Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 16-04-2018, 12:51 AM   #1
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
New to us VW Up

My partner had owned her 2015 Corsa LE for coming up to a year.

We both liked the look of it, and the asteroid grey cleaned up really well. It definitely looked a lot faster than it drove though as the 1.2 engine was utterly gutless. It never really felt nippy in any situation. The fuel economy wasn't great, it couldn't come close to the Micra k12 1.2 that it replaced; this would not have been helped by Vauxhall's decision to fit 215 tyres on a 1200cc car. Its fate was finally sealed by the poor visibility and blind spots, as this meant that the GF didn't like parking and driving it. She said that she's had a nice looking car and now she isn't bothered and would prefer something that she would feel confident driving. She also worried about kerbing the black alloys on the Corsa as she knew they'd look a mess.

We kept a lookout for a replacement: we did consider a k13 Micra, but the reviews weren't all that great. During a visit to Northallerton, the GF spotted a 'nice looking' VW Up at Lookers. She didn't know any further details as she was just walking past and so I had a look online and found a '66' plate with one private owner and just 320 miles on the clock. It turned out to be the same car that she had seen although the price differed as they had knocked £700 off the screen price since she had seen it just a few hours earlier.

Here is the replacement.

First impressions of the car are really good: it feels relatively nippy but is still running in. The interior spec/trim is basic but what you do get is well put together. Good ease of connectivity with the phone/bluetooth. Economy should be around the 55-60mpg mark for the type of trips that we do. Tax is £20 as this is a pre-April 2017 car. An absolute doddle to manoeuvre, good turning circle and it feels more connected to the road than the Corsa did. Surprisingly roomy inside, so there is a purpose to it being shaped like a washing machine. The little 3 pot engine sounds quite characterful too.

When the deal was done, I had requested that it they didn't wash it again prior to collection, as I would be sorting it myself and it would be a complete waste of their time. They didn't take much notice, as it had been cleaned upon collection. The salesman said he 'couldn't resist'.

The paintwork felt smooth and it looked in good shape, as was the glass too. I think that it may have been garaged, as even given the really low mileage it has been registered for 18 months.

The main contaminant was the dealer applied tyre dressing that had sprayed both sides of the car. Applied BH Auto foam to the car including door shuts to pre-wash.

Rinsed, ready for AF Lather on this occasion.

Gave the wheels a going over with the Air Blaster and used some BH Auto wheel.

The dealer tyre dressing was a right paint to remove as it had attracted all the grit. It looked more like used engine oil and was like it to remove.

There was still lots of sticky residue from the delivery stickers over the driver's handle when new (not easy to see).

Applied Korrosol to dry paintwork.

Rinsed off. Didn't clay the paint as it felt very smooth to start with and I also had no plans to machine polish. Very minimal amount of tar on the body to remove.

Moved into the garage to continue. Under the lighting, I could see that there wasn't any excessive swirling and I wasn't going to be machine polishing for the sake of it. I have recently bought some AG UHD wax and so I went around the car with the AG SRP first.

I recently used the UHD wax on my ST and have been really pleased with the results since. I am intrigued to see how long it lasts. Beads extremely well. Same story here on the Up, all aspects of the kit did the job well. All in all, I would definitely recommend it.

Once done and dusted with the paint, I treated the glass with Gtechniq G1. I didn't polish the glass with G4 as I didn't feel that it needed it. Just wiped over with Carpro Eraser beforehand.

Treated front & rear light lenses, plastic trim, mirror glass lenses and rubber seals with Carpro DLUX.

Inside was easy to wipe down. Pretty no frills, and not too much glossy trim to worry about scratching. AG Interior Shampoo was used here. The shiny radio and speedo fascia was given a gentle wipe with AF Crystal with a fresh microfibre cloth.

Finished article - although being white, you'll not see any major transformation on a picture:

Rained heavily a while later.

Last edited by c87reed; 16-04-2018 at 01:01 AM.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to c87reed For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (16-04-2018), daydotz (16-04-2018), Soul boy 68 (16-04-2018), todds (16-04-2018), Zebra (24-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 04:25 AM   #2
todds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Lovely looking car especially in white. You did a superb job on the exterior and especially the interior. Many happy and safe driving miles to you and your partner.
regards
todds
todds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todds For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
muchoado
PC Perfectionist

looks very smart
muchoado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to muchoado For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
percymon

Garage
Great little motor - Fortaleza alloys are my favourite on the Up!
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 5,788 Times in 4,051 Posts
Garage
Definitely the better car, a really nice job on the washing and detailing. Things are looking up

Name:  detailingworld header_zps6mbe3maa.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  65.2 KB
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Peter D
Orbital Oracle

Great looking Up! We’ve bought our son a Skoda Citigo and that is great fun to drive - reminds me of my old Fiat Panda 100HP.
Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter D For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
nbray67

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,567 Posts
Garage
We had one of these in Santorini for a few days. Delivered to us with about 600 miles on the clock.

Loved it for getting around the island etc.... As you say, feels nippy and sticks to the road like glue. We really enjoyed it for the amount of time we had it.

Cracking effort on finding such a low mileage 66 plate one.

White cars are the hardest to get looking glossy but that looks rather sweet with the AG UHD.

Nice one!
nbray67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
packard

Love a smal, super mini style car, often s lot more fun in small confined spaces than a bigger car. Top deal by look of it.
packard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packard For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
Andyblue

Thanked 1,066 Times in 960 Posts
Very nice, always nice to have a new motor

Hopefully fuel economy will be improved over the Corsa as your hoping
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)
Old 17-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
Leesey
Sponge Jockey

Looks lovely we recently got me a Citroen c1 65 plate to get me to and from work and it’s brilliant we did look at these but with what I wanted to spend the Citroen was better value but I do like these a lot.
Jon
Leesey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leesey For This Useful Post:
c87reed (17-04-2018)