Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 07-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Oddie
Sponge Jockey

Why do my waxes never last?

Afternoon all,

Long time lurker on here, I seldom post so go easy on me! Something that has always irritated me is that no matter what wax I use, they never ever last anywhere near as long as quoted. I must be doing something wrong, surely!?

For example, a month ago I spent 2 days detailing my new BMW 330d (Alpine white). I de contaminated, compounded via FG400, polished with SF4000 and then waxed with Fusso Light. Since then, I've only washed the car about 4 times. When I washed the car at weekend, the wax, particularly on the bonnet, is now pretty much non existent. It's still present and beading nicely everywhere else but the bonnet just had sheets of water so at on it as if it had no wax at all.

This seems to happen all the time, no matter which wax I use I only seem to be able to get a maximum of a couple of months out of it before I have to re apply.

I use Valet Pro PH Neutral snow foam every time and wash with Simoniz shampoo. I did wonder whether I had been using too much shampoo (2 cap fulls) and whether that was stripping my wax off over time. I've reduced to just 1 cap full per bucket but it doesn't seem to have made a difference to the life span of the wax.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Oddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
deez
Sponge Jockey

Are you using a panel wipe post polishing and pre sealant/wax application?

So the standard variables that will affect durability:
- Prep & Application
- Maintenance
- Weather
- The frequency and conditions in which it's driven

When it comes to manufacturer claims about durability, being sceptical as opposed to optimistic is probably a better mind-set to go in with.
Wax durability is generally quoted with ideals, but that's not always how real would experience goes.

The best place to ascertain durability would be from reviews and real world testing from credible persons with long term experience with any given wax.

Despite all of the above, your Fusso should have lasted longer than a month, which is why I asked about Panel Wipe.
It's important to also distinguish between a standard natural Wax, a Sealant and Hybrid waxes as each offer a differing level of durability and may require a differing level of prep (e.g. not essential but still recommended to Panel Wipe before waxing, but with a sealant it's essential). A standard wax may not necessarily last more than a few months depending on which one it is.
deez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,933 Posts
Not quite sure what to make of this one...

Off the top of my head for your steps on preparing and maintaining the car I see a few issues. The lack of panel wipe after machining the car which Fusso, being a synthetic sealant could be an issue. The other problem is the shampoo you are using which I assume is Simoniz wash & wax.

Any shampoo that contains wax additives or claim to boost gloss will normally have a negative effect on the hydrophobicity of your chosen LSP so best to use a pure shampoo that leaves nothing behind. Continuously washing the car with this type of shampoo will clog up the LSP and ruin the water behavior.

These are the only 2 issues I can think of currently but the full car would reflect this negative water behavior and not just the bonnet so not sure why the bonnet is only showing issues (unless I have picked you up wrong).
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
bluechimp (21-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
Kenan
PC Perfectionist

I'm having similar issues with durability on my 306 of wax/sealent. Normally goes on the roof first, so your not alone.

For me I think its because I live near the sea but trying different methods to try to prolong the life.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk
Kenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
DimitriUK
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddie View Post
Afternoon all,

This seems to happen all the time, no matter which wax I use I only seem to be able to get a maximum of a couple of months out of it before I have to re apply.

Cheers
This is the case also with my car that is normal for a car that is not garaged do not believe all the hype.
DimitriUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,188 Times in 846 Posts
Garage
My normal rule of thumb is that if the wax i use last 2/3 of the 'quoted' time then I'm happy.

I live by this rule because my car is used every day, racks up a heck of a lot of miles and the majority of them are on Norfolk and Suffolks cruddiest back roads. So my lsp takes a fair amount of abuse, but I try and help it along the way by using a pure shampoo at the correct ratios etc....

I would suggest a lack of panel wipe could be one of your issues.
Also curing times, have you allowed sufficient curing time for your waxes?!

I believe John @ Forensic Detailing did a good piece on waxes and curing times. Basically if you don't let it cure long enough then you won't get the full benefits of its protective nature
So, for example, did you apply your fusso panel by panel and then get mixed up and remove the bonnet coating too soon?

I've done things like that before and its a real pain
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dchapman88 For This Useful Post:
roscopervis (08-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
todds

I also find because of the heat of the engine on my bmw the wax i use tends to degrade faster on the bonnet therefore i now always put a second layer of wax on it a day or so after the first layer and about 4 weeks later as well depending on the projected longevity of the wax as stated by the makers which can be overly optimistic. one of the only wax companies that imo give the truest reading of their waxes is "obsession wax" and i have tested 19 of their waxes on my car.
hope this is of some help
todds
PS I also believe in the symmetry of products therefore i always try and use the wax manufacturers associated products with their wax eg shampoo,polish prewax cleaner etc . i realise this may be a little over the top but that me. my car is a daily driver and lives outside 24/7 and is 20 years old.

Last edited by todds; 07-03-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add a ps
todds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Oddie
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for all your replies, all very good and valid points. Forgot to mention panel wipe, I used CarPro Reload in between both sets of compounding / Polish and pre wax.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
OvEr_KiLL

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,270 Posts
car pro reload is a sealant from reading on car pro's site and it says
'' Paint should be completely clean and free of oil, solvents, or wax before applying Reload (For Durability) ''
could be why the wax didnt bond properly. use a panel wipe next time and get some pure ph neutral shampoo with no gloss boosters/waxes, adams, odk jet, autoallure luxallure, autoglym ultra high definition shampoo etc

Last edited by OvEr_KiLL; 07-03-2018 at 08:46 PM.
OvEr_KiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Oddie
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvEr_KiLL View Post
car pro reload is a sealant from reading on car pro's site and it says
'' Paint should be completely clean and free of oil, solvents, or wax before applying Reload (For Durability) ''
could be why the wax didnt bond properly. use a panel wipe next time and get some pure ph neutral shampoo with no gloss boosters/waxes, adams, odk jet, autoallure luxallure, autoglym ultra high definition shampoo etc
Sorry long day, I meant CarPro Eraser!!! Jesus wept I need some sleep!