Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 29-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

Clay before paint correction?

How important is it to clay bar the paint before full paint correction? I decided to skip the clay process and I've achieved a shiny swirl free finish with my DA + Scholl S17 + Hex Orange. I assume the polishing stage will have removed any contaminants?

Car was cleaned prior to correction.

Thank you.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,816 Posts
By not removing all the “junk” from the paint prior to starting to correct it you run the risk of if being panicked up by the pad, this would result in the same bit of “junk” being on the pad when you then attempt to correct the pain and possibly inflicting more marks
Old 29-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
DLGWRX02
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,436 Times in 965 Posts
Garage
How you clean your car is entirely your own choice, but if your after the perfect finish don’t skimp on the preparation. Before polishing paint you really need to get it as clean and contamination free as possible. You wouldn’t normally remove the fallout or tar by simply washing, some chemical or physical intervention is almost certainly required.
Just think what could of happened if a bit of tar or iron fallout got trapped in your pad, you carry on moving that over the body work and then wonder why you get marring or the likes of pigtail scratches.
Always to be better safe, than sorry later. ����
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
BradleyW (29-03-2018), todds (30-03-2018)
Old 30-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,419 Posts
Polishing does not remove tar spots.
Maybe your car wasn’t heavily contaminated but it’s definitely not a process to be skipped in fact I think it’s one of the most important.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to great gonzo For This Useful Post:
BradleyW (07-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 AM   #5
Ruairi
Sponge Jockey

Polishing does not remove contaminants. Claying, depending on the cars condition, is crucial step in paint finishing. Running the risk of a machine polisher hitting a bonded contaminant or a spot you have potentially missed can send you a step back. You could run the risk of swirling, scratching or even damaging your pad. But claying isn’t something you should do frequently either.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #6
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Polishing does not remove contaminants. Claying, depending on the cars condition, is crucial step in paint finishing. Running the risk of a machine polisher hitting a bonded contaminant or a spot you have potentially missed can send you a step back. You could run the risk of swirling, scratching or even damaging your pad. But claying isn’t something you should do frequently either.
I'd have to disagree. On my car, the panel above the front wheel has not been polished (applies for both sides of the car). This section was clay barred today. It was heavily contaminated. The other panels which had been polished had little to no contamination when I clay barred them today. The polished sections didn't get clay barred prior to their polishing correction.

I understand some panels get more contaminated than others, but the bottom of the front doors is just as susceptible to such contaminants as the uncorrected front upper wheel panels.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BradleyW For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-06-2018)