Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 26-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #51
FiestaGirlie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Looking good, were you expecting more from the remap, I realise it's not out and out power but 7bhp isn't much.

As for your foot, the wife slipped on lanzarote pitch and putt golf course 2 years ago, 3 fractures 2 plates and an operation and she still limps.
Thanks. I was hoping for about 185 - 190, which he did at one point get, but it really compromised the torque. So the lower bhp meant for the better torque which is fine, especially if that makes the car more driveable.
Bearing in mind though that the 'before' figure of 173 included the intercooler and exhaust so I'm not really using that as a base figure. The map just makes all the add on bits work better together.

I'm getting anxious in the want to drive it, but I can't see it happening for a couple of weeks yet unfortunately.
FiestaGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FiestaGirlie For This Useful Post:
SteveTDCi (30-08-2015)
Old 26-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #52
chefy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I'm getting anxious in the want to drive it, but I can't see it happening for a couple of weeks yet unfortunately. [/QUOTE]

WoW Fiestagirl that is one little beastie you got there 180 horses and 237lbft of torque is just something for that wee car,it'll be like a wee supercart I hope your ankle gets better soon so you can drive it.

I can relate to, what I'm gona call "WTF" injuries - around mid June I was in my back garden trimming my hedges, I was up on a small platform about 1m of the ground - at most, to do the tops, I lost my footing, and fell, ONTO the grass, I "SMASHED" my heel, into 4 - yes FOUR, I had to have an op (two weeks later) where plates & screws were put in, to piece my heel back together pain was like nothing that can be described !!
However, I got my cast of last Tuesday, and xrayed, but all hasnt healed, so I now have a moonboot and am still on crutches for another 4 weeks
Needless to say, this has caused Soooo much upheavel, cancell our holiday to NY which was at the end of June, + so much more inc my trip to the Silverstone Classic and quite a few other shows.
But, like you I am dying to drive my cars, I have an XJS, which I can drive as its an auto, (as it's my left foot thats foooked) but I also have an E30 318is, which was in for a full windows out respray + new Eibach Pro springs + Bilstein shocks, top mounts & bump stops all round and new anti roll bar bushes, the car went in at the end of March, I was told it'll take 3 - 4 weeks,
but I didnt get it back until Tuesday last week 20 weeks to the day after I put it in
But the moral here is, like you, I have so so, been looking forward to driving iit, and as it is, I still cant drive a manual - it'll be 6 months since I've driven it (in 4 weeks) so,we wait vain or should that be in "pain"

I still cant believe I fell from such a height and did so much damage !!

Last edited by chefy; 26-08-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
chefy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chefy For This Useful Post:
FiestaGirlie (26-08-2015)
Old 16-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #53
FiestaGirlie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
So I need to update this! After not being able to drive for a couple of weeks, I finally managed to get out in it. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite the beast I was hoping for, in fact it drove better before the map! Then, all of a sudden I lost boost. It was only going up to 0.4 bar. Next time I went out the boost was back, but soon stopped boosting again and the engine warning light came on. Uh oh! On the case to Chris at ProAlfa and he said it could be a dodgy actuator, so he quickly booked me back in and I went back round last Thursday. The guys spent the day swapping out the actuator, and he also ran a smoke test and low and behold found a boost leak from one of the intercooler pipes. Off with the bumper and the guys went round and tightened everything up. You don't realise how the pipework needs time to settle, and I guess that the long drive round to ProAlfa just moved things about enough to cause the leak.

They got it all sorted though and as soon as I got on my way home I could tell it was a different animal! Car pulls great and the smile was back on my face. ;D

Just like to say a massive thanks to Chris and the guys at ProAlfa for sorting this out, and making the car even more fun.

And a tiny little update. Whilst we had the heatshield off for fitting the intercooler and actuator, I gave it a little polish up, and added a few shiny stainless bolts to brighten up the bay. it didn't come up as well as I'd of liked, but maybe will get the machine on it at some point down the line.

