Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 15-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Blue
PC Perfectionist

C1 + C2V3 still the sealant of choice for a new car

Hi all, quick question as things seem to have changed since the first and last time I applied a paint sealant.

My friend collects a brand new Smart car shortly, and after much persuasion has agreed to not get the GardX treatment (a bargain at £360 I'm sure), and let me do it instead.

Last time I sealed a car was my mate's BMW and I used C1 and C2V3. I note that looking online now there seems to be a "prosumer" version called "Crystal Serum light" which offers 80% the performance of "Crystal Serum" (by which I presume they mean C1?) but is easier to apply.

Any thoughts on which one's best to go for? I don't recall any major problems applying C1, although as it is his first brand new car I will be bricking it if I do manage to screw it up. At the same time I don't want to pay more, for an inferior product, to solve a problem that I didn't have last time.

I imagine even Crystal Serum light is better than any of the dealer treatments so probably just as good either way?

Also, are there any alternatives outside of the Gtechniq range that are worth a look these days?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Blue
PC Perfectionist

Oh yes, meant to ask, how about CQuartz UK Edition? That seems to be a worthy contender?
Old 15-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
organgrinder
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

CSL and C1 are totally different products with CSL being much harder and more chemical resistant. It's no more difficult to apply but you should make sure you decontaminate the paint first and finish with GT Panel Wipe before you apply CSL.
organgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to organgrinder For This Useful Post:
Blue (15-08-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
MagpieRH

Garage
I've got the CSL & EXOv3 combo on my car, not difficult to apply at all (less fussy than c1 as well) and definitely does the job.

If you've got experience with gtech, that's the combo to go for (also, I have a mid sized car and used barely anything to coat the whole thing)
MagpieRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MagpieRH For This Useful Post:
Blue (15-08-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Blue
PC Perfectionist

Ohhhhh, so it seems I was always misunderstanding things!

I applied C1 to my mate's car and didn't actually realise there was a Crystal Serum that was a different product.

So in order of "rock hard protection" it goes-

1) CS
2) CSL
3) C1

In that case, we shall go with the CSL

Regarding the panel wipe, is it essential to use the GT version or will my usual go to combo of IPA and soft water do the trick?

Plan is to wash and de-iron the car with Dragon's Breath and very hopefully, avoid the need to machine polish, then seal it.
Old 15-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Blue
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRH View Post
I've got the CSL & EXOv3 combo on my car, not difficult to apply at all (less fussy than c1 as well) and definitely does the job.

If you've got experience with gtech, that's the combo to go for (also, I have a mid sized car and used barely anything to coat the whole thing)
Did you buy a 30ml bottle?

I'm thinking that if my mate gets a 30ml bottle, there should be more than enough to do my S60 with the leftovers...
Old 15-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
MagpieRH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Did you buy a 30ml bottle?

I'm thinking that if my mate gets a 30ml bottle, there should be more than enough to do my S60 with the leftovers...
Yup, 30ml. Honestly, I barely used anything - I've coated my bike as well, and still got well over half left. I'd be amazed if you couldn't get both cars out of it (but obviously don't tell your mate if he's buying it )
MagpieRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MagpieRH For This Useful Post:
Blue (15-08-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
Blue
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRH View Post
Yup, 30ml. Honestly, I barely used anything - I've coated my bike as well, and still got well over half left. I'd be amazed if you couldn't get both cars out of it (but obviously don't tell your mate if he's buying it )
Why didn't I think of that before I offered to chip in for some of it!?
Old 15-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
bense556
Washmitt Meister

From what I understand of IPA and Panel Wipe, IPA is a bit more 'grabby', and therefore has a higher probability of leaving marks behind. The GT panel wipe is, I believe, designed by them for a final wipe down before applying their coatings. May be worth thinking about if you are trying to get away with not machine polishing.

I would still be prepared to have to machine polish, even though brand new, the state of some I have seen are very poor, but Joe Blogs doesn't care about this!
bense556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
Blue
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense556 View Post
From what I understand of IPA and Panel Wipe, IPA is a bit more 'grabby', and therefore has a higher probability of leaving marks behind. The GT panel wipe is, I believe, designed by them for a final wipe down before applying their coatings. May be worth thinking about if you are trying to get away with not machine polishing.

I would still be prepared to have to machine polish, even though brand new, the state of some I have seen are very poor, but Joe Blogs doesn't care about this!
Cool, I'll try a bottle and see what, if any, difference it seems to make.

I've seen the actual car in the showroom and it seems ok, so provided they don't screw it up prior to handover (big if!) then I'm really hopeful I can get away with it. Even with some very minor marring it will be infinitely better than his old car which had heavy swirls and marring everywhere, as well as multi-shaded body panels.