Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Sports and Fitness Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Sports and Fitness Zone For everything from Football to Rugby to Tennis and everything in between!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #21
ITHAQVA
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,785 Posts
Garage
Saturday’s 5X5

Really strange, felt low on energy. But had good results, perhaps the curry last night helped

Squat 114KG/256.5LB 5X5

Overhead Press 58KG/130.5LB 5X5, very pleased with this

Dead Lift moved up to 130KG/292.5 just to see how it felt, result 1X5 Felt light, but I’ll stick to adding 2KG/4.5LB for a few weeks.

Adding another 2KG/4.5LB to all exercises except my bench which is still a measly 85KG/191.25LB
ITHAQVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
MarkH
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHAQVA View Post
Any help on improving my Bench Press & Over Head/Front Press strength would be great mate as I seem incredibly weak in these lifts.
I would put them at the start of the workout, I don't know your current routine but if you are only training these body parts once a week, think about doing them twice a week, one heavy one medium light?
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkH For This Useful Post:
ITHAQVA (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
MarkH
Orbital Oracle

I would also avoid doing singles only rarely and I personally think 5x4 reps is a better routine as the time taken to do 5 reps means the white fast twitch fibres are getting to the end of their use.
ITHAQVA (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
ITHAQVA
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
I would put them at the start of the workout, I don't know your current routine but if you are only training these body parts once a week, think about doing them twice a week, one heavy one medium light?
Quote:
I would also avoid doing singles only rarely and I personally think 5x4 reps is a better routine as the time taken to do 5 reps means the white fast twitch fibres are getting to the end of their use.
Just started to do Benches at beginning, the squats were taking it out of me

I have tried incorporating a light training day many years ago & soon lost inspiration, its all or nothing for me

Bench Press is done once one week, twice following week, then i repeat.

I have always trained for strength not for size, even when doing bodybuilding exercises the emphasis was always low reps & progressively add weight for strength.

However I like the idea of 5X4 as many years ago I used to do a 1-4 rep range, adding 2KG/4.5LB, once 4 reps was achieved. As the weights get heavier doing 5 reps is tiring, I can also see why you bring the total number of sets down. My best strength gains were with the 1-4 rep range too; ironically this is where I gained the most size which goes against all the books ive read

This first 5X5 phase requires I Squat 3 times a week; I’m beginning to think twice is more than enough, what do you think Mark? And replace with perhaps a Standing calf raise, 1-4 reps, powerlifting style?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
MarkH
Orbital Oracle

To be honest there are so many routines and variety of routines out there it is easy to get overloaded by information and let common sense pass you by.

A lot of people write routines and books because they are good at writing and trying to make a living, some champions will tell you how they train but you can't train the same way, because you are not the same and will have to change your routine to overcome your own weakness, if you don't you will always be weak!

If you don't like an exercise or are weak at it, do it as soon as you walk in the gym, do it more and more frequently and you will master it and become stronger at it.

Becoming stronger is not about strength training, it is about weakness training!

In the end what do you want to achieve out of your training?
ITHAQVA (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #26
Matt.
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,027 Times in 927 Posts
Doug, i'm calling on you here.

How do you know what certain excersises are. Such as - Bent Over Row - Overhand Grip?

I really want to get a bit of shape for my holiday and then keep it up. It's a incentive for me.
Matt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt. For This Useful Post:
ITHAQVA (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
MarkH
Orbital Oracle

Overhand means your knuckles are on top of the bar

Underhand=reverse

And for demos get a smartphone app or have a look at youtube?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkH For This Useful Post:
ITHAQVA (12-11-2011), Matt. (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
ITHAQVA
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
To be honest there are so many routines and variety of routines out there it is easy to get overloaded by information and let common sense pass you by.

A lot of people write routines and books because they are good at writing and trying to make a living, some champions will tell you how they train but you can't train the same way, because you are not the same and will have to change your routine to overcome your own weakness, if you don't you will always be weak!

If you don't like an exercise or are weak at it, do it as soon as you walk in the gym, do it more and more frequently and you will master it and become stronger at it.

Becoming stronger is not about strength training, it is about weakness training!

In the end what do you want to achieve out of your training?

I want maximum strength gains/the ability to execute the following barbell exercises with the most weight possible for me in good form for 1-4/5 reps

Squat
Deadlift
Standing Calve Raise
Flat Bench press
Standing Overhead Press
Bent over row (Overhand & underhand grips)
Close Grip Bench Press
Shoulder Shrug
Upright Row

Goal weights for single rep lifts:

Squat: 500LB
Deadlift: 500LB
Bench Press: 450-500LB
Overhead Press: Have no idea one what is a sensible goal on this lift

I was intending to do 10 week phases of the 5X5, on each new 10 week phase remove some exercise & replace with some of the above & max out. And move them around for instance doing more deadlifts than squats on one 10 week phase.

This first 10 week phase i emphasise Squat, Deadlift, bench, Overhead press & bent over row (Overhand grip)

Next 10 week phase replace one of the squat days with the Standing calf raise & the bent over row over hand grip with a bent over row underhand grip.

And so on until I’ve done all the above exercises then start again & keep going through these 10 week phases, with one week off between phases & as the weight gets heavier reduce the amount of sets & bring reps down to 4.

Hope this makes sense

If you want to know why i want to train in such a way, i love the challenge of lifting heavy weights, it just makes me feel reall good, im happiest when im training, i love to hate the weights.

Last edited by ITHAQVA; 12-11-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #29
ITHAQVA
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt. View Post
Doug, i'm calling on you here.

How do you know what certain excersises are. Such as - Bent Over Row - Overhand Grip?

I really want to get a bit of shape for my holiday and then keep it up. It's a incentive for me.
Hiya matt also go here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Shows you loads of exercises with videos
The Following User Says Thank You to ITHAQVA For This Useful Post:
Matt. (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
MarkH
Orbital Oracle

Bent over rowing, I have always found to be an injury promoting exercise along with a fair few other people, so I like to do that one concentrating on form and function more than the weight I lift.

Standing calf raise, I can move **** loads of weight on that, but have never heard of anyone wanting to break any records with that exercise before

Shrugs who can say what is a good shrug or a bad one, I think again form is more important with this one?

In powerlifting the heaviest is usually dl then squat then bp, who's routine are you following?
ITHAQVA (17-06-2012)

Tags
powerlifting, wendlers 5/3/1