Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #261
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Part 17 - Bumper

Hi all,

An update for you.

I'd been searching daily for a tailgate or bumper and contacted countless breakers, but turned up nothing.

Finally, one lunch time I ran my saved search on eBay and spotted a suitable bumper which had been listed within a matter of hours!

Hyper Blue and described as 'Grade A condition'. I would have bought it immediately, but noticed that the postage was showing Royal Mail 2nd class which clearly wasn't right, so decided to call the seller who was a Mini breaker to confirm.

The lady I spoke to was very helpful and checked it was definitely the right part etc. I asked whether she had the tailgate from the same car - after checking she found that they did have it, but it was from a car with a blue roof (no good to me), however they do offer a painting service. She immediately understood what I wanted and told me to continue with buying the bumper and she would send a quote for painting the tailgate.

The bumper was more expensive than most at £150, but I was willing to pay for one in good condition and after searching for so long - I didn't really care what it cost!

A few days later the bumper arrived - my long suffering neighbours signed for it for me. I did what most of us on here would do - took it straight into the lounge and began unwrapping naturally the cat was involved.

Their description of 'grade A condition' certainly did not disappoint! It is in superb condition. The reason for this became apparent when I turned it over - a sticker dated September 2016 'MINI R53 rear bumper - primer' it's only a year old!!!

One of the side trim pieces was scuffed as I had seen in the pictures, so I very simply swapped it with the undamaged piece from my car.

I then moved it to the garage and set about giving it a 'detailing world special'! I wiped the inside of the bumper clean with APC - there was only a light film of dirt. Lots of primer showing in there!

Next, I decided to get the DA out, as it had some very light marks as if it had been wiped with a dirty cloth - I used Ultimate Compound and a medium polishing pad, this got rid of all the marks very easily. I then applied a coat of FK1000P and it was ready.

I waited until the weekend to fit it, as I wanted to take my time - rather than rushing in the evening. It also gave me time to get some more scrivets delivered, so I could rip the old ones off without even trying to save them - I have NO patience with them as many long term followers of this thread will know!!

The bumper is removed by pulling off two rubber pieces which are visible with the boot open - this reveals two screws which must be removed, then one 8mm bolt which is located above and to the right of the right hand exhaust pipe. Then there is one screw each side behind the wheel arch moulding which holds the side trim pieces on.

If I was a Haynes manual, the next step would be to undo the scrivets situated in the wheel arches - most likely involving the wheels being removed. Luckily, I have learnt that they will definitely not undo - so I grabbed the old bumper firmly and pulled like hell, and saved myself all of the trouble. All the old scrivets dropped onto the floor and were ceremoniously thrown in the bin.

With the bumper removed and thrown out the garage door - I then realised I had forgotten to remove the fog lamp unit and shee****ly took it back inside to remove it.

I cleaned up the area behind the bumper with some APC and began refitting. The new scrivets were fitted ( no need to screw them in - just push firmly and it fits together) and all other bits reassembled.

I'm so much happier not having a big hole in my bumper! I gave the car a quick wash and went out for a blast - because that's what it does best.

The price on the tailgate came back - much cheaper than I had imagined. £75 for bare tailgate and £75 for painting the top white. You can't grumble at that!

I decided to get a few extras too -

Grab handle (so I have a proper working boot button and reg plate lights) £45

Rear wiper motor (as the spindle on mine has worn smooth, so the wiper drops down onto the tailgate as the car bumps around) £35

Shipping is pricey at £50, however I can't do it much cheaper - due to the distance, I worked out that it would cost £30 in diesel if I used my Mum's Freelander (the most economical car I have access to) and may not even fit in. I dread to think what it would cost to do the journey in my Discovery at 25mpg! I could organise my own courier, but I'd prefer that any issues were the breaker's problem, not mine.

So £280 all-in for the tailgate, painting, shipping and extras seems fair to me. Especially if it's anything like as good as the bumper!

I hope to get it next week, I can polish it (if necessary) and transfer hardware over from my current tailgate, then hopefully fit the next weekend.

I need to remove the spoiler from my current tailgate - it's bonded on, so I had a go last weekend with fishing line, I made a little bit of progress - but it kept snapping as soon as I made any headway. So I have bought some proper metal windscreen removal wire, which should make light work of it with a bit of heat from a hairdryer.
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
AS_BO (11-10-2017), Cookies (11-10-2017), SBM (23-10-2017), williamsclio1 (13-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #262
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Hi all,

An update for you.

I'd been searching daily for a tailgate or bumper and contacted countless breakers, but turned up nothing.

Finally, one lunch time I ran my saved search on eBay and spotted a suitable bumper which had been listed within a matter of hours!

Hyper Blue and described as 'Grade A condition'. I would have bought it immediately, but noticed that the postage was showing Royal Mail 2nd class which clearly wasn't right, so decided to call the seller who was a Mini breaker to confirm.

The lady I spoke to was very helpful and checked it was definitely the right part etc. I asked whether she had the tailgate from the same car - after checking she found that they did have it, but it was from a car with a blue roof (no good to me), however they do offer a painting service. She immediately understood what I wanted and told me to continue with buying the bumper and she would send a quote for painting the tailgate.

The bumper was more expensive than most at £150, but I was willing to pay for one in good condition and after searching for so long - I didn't really care what it cost!

A few days later the bumper arrived - my long suffering neighbours signed for it for me. I did what most of us on here would do - took it straight into the lounge and began unwrapping naturally the cat was involved.

Their description of 'grade A condition' certainly did not disappoint! It is in superb condition. The reason for this became apparent when I turned it over - a sticker dated September 2016 'MINI R53 rear bumper - primer' it's only a year old!!!

One of the side trim pieces was scuffed as I had seen in the pictures, so I very simply swapped it with the undamaged piece from my car.

I then moved it to the garage and set about giving it a 'detailing world special'! I wiped the inside of the bumper clean with APC - there was only a light film of dirt. Lots of primer showing in there!

Next, I decided to get the DA out, as it had some very light marks as if it had been wiped with a dirty cloth - I used Ultimate Compound and a medium polishing pad, this got rid of all the marks very easily. I then applied a coat of FK1000P and it was ready.

I waited until the weekend to fit it, as I wanted to take my time - rather than rushing in the evening. It also gave me time to get some more scrivets delivered, so I could rip the old ones off without even trying to save them - I have NO patience with them as many long term followers of this thread will know!!

The bumper is removed by pulling off two rubber pieces which are visible with the boot open - this reveals two screws which must be removed, then one 8mm bolt which is located above and to the right of the right hand exhaust pipe. Then there is one screw each side behind the wheel arch moulding which holds the side trim pieces on.

If I was a Haynes manual, the next step would be to undo the scrivets situated in the wheel arches - most likely involving the wheels being removed. Luckily, I have learnt that they will definitely not undo - so I grabbed the old bumper firmly and pulled like hell, and saved myself all of the trouble. All the old scrivets dropped onto the floor and were ceremoniously thrown in the bin.

With the bumper removed and thrown out the garage door - I then realised I had forgotten to remove the fog lamp unit and shee****ly took it back inside to remove it.

I cleaned up the area behind the bumper with some APC and began refitting. The new scrivets were fitted ( no need to screw them in - just push firmly and it fits together) and all other bits reassembled.

I'm so much happier not having a big hole in my bumper! I gave the car a quick wash and went out for a blast - because that's what it does best.

The price on the tailgate came back - much cheaper than I had imagined. £75 for bare tailgate and £75 for painting the top white. You can't grumble at that!

