Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
lgsnoddy
Unwashed Member

New car first wash- feedback

Hi all, so I got a brand new Kia Rio in graphite 2a few weeks back and after having a few years in an unloved workhorse Skoda fabia, I want to take a lot better care of my beloved new car.

So a week of research on this forum and others I grave it a wash today, nothing fancy with some new products I bought yesterday. And I’m impressed. So I spendt about 50 quid on some stuff to get me started but where do I go from here? Hers what I did today:

Rinse

Pre wash using mr pink - just put this in a hose attachment I have and it foamed up nicely- I don’t have room for a pressure header

Rinse

Wash with megs gold class shampoo- and mega lambs wool mit with two buckets and grit guards

Rinse

Dry with a huge microfibre towel

Wheels - active wonder wheels and wheel brush, the stuff that goes purple

Glass - cleaner with nico? The b and q stuff, then applying rain x

So where do I go from here when I have a bit more money to spend? Also what should I use for the interior?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers
lgsnoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,288 Posts
I suggest a nice wax to protect the paint and make your regular wash procedure a lot easier.
Something like Fusso coat or BH double speed wax, both are about £20 so won’t break the bank.
ODK Cabin for the interior, this leaves a good original finish and smells fab.

Gonz
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
bigbruiser
Washmitt Meister

Agree with Gonzo BH DSW is £20 and i would get some BH surfex HD APC goes a long way and also under £20 for 5L which will clean the Inside.
Also i would not use wonder wheels as a weekly wash bit harsh
bigbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,045 Times in 693 Posts
Leave the wonder wheels well alone..... You need a non acid based wheel cleaner for regular use. What I would also suggest is getting a decent sealant on the wheels asap. I've bought Carbon Collective platinum wheels for mine, just need to get it on them.

As Gonzo says, you need some form of protection. Either a wax (either of his mentioned ones are great) or you could go the sealant route which is what I've done on my golf.

Interior - I'm currently using Wowos interior finisher which does a very good job. ODK Cabin does seem to come very highly recommended too. Seat you don't mention if they are cloth or leather. Mine are cloth and I'm using Wowos fabric sealant on them. Should keep them from marking.

As for glass, a lot of the sealants on the market work on glass too. Might be worth considering.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
OvEr_KiLL
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,102 Posts
get your wheels sealed up and use this diltued at 20-1 https://www.odkwaxes.co.uk/product/w...s-rotate-500ml
OvEr_KiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
lgsnoddy
Unwashed Member

Cheers guys, I will lock the wonderwheels away then! I got my hands on some collinite 845 last week pretty cheap and snapped it up because I’ve heard very good things, how should I incorporate this into my routine?

I’ve gone with the cabin interior stuff cheers, will wait til I have a bit more time to look into wheel sealant. Cheers
lgsnoddy is offline   Reply With Quote