches are more difficult to get out, and I sometimes resort to a bit of polish then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.