I decided to get a few extras too -

Grab handle (so I have a proper working boot button and reg plate lights) £45

Rear wiper motor (as the spindle on mine has worn smooth, so the wiper drops down onto the tailgate as the car bumps around) £35

Shipping is pricey at £50, however I can't do it much cheaper - due to the distance, I worked out that it would cost £30 in diesel if I used my Mum's Freelander (the most economical car I have access to) and may not even fit in. I dread to think what it would cost to do the journey in my Discovery at 25mpg! I could organise my own courier, but I'd prefer that any issues were the breaker's problem, not mine.

So £280 all-in for the tailgate, painting, shipping and extras seems fair to me. Especially if it's anything like as good as the bumper!

I hope to get it next week, I can polish it (if necessary) and transfer hardware over from my current tailgate, then hopefully fit the next weekend.

I need to remove the spoiler from my current tailgate - it's bonded on, so I had a go last weekend with fishing line, I made a little bit of progress - but it kept snapping as soon as I made any headway. So I have bought some proper metal windscreen removal wire, which should make light work of it with a bit of heat from a hairdryer.
Now that looks great! You must be nearly there now with the tailgate?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hereisphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #263
porcupine1
Unwashed Member

Been following this with interest, R50 & 53 Cooper and S had an additional contrast roof of White or Black and a delete option, and the only difference between a Cooper derivative and lesser models were the holes in the upper tailgate for the spoiler bolts, don't think these were bonded.
porcupine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #264
kdot
Sponge Jockey

Its all coming together - so exciting

Great progress
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #265
percymon
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Hi all,

''more scrivets delivered, I have NO patience with them

so I grabbed the old bumper firmly and pulled like hell

bumper removed and thrown out the garage door

forgotten to remove the fog lamp unit and shee****ly took it back inside to remove it.

Fantastic that you've managed to find the tailgate and bumper - great turnaround in not a huge time period.

Any plans for the wheels ?
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #266
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post

Fantastic that you've managed to find the tailgate and bumper - great turnaround in not a huge time period.

Any plans for the wheels ?
Thanks.

The wheels are next on the list! I knew that I could get them done any time, so I decided to keep the money available for the tailgate and bumper so that I could snap them up immediately when the right ones came up for sale.

Once the wheels are refurbed, then all the major exterior jobs will be done.

I’ve started to think of a few bits I’d like to change - the gear knob has some of the ‘chrome’ peeling which is very rough to the touch, so I thought maybe I could look at a JCW gear knob and handbrake grip. That sort of thing.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #267
lincolndanny
Washmitt Meister

Really enjoying keeping up with this :-)

Great effort
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #268
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Part 18 - Bootlid and Loose Trim

Hi all,

I did have a couple of little surprises last weekend. Whilst driving on a dual carriageway, I saw in the passenger side mirror that something was flapping around. I quickly pulled over and found that the rear wheel arch trim was almost entirely detatched! I had disturbed it when fitting the bumper. I punched it a few times at the side of the road which seemed to click it back into place. However, on the return journey it came free again. It would no longer clip back in, so I just pulled it off and stuck it in the boot. It was not a good look!

It is held on by 5 circular rings which are supposed to clip onto the little stubs you can see on the bodywork, then two more conventional press clips (one at each end). None of mine seemed to be making much contact, so I ordered the appropriate clips from eBay. This did mean driving around for the week with a missing bit of bodywork!

The following morning, I came out to find my front John Cooper Works badge sitting on the floor in front of the car! It wasn't unexpected though - as it was an adhesive badge, not designed to be stuck to a grille.

I had an email this week to say that the tailgate had been painted and was ready to be sent. On Friday, a very large package emerged from the courier's van. Naturally I took it straight into the lounge and started unpacking! The company I bought it from had done a really thorough job of putting foam tubing around all the edges and wrapping it in several layers of cardboard.

With quite a lot of help from the cat, it was finally unwrapped. It's in excellent condition, and they've done a nice job of painting the top.

Unfortunately, one area their packaging had let them down was the grab handle - the cardboard had rubbed on it in transit, and left some nasty scuffs all the way along.