Thanks for reading.
Old 16-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #54
gibbo555

Great little car and thread, that's a very tidy engine bay
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gibbo555 For This Useful Post:
FiestaGirlie (26-10-2015)
Old 16-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #55
Jonny_R

great updates and glad your happy with the map etc now its sorted
Jonny_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny_R For This Useful Post:
FiestaGirlie (26-10-2015)
Old 26-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #56
FiestaGirlie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
No changes or updates to addÖ for the momentÖ, but Iíve been wanting to do a proper detail on my car for quite some time now. After running with WetCoat on the car last winter due to its ease of application, my plan was to give CanCoat a try when the weather improved in March/April time. However, I never got round to getting that done, and the combination of WetCoat, Bathe+ and Cure were still lasting well on the car so saw me through the summer no problems. But I definitely wanted to give the car a good going over before winter hits in this year. With time passing by thoughts change and reading up on other products, I also ended up changing my mind over what protection I wanted to use. Aided by the CanCoat not working properly, I ended up ordering some FK1000 Sealant and FK2685 Pink Wax at Waxstock, and have been waiting for a chance to use ever since.

So, full detail was done over a couple of days, but process was:

Citrus TFR
Snow foam
Rinse
Iron X
Rinse
Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Rinse
Dry
DA Polish with very light cut (the car didnít need much as its only 10 months old)
Panel Wipe
2 Coats of FK1000
Black trim coated with Dodo Juice Tyromania
2 Coats of FK2685

I know 2 coats of the Sealant would be plenty to get me through winter, and even using just this the paint looked lovely, but I wanted to add some wax on top to give it that bit of extra gloss. And I was certainly right to do so. Instantly after buffing off the wax the car looked amazing and the wax just made the paintwork feel even more slick to go with how shiny it looks. Definitely glad I did those two coats, as it just finished the job off. Iíve got the FK detailer too, but will try that out on my next wash. I coated the wheels with GyeonRim the day I picked it up which still seems to be working well, but I may give them a coat of the FK1000 if I can in the next few weeks.

Campovolo Grey is not an easy colour to show off the paintwork, but hereís some pics of the finished car.

And some tasty reflections to finish:

Old 26-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #57
FiestaGirlie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_R View Post
great updates and glad your happy with the map etc now its sorted
Technically, it's not completely sorted as have had some issues since posting my last update, but when it's working, it's working well!

I should be taking a trip back to ProAlfa in the coming weeks for a bit more of an update.... Just in time before the little animals first outing at Brands Hatch on Dec 5th.
Old 26-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #58
Brian1612

Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,988 Posts
Looks superb Clare!
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
FiestaGirlie (30-11-2015)
Old 30-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #59
FiestaGirlie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
After my remap in August, I had a couple of issues with boost. Initially I had a boost leak and dodgy actuator, but the guys at ProAlfa sorted that for me a while ago. However since the remap, every now and then when under heavy load, the car has lost all boost and gone into limp mode when Iíve put my foot down. The map needed looking at.
Now, the car definitely felt better than standard, but it was still missing some of that oomph I had in my old car. Around town itís very nice and sprightly, but I felt it was just lacking something on the motorway. So I thought if the car needs to go back to have the map worked on, then I might as well try for some power whilst itís there.
Having only just fitted my full turbo back Milltek, I didnít want to have to go about changing the Cat, etc by going for a Garrett turbo, so as the IHI Hybrid is a direct bolt on replacement it seemed the most sensible option.

After a bit of a wait for the turbo to be finished by Turbo Dynamics, the car eventually went round to ProAlfa last Thursday. She spent a couple of days with the guys whilst they swapped out the turbo, spent a day on the rollers, and then got some fresh oil, before I got to drive her home.

So far, so good!!! My goal when I took the car in was to get the boost issue sorted, and hopefully come out with about 200bhp and get that torque up for some useable motorway power. Final figures came out at 201.5bhp and 266.7lbft torque.

And what a difference that torque has made! You can see how much smoother the graph is compared to my previous one, and that maximum torque is right at the motorway sweet spot of 3500 revs. It certainly was a much more fun drive home. My OH was following in his car and he could see it accelerated a lot better, and he had a big smile after I let him have a little go too. I purposely did some hard accelerating under load, and it seems the boost issue is sorted, but I will need to see how it goes over time. Fingers crossed though.

Iíve got a long drive up to Milton Keynes on Thursday where I can make sure itís all okay, before I then do my first trackday in her at Brands Hatch on Saturday. Am a bit nervous but excited at the same time. Iím not a very fast driver on track, and itís been 2 years since I last did a trackday, but am very much looking forward to seeing how the little beasty performs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiestaGirlie For This Useful Post:
carrera2s (30-11-2015), SteveTDCi (30-11-2015)
Old 30-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #60
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,352 Times in 2,052 Posts
Some nice changes with sensible useable power and not running the turbo to within an inch of its life. Have fun this weekend
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote