Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Reece.
Washmitt Meister

Garage
My 2005 EP3 Type-R *RBC now fitted*

Hi everybody! I'm quite new to the site, don't post a lot nor do I do a lot of detailing if any. Just look on here daily at some of the amazing work people produce!

Ill get started with my daily project as such. I've had this now a year on the 14th November and only recently been modifying it to what I want from it and want it to look like.

I used to own a MK5 fiesta zetec-S, had quite a lot of work done to it but body work was shabby but was like driving a go-kart!

Few pictures of it the last few months of ownership:

At the time my girlfriend found out she was pregnant and was very impractical having a baby on the way seeing as the car only had 2 seats!

Que the search for a new car wanted something that was still a hatch and sporty but still had more space and more practical. Spent a good 3/4 months searching for one and it had to be a facelift model in either cosmic grey or nighthawk black and was looking to spend upto £5000.

I came across a NHB facelift on a 05 plate which had everything I wanted but had pre facelift seats and door cards to match the rest of the interior. Was advertised for £4300 with 50k so I set out to view it up in Derbyshire just under 500 mile round trip. Happy to say I left with the car for a bargain £3600!!

I got it cheap because the bonnet has a small dent in it and has flat paint either sides and quite a few stone chips, didn't have any tax and had no petrol. On the upside it did come with:

4 brand new toyo proxie T1-R's
Brand new drilled and grooved discs with mintex pads
Rear windows tinted
Some service history
And white powder coated wheels

I also went for this one as well as it was completly standard engine wise!

Picture that was in the advert:

This was filling it up after buying it

The drive home was great, gave me time to listen to any noises etc... But the whole 225 miles back there was no noises, pulled hard, no lights, safe to say I was over the moon as I had quite a bit of money left over to sort some upgrades out for it!

Next day I gave it a quick going over and a hand polish with SRP only got 1 picture of it but it came out nice

Following week I then met up with a friend and gave both cars a proper clean, this time round I clayed the car and used PB black hole and used a PB wax I have on the wheels, was over the moon with the results as the pictures will show!

Last edited by Reece.; 10-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Reece. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Reece.
Washmitt Meister

Garage
My 2005 EP3 Type-R *RBC now fitted*

Before I even had my Type-R I bought this AEM CAI of a friend, reason he got rid of it is because of a small bracket had broken off. As you can see I ground the rest of the metal flat and as a repair cut both ends of a coke can off and sleeved it over. This was then held on with electrical tape and to this day a year later is still going strong! The noise of the V-tec crossover is insane!

At time of fitting this I had also got the hydro shield of my friend as well and the whole thing for £40

At this time I was going for visual and performance mods but wasn't in any particular order so I bought things as of when I thought of things. Next up was Honda jazz washer jets for a mist spray. Much better coverage on the screen and at that same time I fitted aero wipers.

With my work discount I got them delivered direct from Honda for £22!

Following day I bought a service kit which involved oil and filter, spark plugs, Honda gearbox oil and general check over.

Gearbox oil made a noticeable difference and for what it cost I was very pleased with it!

Last edited by Reece.; 10-11-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Reece.
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I was happy with the inside of the car apart from the shabby gear knob, looked as though someone used to wear a ring and had quite badly scratched it. I set about cleaning this up and with a bolt in the threaded end and in my impact gun I ran it through a few wet and dry papers and finished with autosol.

Before:

After:

Looks much neater now and saves buying a new one

Thought about what I was to do next and ended up being relieved of £150 odd from Tegiwa and ended up with a short shifter, solid shifter bushings and engine mount inserts.

After fitting them all the difference in the gear throw is dramatically reduced and I now have no wheels hop due to the engine mount inserts. They do vibrate the car a fair bit and make the whole note of the exhaust a bit boomier (sp?).

No pictures of this as I was against time and had my dash apart for the shifter and then subframe and cat off for the engine mount inserts.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Reece.
Washmitt Meister

Garage
By this time I was fed up of the poor speakers and headunit so I bought a brand new alpine headunit with iPod/iPhone lead which charges the phone and have full control on the HU.

I then found a set of MTX speakers for a good price new and ran them without an amp, these lasted all of 2 months before I missed my old system in my fiesta and started the search for something better.

I won a set of focal components on eBay for £65 delivered all boxed and nearly new. I didn't want to fit them until I had an amp so again went on eBay and got myself a new 12" JBL sub and vibe amp for £30 delivered!

Had another vibe amp for the speakers and set about fitting them!

I mounted the amps under either seat and had the wiring under the carpet, safe to say it was a massive difference and couldn't recommend focal speakers enough! So crisp and clear and do exactly what I want them to do

Ill update this later with more of what I've done but should be getting on with some work now :P

Comments and criticism welcome guys!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Mumbles
Orbital Oracle

That's some knob you have there... eh.. I mean... it's very nice... no, that's not right either. haha. amazing difference! Great work and congrats on the little one.
Mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mumbles For This Useful Post:
Reece. (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
horned yo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

OH I miss my EP3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0593.jpg (96.1 KB, 370 views)
horned yo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to horned yo For This Useful Post:
Reece. (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
DOBE
PC Perfectionist

Looks a good buy mate!

Do like an EP3.
DOBE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DOBE For This Useful Post:
Reece. (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Reece.
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
That's some knob you have there... eh.. I mean... it's very nice... no, that's not right either. haha. amazing difference! Great work and congrats on the little one.
Haha never been told ive had a great knob and thanks mate, he's now a cheeky 1 year old!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horned yo View Post
OH I miss my EP3
Great cars, love everything about them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBE View Post
Looks a good buy mate!

Do like an EP3.
I did have a nice result, not going to lie the guy I bought it off seemed a bit if a drip, was more worried about his van being broke than selling his EP3!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Th3Doctor
PC Perfectionist

Ah a fello type r owner makes a nice change from the endless vag offering on DW top work on the gear knob - could you explain the process and what an impact gun is? Cheers
Just about to sort the ice out on my one too Sony double din as the standard head unit sound quality is ok but could be better looking forward to the updates
Th3Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3Doctor For This Useful Post:
Reece. (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Reece.
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The gear knob was actually very easy, I got a bolt that threaded into the gear knob itself and done it up tight, there was now a bolt sticking out with a 17mm head on it. My impact gun is a snap-on electric one, used for taking wheels off etc... But I put a 17mm socket on it. Then I put the gear knob with the bolt in it onto the gun and began to spin it in one hand whilst I held the sandpaper round the gear knob with the other hand if you understand what I mean? Basically spinning the gear knob at high RPM through some sand paper to smooth it down.

I done exactly the same process through 800, 1200 then 2000 wet and dry, finally done the same in the gun with autosol on a micro fibre and that was it if you can picture what I mean it will be really easy, you could even use a drill!

Yeah I tend to look for other jap project threads on here, thanks for the comments so far guys! Much appreciated!

Reece.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reece. For This Useful Post:
TTCD (08-11-2012)