Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Autoglym
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gum View Post
Our liquid clay has issues in the cold. Magma is, apparently, a different formulation so you might be better sticking with it.

Autoglym- you have cloud point issues, I know it is cold at this time of year but you should get the formulations guys to get a bit of hydrotrope in there.
Not an expert by any means, but I thought cloud point issues tend to occur at too high a temp? Happy to learn a bit more though if incorrect?
fatdazza is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatdazza For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (25-02-2018)
Old 23-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #12
TheOuterLimit
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
Not an expert by any means, but I thought cloud point issues tend to occur at too high a temp? Happy to learn a bit more though if incorrect?
You certainly know more than Mr Gum, he's repeated his flawed understanding of this, and other basic subjects, several times. Cloud points must be known if the product is to work most efficiently.
TheOuterLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOuterLimit For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (25-02-2018)
Old 23-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #13
Ben Gum
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
Since the other guy is so unpleasant, Iíll ignore.

Often you are correct but what we are seeing here is a salt induced cloud point of an anionic surfactant. Basically, at low temperature, both surfactant and salt cannot dissolve in the available water. Raise the temperature and solubility increases and clouding goes away.

Cloud points at higher temperature are more commonly a result of nonionic surfactants.

Iíll leave it to the other guy now.
Ben Gum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Gum For This Useful Post:
fatdazza (24-02-2018)
Old 24-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
TheOuterLimit
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Since the other guy is so unpleasant, Iíll ignore.

Often you are correct but what we are seeing here is a salt induced cloud point of an anionic surfactant. Basically, at low temperature, both surfactant and salt cannot dissolve in the available water. Raise the temperature and solubility increases and clouding goes away.

Cloud points at higher temperature are more commonly a result of nonionic surfactants.

Iíll leave it to the other guy now.
Thanks. This is not correct... it's a low temp effect know as Krafft point, (critical micelle temperature) you can suppress cloud point by addition of a salt, but it still occurs at warmer temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOuterLimit For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (25-02-2018)
Old 24-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #15
Ben Gum
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOuterLimit View Post
Thanks. This is not correct... it's a low temp effect know as Krafft point, (critical micelle temperature) you can suppress cloud point by addition of a salt, but it still occurs at warmer temps.
That is a matter of terminology. This is a forum about detailing and not chemistry. From the view of almost all on this forum, they will see the product goes cloudy at low temperatures. Hell thats hat operations people in he industry see. You try telling the guy making he product that the cloudy product hasnít clouded, you have issues itís your krafft point.

In any case, the problem is there and Iím sure autoglym will sort it. For my part, Iíve had my fill. Too many people, like you, rather have a fight than dispel msketing crap. With your 4 post count, you may take over from me as you clearly know more and have some interest in busting detailing myths. Iím out and will remove previous posts. Goodbye.
Ben Gum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
TheOuterLimit
Unwashed Member

Quote:
That is a matter of terminology. This is a forum about detailing and not chemistry. From the view of almost all on this forum, they will see the product goes cloudy at low temperatures. Hell thats hat operations people in he industry see. You try telling the guy making he product that the cloudy product hasnít clouded, you have issues itís your krafft point.

In any case, the problem is there and Iím sure autoglym will sort it. For my part, Iíve had my fill. Too many people, like you, rather have a fight than dispel msketing crap. With your 4 post count, you may take over from me as you clearly know more and have some interest in busting detailing myths. Iím out and will remove previous posts. Goodbye.

No, wrong again Benny... it's not terminology and you should know this, but you don't, so keep quiet. Using a surfactant blend just past cloud point is useful in maximising cleaning power - not something that will happen due to cold.

I've seen you spout rubbish and it's you that brings "chemistry" to this detailing forum running down members as a side-effect... a self-professed guru. You make assumptions to make others look foolish and even comment on manufacturers' products - like you have here. I've seen your lack of knowledge with regard, inter-alia, sol-gel chemistry... you don't understand it, yet state it's marketing rubbish - not helpful and damaging to those that do. Plus you do it all with anonymity. Poor, and dangerous.

It appears a challenge by someone equally anonymous who is a chemist sends you running, perhaps to get a nice new Thomas Salter beginner's kit? Bye
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheOuterLimit For This Useful Post:
big dave 666 (24-02-2018), Brian1612 (25-02-2018), huxley309 (01-03-2018), shine247 (26-02-2018), trv8 (26-02-2018)
Old 24-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #17
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,596 Posts
"Autoglym- you have cloud point issues, I know it is cold at this time of year but you should get the formulations guys to get a bit of hydrotrope in there."

I am no chemist, but a throw away statement like this makes me doubt your credibility, having seen the extended laboratory and real world testing that Autoglym carry out before releasing a new product.

It's the reason that i absolutely trust any product from them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
GleemSpray is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
bigkahunaburger (24-02-2018), Brian1612 (25-02-2018), spursfan (29-04-2018), Tiggersmith (24-02-2018), trv8 (26-02-2018)
Old 26-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #18
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ

Thanked 1,617 Times in 838 Posts

Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Autoglym For This Useful Post:
bigkahunaburger (26-02-2018), Brian1612 (27-02-2018), Kenan (26-02-2018), spursfan (29-04-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Harry_p

I bought some at the weekend, it sat in a car in below freezing conditions all night and was still hovering close to zero when I tried it the next day. It worked well, really well infact. Cloud point issues or not...

Really good to have an excellent fallout remover available off the shelf from a mainstream retailer at last.

Just hoping Halfords do a 3for2 soon
Harry_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
Brian1612

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoglym View Post
https://youtu.be/KEsKIM9MZnE

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post: