Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 12-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #1
vw754
Washmitt Meister

meguiars 101 or 105 ?

hi, ive machine polished a few cars(DAS 6-PRO D.A)

using megs 105 and got good results in removing scratches/blemishes/swirls etc,i need to buy some more but ive seen some megs 101 is this better or as good as 105?

i mainly use on hard german paint audi/vw etc

I see the 101 is mainly for foam pads which is what i use with my d.a .......also which pad is good for heavy cut?

ive used heavy cut pads from autobrite direct which are good,but im sure there must be some slightly better ones?......can you recommend ? 5" pads.
vw754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Titanium Htail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Most of that dusting is user created, the 105 has a working point, that dusting is an indication that the length of working time so a visual cue.

Keeping that work area to six times your pad size is a good recommend option, from #kevinbrown.

The product works in combination with #205 as the final product.

You can mask the car to protect it plus washing at the end may be another option. The cutting ability between 101/105 may be very similar have been used as a standard combination for years.

For many a paint depth guage will be essential, watching those edges plus using the right pad size for the paint, to keep it protected at all times.

Plenty of alternative pads options I use Lake Country some of this is what you are familiar with using, at these higher brands no one pad may give that cut more than keeping our pads clean plus renewed. The more clean pads the better overall result where many cars may not have been compounded before.

Foam pads on a Das6 will work well give good results over time..

Good luck.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titanium Htail For This Useful Post:
vw754 (13-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Sh1ner

M101 is preferable in my experience and is what 105 should have been but others prefer M105.
I find M101 cuts better,works longer, dusts less and gives an excellent base for M205 to finish.
I mask trim to avoid any chance of staining.
German paint can be very hard and I usually try M101 with a Chemical Guys yellow hex pad first, if I know it is still factory paint but sometimes even that can take a little time and a change to M100 and/or wool or microfibre pad can help if time is tight but hard paint is hard paint.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
vw754
Washmitt Meister

[quote=Titanium Htail;5497262]Most of that dusting is user created, the 105 has a working point, that dusting is an indication that the length of working time so a visual cue.

Keeping that work area to six times your pad size is a good recommend option, from #kevinbrown.

The product works in combination with #205 as the final product.

You can mask the car to protect it plus washing at the end may be another option. The cutting ability between 101/105 may be very similar have been used as a standard combination for years.

For many a paint depth guage will be essential, watching those edges plus using the right pad size for the paint, to keep it protected at all times.

Plenty of alternative pads options I use Lake Country some of this is what you are familiar with using, at these higher brands no one pad may give that cut more than keeping our pads clean plus renewed. The more clean pads the better overall result where many cars may not have been compounded before.

Foam pads on a Das6 will work well give good results over time..

Good luck

Last edited by vw754; 13-09-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 13-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
vw754
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
M101 is preferable in my experience and is what 105 should have been but others prefer M105.
I find M101 cuts better,works longer, dusts less and gives an excellent base for M205 to finish.
I mask trim to avoid any chance of staining.
German paint can be very hard and I usually try M101 with a Chemical Guys yellow hex pad first, if I know it is still factory paint but sometimes even that can take a little time and a change to M100 and/or wool or microfibre pad can help if time is tight but hard paint is hard paint.
nice one ////thanks
Old 13-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
vw754
Washmitt Meister

i am currently using these pads .... https://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/in...te-direct.html

will these give the same cut as chemical guys hex pad or lake country pad?

which pad would you guys recommend id like a heavy cut pad and a medium one too.
Old 13-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Sh1ner

I, mainly, really only use CG pads the yellow is the hardest and the one I use most often is the green.
I find the green so versatile for general work because it can leave a finish that looks good enough to wax even though you have only used compound but for VW/Audi paint I find it a little soft. It is ok for light swirls and a good starting point but generally I use something harder.
For finishing the blue and black and red are probably my most used but the white has a place.
I have boxes and boxes of other different pads that I mean to try but never get seem to get round to it properly. Although looking on here at some of the excellent results, using other products, it probably pays not to get too hung up about it.
I would try what you have before purchasing any more. I find it best to only change one thing at a time so you know what each change brings.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh1ner For This Useful Post:
vw754 (13-09-2018)