The first port of call was the old tailgate - I needed to strip and remove it from the car. I began with removing the spoiler - I had spent a fair amount of time with the hair drier and some fishing line trying to cut through the stuff holding it on, but not got very far.

I ordered some windscreen removal wire from ebay to remove it once and for all! It's nasty stuff - you have to be careful with your hands as it really digs in. I let the hair drier warm it up for about 5 minutes before I started.

The wire does a really good job - it goes straight through the glue. The main problem was that I hadn't ordered any of the handles which you are supposed to use with it, so that you can get a sawing motion going. I had to rely on cutting off the circulation to my fingers and gradually working my way through it.

Eventually the spoiler was able to be lifted off (in one piece thankfully!)

I noticed that the loom on the new tailgate had been cut clean off at the point where it would come out the tailgate and go into the car - Initially I thought that it was just an act of butchery by the breakers, but on closer inspection - the loom doesn't have any connectors at all, it's one unbroken bunch of wires coming directly from the car.
I started by removing the trim inside the tailgate - this is removed with a few philips screws. Then, there are three pieces of trim around the glass which just pop off. Long term followers of the thread will know that i'd wired up a make-shift boot release as mine had failed, the connector was also so badly corroded that I had bypassed it. I just cut out all of my wiring - I had a plan to use part of the loom from the new tailgate - more on that later.

I then unplugged the wiper motor and screenwash tube. One difference I noticed was a small black box with several wires going to it, I believe two of them are Fakra connectors (could be wrong) which I associate with car aerials. It then went to the rear windscreen and connected to the heated elements - I assumed (as the new one wasn't fitted with one at all) that it must be linked to the SmartNav and act as an aerial for the GPS. Anyhow, I stripped it from the old tailgate and set it aside.

After unplugging the connectors for the heated rear screen - it was just a case of removing the loom. It was quite fiddly to remove, as it runs down each side of the tailgate and up into the top which you can't access.

Finally, I unscrewed the 3rd brake light and unplugged it.

The boot struts are then easily removed by pulling off a metal clamp with a flat headed screw driver. I wasn't paying a lot of attention at this point, as when I removed the first strut - the boot lid dropped and bashed me on the head!

With the boot lid firmly embedded in my skull, I removed the two large torx bolts holding it to the hinges and I was able to lift it away.

Admittedly, I wasn't being very careful with the old boot lid, but I managed to bash it on every conceivable surface in the garage while taking it outside. This made me quite concerned for the wellfare of the new one. I was very conscious that I didn't want the new one sitting in the garage until I could fit it, so I enlisted my mum's help to guide me out to the garage with the new boot lid and to bolt it in place on Friday evening.

I was also dreading threading the loom through into the new tailgate, as it was fiddly enough to pull it out - let alone push it blindly through the sealed top of the tailgate. I used a length of the windscreen wire to my advantage - by threading it backwards through the inside of the tailgate, tying it to the end of the loom and then pulling it through - with a little bit of fiddling around, I managed to get it in place. As some eagle eyed followers will have spotted - the new tailgate has the rear wiper blanked off. I bought a new wiper motor with it, however upon removing my old one - I noticed that the wiper arm is cracked where it fits to the wiper motor spindle. So have decided to order a new one, and will fit it when that arrives.

So, I blocked off the screenwash tube with an appropriately sized bolt to stop any drips.

As previously mentioned, the connector for the boot release and reg plate lights was corroded to hell, and had been hacked about. As I had a spare loom around, I cut the good connector and a length of the wires from it. I then stripped the wires on the new and old looms, soldered and applied heat shrink tubing, then wrapped in electrical tape (just to be sure!). I had some loom tape around (the adhesive fabric tape you see on car wiring) which I covered it with. Quite professional I thought!

With all the wiring clipped into place and tidied away, that left us with this

Next was the big moment - since I've had the car, it has had no working registration plate lights, and only an improvised tailgate release! I'm pleased to report that the tailgate release works perfectly. I then switched on the headlights to find that I also have working reg plate lights, although I seemed to have 1 LED and one regular bulb!!

Now for a little break from the new tailgate, and a quick look at the old one. I was curious to see what was really lurking under the bubbling paint. I took a screwdriver to it and chipped the paint away - it all practically fell off! What was left underneath was NASTY! The rust has really taken hold and eaten holes in the metal. What metal is left is very thin.

The old grab handle was also in a terrible state. The reg plate lights have all been messed with in the past and were horribly corroded. The seal on the back had clearly failed and let water in. The bulbs were both wet!

As the clips for my wheel arch trim had arrived, I decided to reattach it. Here it is with all the new clips attached.

I pushed it into place. It fitted on, but didn't seem to hold very convincingly. So not to risk it flying off in the near future, I applied some two part epoxy to all of the clips and refitted it. That'll hold it!

I had ordered a new JCW badge for the front grille, one which bolts through it. I'm not prepared to find or pay for one of the original style works badges, so settled for a new style metal badge. Unfortunately, when it arrived - the packaging didn't instil much confidence!!!

Surprisingly, the badge is of good quality. I half removed the front bumper and bolted it on.

As the new tailgate didn't have a JCW badge fitted, I ordered an adhesive metal new style one for that too. Here is a comparison of the new/old style.

Back to the new tailgate - I knew I had to fit my spoiler to it, although I wasn't looking forward to it! I had a new tube of Sikaflex on the shelf from some previous project which didn't get used. It's good stuff - used to bond on body parts, its slightly flexible which makes it especially useful on cars. I applied a good few 'circles' of it on each side of the spoiler and tightened the bolts down. That won't come off in a hurry!

There was quite a lot of dirt inside the Cooper S badge. I don't have any detailing brushes, so I improvised with some APC and a little paint brush.

As mentioned above - the grab handle had some nasty scuffs on it which occured in transit, so I got the DA out with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and did the whole tailgate. It removed the scuffs brilliantly.

I found some spare white LEDs to fit the reg plate lights too. The lenses were a little grubby, so I gave them a good scrub with some APC.

Then, it was just a case of putting my registration plate back on, and sticking the new JCW badge on. I really agonised about the placement of the badge, I was able to measure the placement of the old one to get it just right.

This morning, after the adhesives had cured, I gave the car a clean (just the usual routine - CarPro 1900:1 and a Lambswool Mitt) and went out for some pictures. The sun was really low in the sky - so it wasn't great for photos.

One observation I have made is that the radio reception is now rubbish. Presumably that box which I didn't fit to the new tailgate was used for boosting the reception by using the heated rear window element as an antenna. I should just be able to plug it all in, as I have saved all the bits. It did have 3 wires which were either stuck or soldered to the heated element, so I need to work out how to reattach them.

That aside, i'm thrilled with the outcome. The tailgate really does look great and it's nice to have a proper boot release button too. I like the look of it without a rear wiper, but it really does need it. The exhausts steam the window up in the mornings and when it's wet, there's a lot of spray from the tyres. So i'll fit the wiper motor and new arm when I get round to it.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this update - another step forwards
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
Barchettaman (25-10-2017), Cookies (23-10-2017), dan4291 (22-10-2017), JoeyTaffy93 (22-10-2017), johny555ive (23-10-2017), JR1982 (22-10-2017), Jue (22-10-2017), kdot (26-10-2017), Malakkastraat (25-10-2017), monkfishh (22-10-2017), neilb62 (23-10-2017), Nozza (23-10-2017), Peter D (23-10-2017), rojer386 (25-10-2017), SBM (23-10-2017), Simonrev (22-10-2017), steelghost (22-10-2017), t_zetec (23-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #269
JoeyTaffy93
Sponge Jockey

This car is looking amazing! Well done on all the hard work, it really has paid off!
JoeyTaffy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #270
neilb62
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Send a message via MSN to neilb62
Thread-of-the-year....... Brilliant, please tell us you're going to keep it?
neilb62 is offline   Reply With Quote