Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 23-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
IDreamofGloss
Sponge Jockey

Cost effective swirl finder for daylight

Hi,

I've just acquired a white panamera which is a beautiful machine but unfortunately in need of some fairly heavy swirl correction.

I've polished up a couple of cars before with a DA, maybe not to showroom zero swirls before but just about, but am quite hamstrung because I do not have a garage in which to undertake the correction.

I did tape off and correct a small square yesterday on the bonnet to see how it went, mainly 'cos I was desperate to get working!! it went well (have ordered some higher cut pads as took 5 passes without completely taking out swirls) but it was very sunny and no problem to see progress.

However, in daylight there is no sign of the defects or correction.

White's probably not the best colour to see defects in the first place either I guess... :/

I've seen various posts on here on 'sungun' alternatives and torches but the evaluation of them all seem to be based upon working inside. Is there any low cost alternative anyone can recommend suitable for outside use or am I restricted to working only when the sun is out which really is not doable for me?

Many thanks,

David
IDreamofGloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi David,

Take a look here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205820.

I've done this and it works perfectly well outside.

Good luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
\Rian

Garage
any suggestions for something of the shelf.

Not everyone want to make one or has the time to make one !
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

I've just picked up a Sealey Colour Match LED (065):

It's only 10w, but they do a 20w and a 50w. Mine is borderline strong enough to use outdoors. Nicely built too.
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Leebo310

Get one of these from Amazon

Q5 3W Led 350 Lumens mini Flashlight Zoomable Torch AA

Cheap as chips and show's up defects very well. White is really hard to see, you'll need to play around with the angle of the light and distance from source to spot defects but it is possible.
It'll also help massively if you remove all other light sources and just use the led flashlight. For white or silver cars, I'll turn the lights off in my garage and just use the flashlight or a head mounted similar led one (can't find the link for this one)
Think Larry from Ammo detailing did a YouTube video where he discussed the struggle to get defects to show on white and advised removing all other light sources.
Edit - just reread your post that said you don't have a garage so obviously quite hard to remove additional light sources!
Leebo310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
Marve
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo310 View Post
Edit - just reread your post that said you don't have a garage so obviously quite hard to remove additional light sources!
If only there was some way to take the sun away for 8-10 hours or so every day...

He'll have to give up sleeping!
Marve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
\Rian

Garage
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marve View Post
If only there was some way to take the sun away for 8-10 hours or so every day...

He'll have to give up sleeping!
How do you know he doesn't live in Norway where they have the sun out at night!
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
IDreamofGloss
Sponge Jockey

hehe, maybe I should move to Norway, probably cheaper option than buying a sungun!

Thanks guys but still looking, I just saw this more powerful version of the one in the earlier post albeit it was still based on internal inspection.....

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/sealey-le...osealey_LED066

just cant see how a 20w bulb outside will even register on the car paintwork and show defects?
IDreamofGloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #9
voon

Garage
Hm, why are people so much into the expensive high CRI lamps? What do people care about colour matching, if all you do is detailing? I can only imagine this to be of any importance to a painter who needs to see exact paint coours or something. or am I missing something? Why isn't a proper good strong high-kelvin (6000+k) LED all you need?
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

A 20w array of LEDs gives you a lot of lumens. If you can wait until the weekend I can organise a picture of my 10w version outdoors on some silver paint for you? I'll even throw in the swirls for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
Hm, why are people so much into the expensive high CRI lamps? What do people care about colour matching, if all you do is detailing? I can only imagine this to be of any importance to a painter who needs to see exact paint coours or something. or am I missing something? Why isn't a proper good strong high-kelvin (6000+k) LED all you need?
I understand your point completely. For me though it was £40 (much less than RRP on these) for a decent, well built, rechargeable work light - which is about the going rate. The colour matching ability added less than £5 to the cost so was a nice benefit.
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Pad (29-04-2018)