Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 17-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
EJs
Sponge Jockey

Treating tarnished alloys

Hi All,
I'm a noob when it comes to anything metal or wheels related for that matter.
I bought a used car and want to spruce up the wheels a bit without doing the whole refurb/laser cut etc.
The wheels are alloys, 19inch, the face looks like it's bare metal but may have clear coating on it(?) but deteriorated over the years. Just inside of the face/spokes etc is painted.
I want to get some help as to what's best to eliminate the tarnished/corroded(?) regions on the face.
Is using metal polish the best method but I'm afraid it will be too severe.
Many thanks.
EJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2164.jpg (88.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2166.jpg (86.7 KB, 48 views)
EJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,297 Posts
Garage
Hi, They look like a diamond cut wheel by the looks of it. If so use a lathe on the face of the wheel and then its clear coated. They are renowned for the lacquer having issues after a few years coming away from the surface, search for 'white worm' and you'll probably see the issue. They look great but dont seem to last like regular painted wheels.

I fear there is little you can do to save them apart from a refurb, Metal polish is more for exhausts etc as the wheels are lacquered they are really treated in a similar way to paint. I have seen videos of people sanding back these areas and re-lacquering but depends on if you feel that would be acceptable or your confident to do it
Christian6984 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian6984 For This Useful Post:
EJs (18-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 12:51 AM   #3
EJs
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
Hi, They look like a diamond cut wheel by the looks of it. If so use a lathe on the face of the wheel and then its clear coated. They are renowned for the lacquer having issues after a few years coming away from the surface, search for 'white worm' and you'll probably see the issue. They look great but dont seem to last like regular painted wheels.

I fear there is little you can do to save them apart from a refurb, Metal polish is more for exhausts etc as the wheels are lacquered they are really treated in a similar way to paint. I have seen videos of people sanding back these areas and re-lacquering but depends on if you feel that would be acceptable or your confident to do it
Thanks so much for your prompt reply Christian.
Yes I was anticipating not liking the answer that there's nothing I could do, without refurbishing it. I googled white worm and surprise surprise the first page I clicked on had the exact same rim as mine (on pistonheads)! :S
If I decide to keep the car for a long time I may refurb them eventually or will get new rims. Thanks again!
EJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
AnthonyUK
Sponge Jockey

You can rub down the clear coat and paint them all one colour which are much easier to maintain.
AnthonyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Pinky
PC Perfectionist

Try using meguirs cutting polish as it may make the marks slightly less then polish .
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote