Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
TrixterDK
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 44
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not getting cut

So I've. Read and read and still learning.
I have done two black Audi a6 black both and iam not 100% happy with the results. Is seams that I always have to go for the hardest pad and most cut compound.
I have scholl s03 and s17 and s40. Also m105.
I have all the scholl spider pads and cc hex pads and lc ccs pads.
Flex 3401 machine.

Both audis I got the best from white spider and s3.
I see a lot of guys using something with less cut. But I don't seam to get this to work. Tried with orange, green and yellow hex pads.
I do around 8 passes and still some scratches. I go very slowly and tried with and. Pressure.

I would just like to go a little less aggressive but don't seam to be able.
Just did one to day 8 hours and not 100% happy.

Sould i try something else compound or pads?

I know it's hard to answer but please try
TrixterDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:57 AM   #2
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,336
Thanks: 1,433
Thanked 1,228 Times in 970 Posts
I apologies before if this is a half asleep post.

Ok to summarise - Audi have hard paint which means you are always going to need a harder set to correct then for example a Japanese.
For German paint I always use a microfibre cutting and finishing pad.
(regulars do a really nice microfiber set of Polish/compound & also pads)

Hopefully someone like Stangalang or Chongo will be along in the morning who will be able to expand.
Alfieharley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
TrixterDK
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 44
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieharley1 View Post
I apologies before if this is a half asleep post.

Ok to summarise - Audi have hard paint which means you are always going to need a harder set to correct then for example a Japanese.
For German paint I always use a microfibre cutting and finishing pad.
(regulars do a really nice microfiber set of Polish/compound & also pads)

Hopefully someone like Stangalang or Chongo will be along in the morning who will be able to expand.
What pads do you use??
TrixterDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 AM   #4
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,336
Thanks: 1,433
Thanked 1,228 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixterDK View Post
What pads do you use??
http://www.in2detailing.co.uk/produc...tting-pad.html

&

http://www.in2detailing.co.uk/produc...shing-pad.html
Alfieharley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
stangalang
king of the flexonian
 
stangalang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: saddleworth, greater manchester
Posts: 11,817
Thanks: 7,029
Thanked 9,541 Times in 4,704 Posts
Garage
Ok, some things of note from what I read.

You are comparing yourself to what you think others achieve. As in, "they" get these results so why cant i. Well "they" may not be telling the whole truth in their posts, setting you an unrealistic goal. "They" may simply be better at it than you and you just need more practice. There is absolutely no reason you should be able to do anything swell, straight away, just because you want to. Plus they may have better time constraints to you

You say "I do around 8 passes and still some scratches". Swirls are easy to get out, scratches not so. You may have to hit heavily scratched panels multiple times to get the desired results, which takes time. And individual RDS take time and precision to remove. Again, not something I would expect people to be able to do after a couple of cars

You also say "Just did one to day 8 hours and not 100% happy". There is no way you get a car 100% in a day. If someone says or suggests they did, then they are lying or have low standards as to what 100% is.

I think your biggest issue is one of perception. You have set yourself unrealistic goals based on your perception of what others achieve. You will without question improve as you do more cars for friends and family. But you should be really taking your time and learning to enjoy the process, and enjoying to learn. All the little things you pick up each time add up to an improvement on the next car, and so on. Setting time constraints when they are not required only breads poor results and leaves no time to learn

So to the actual mechanics of it. If you are using a forced rotation da then you have torque. Add in a wool pad to your tools. Its not about how much it cuts, but HOW it cuts. Wool kind of rips into paint meaning scratches are rounded out more easily. MF and foam will never remove such marks like wool will unless you are edging. Wool and m105 is a beast of a combo
stangalang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer
 
dchapman88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,162
Thanks: 398
Thanked 636 Times in 472 Posts
Garage
Ok so I'm no pro but will chuck in my two pennies

My best advice would be to use any 'disappointment' as a learning tool to just move on and adapt ready for your next car.

For example I've done cars that should have been 'easy' to polish as in theory they should of had softer paint but they didn't and I really struggled. I was in no way happy with my results, but I then went and got a scrap panel for practise. Practise on this made me realise i needed some kit changes so bought some MF pads to try which gave me better results on my scrap so the next car I did was a Merc so I went straight for the MF pad to cut and it gave me a better result.

If you can learn to enjoy it and not let what you believe to be poor results bog you down then you'll get to grips with it easier.
All IMO obviously



Sent by a phone of some description!
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,025
Thanks: 5,344
Thanked 4,253 Times in 2,560 Posts
Garage
Basically what matt as said, so your not getting the desired results you hoped for so of course you not going to be happy I was the same when I first started off but I know by experience that practice and a little bit of patience will soon get you the results you are looking for I tend to give advice on what products work for me not how to work them, as that's where you need find out and the only way is practice.

To this day I still am learning when it comes to machine polishing as every car is different but my approach still remains the same You will get there just take your time and hopefully you will start to see the results
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
TrixterDK
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 44
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
Ok, some things of note from what I read.

You are comparing yourself to what you think others achieve. As in, "they" get these results so why cant i. Well "they" may not be telling the whole truth in their posts, setting you an unrealistic goal. "They" may simply be better at it than you and you just need more practice. There is absolutely no reason you should be able to do anything swell, straight away, just because you want to. Plus they may have better time constraints to you

You say "I do around 8 passes and still some scratches". Swirls are easy to get out, scratches not so. You may have to hit heavily scratched panels multiple times to get the desired results, which takes time. And individual RDS take time and precision to remove. Again, not something I would expect people to be able to do after a couple of cars

You also say "Just did one to day 8 hours and not 100% happy". There is no way you get a car 100% in a day. If someone says or suggests they did, then they are lying or have low standards as to what 100% is.

I think your biggest issue is one of perception. You have set yourself unrealistic goals based on your perception of what others achieve. You will without question improve as you do more cars for friends and family. But you should be really taking your time and learning to enjoy the process, and enjoying to learn. All the little things you pick up each time add up to an improvement on the next car, and so on. Setting time constraints when they are not required only breads poor results and leaves no time to learn

So to the actual mechanics of it. If you are using a forced rotation da then you have torque. Add in a wool pad to your tools. Its not about how much it cuts, but HOW it cuts. Wool kind of rips into paint meaning scratches are rounded out more easily. MF and foam will never remove such marks like wool will unless you are edging. Wool and m105 is a beast of a combo
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Maby I am setting the bar to high. Iam learning each time and live it.
I know there is no way to lean this skill fast.
Again I really appreciate it
TrixterDK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrixterDK For This Useful Post:
stangalang (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
stangalang
king of the flexonian
 
stangalang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: saddleworth, greater manchester
Posts: 11,817
Thanks: 7,029
Thanked 9,541 Times in 4,704 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixterDK View Post
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Maby I am setting the bar to high. Iam learning each time and live it.
I know there is no way to lean this skill fast.
Again I really appreciate it
Everything takes time to learn. The one you do it the more you will achieve. But do remember, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors on here, and its not there fault. They have an idea of what is achievable and want to present a good thread, so don't tell the whole truth to look as good as the next guy.

just do you
stangalang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
TrixterDK (07-08-2017)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors