Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
roscopervis
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
Another nice place (but probably need to adjust your budget a bit) is Fuertaventura, Jandia is a nice town with a beautiful beach. (For miles)
The Iberostar Palace is straight on th beach, good pool, children’s entertainment etc.
I think it’s now all inclusive.
Beaches are clean sand. Watch for the nude beaches if this is or isn’t your thing near the lighthouse.
That side of the island is a couple degrees warmer than Corralejo in the north, but there is always a breeze.
We've stayed there as well and really enjoyed it. There's nice chipmunk things to feed if you get bored.

I think Kos is a pretty good place, but some of the beaches aren't that great. We stayed at the Astir Odysseus which is right on the beach and a couple of miles outside the town. Very nice.

Didn't think much of Lanzarote, too much Brits abroad for my liking.

Sardinia is very nice, but some parts are not very touristy at all. The east coast has spectacular beaches, but not much else to do. Alghero seemed to be the best compromise between things to see and a place to relax.

Mallorca is beautiful away from the Magaluf area. Alcudia can be a bit rowdy but there are nice beaches and hotels up there. There are other quieter resorts too like Cala D'or. I'd go back.
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #22
Caledoniandream

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
We've stayed there as well and really enjoyed it. There's nice chipmunk things to feed if you get bored.

I think Kos is a pretty good place, but some of the beaches aren't that great. We stayed at the Astir Odysseus which is right on the beach and a couple of miles outside the town. Very nice.

Didn't think much of Lanzarote, too much Brits abroad for my liking.

Sardinia is very nice, but some parts are not very touristy at all. The east coast has spectacular beaches, but not much else to do. Alghero seemed to be the best compromise between things to see and a place to relax.

Mallorca is beautiful away from the Magaluf area. Alcudia can be a bit rowdy but there are nice beaches and hotels up there. There are other quieter resorts too like Cala D'or. I'd go back.
We stayed earlier in the year in Mallorca (Pollensa) but where shocked by the prices.
I don’t mind to pay decent money, but for a very basic lunch, with a glass of wine each for €50.- is taking the Micky.
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #23
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,677 Times in 4,234 Posts
I personally find all the Spanish, Portuguese, Bulgarian etc resorts I've done all too similar.

Some people love a holiday where they sit next to the pool all day and relax, or a wonder down the beach, but that is not for me.

I totally hated the Algarve. Maybe that was my fault as I somehow thought it was a bit more classy than the Spanish resorts. The new town was just a concrete jungle. The old town was better, but still hardly what I expected. The harassment to enter every restaurant annoyed the life out of me. It was just all the same tacky crap for sale everywhere.

I did think Salou got pass marks, but that was only due to the theme park and swimming park. They aren't much use to such a young kid. It still had all the same tacky nonsense, "British pubs" and "all day English breakfasts".

I've never understood why so many people rave about certain resorts when they would complain if it was their living standard here.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
Fentum

Thanked 1,519 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post

SNIP

We had friends who had a house north of Alghero and it was a beautiful part of the world, with great beaches etc.

My son was four at the time of the last visit and he was treated like royalty in the cafes and restaurants (as indeed he was in the rest of Italy). BTW, the cuisine is distinct and excellent.

But there is little laid on in resorts on the NW side of the island and you'd probably have to hire a car to get around.

Self-catering (or an agriturismo - you might find one that let children "help" with the animals) and car hire is a common option round there and there are plenty of cheap eateries in Alghero (or were before the pound tanked).

Apart from Alghero, Sassari is an interesting town and Porto Torres worth a visit - good beaches.

Peter
Fentum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #25
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,119 Posts
For easter you need to be looking towards the canaries, you stand a better chance of it being warm and dry, the Balerics will only just be opening up for the season.

We always go to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote in Feb/March, we either stay in the white suites but given its adults only that would rule it out for you.

We also stay at Princesa Yaiza but it might be above your budget, however it over looks the beach and there are the typical bars around, to the left is the marina, to the right the town centre

http://www.princesayaiza.com/

We also went to Gran Canaria this year in July, this time we stayed half board and given you have kids it might be the better option, the hotel was massive and more than enough to keep everyone occupied but not much in terms of kids club (Princesa Yaiza has Kikoland which might be free to hotel guests)

We stayed here (4th time)

https://www.lopesan.com/en/hotels/sp...sta-meloneras/

This hotel also appears in the new Jet 2 advert, it would probably be the better choice however it wasn't overun with kids when we were there, shops and restaurants were along the prominade as well as lots of expensive watch shops.

Alcudia is ok, its brits abroad, the beaches are great and its ideal for kids. We stay here

https://www.hotelsviva.com/en/viva-sunrise/

we have stayed there for the last 5/6 years, Mallorca is getting very expensive though.

The other choice would be H10 Rubicon Palace in Playa Blanca, its great for kids (friends have stayed) but its at the wrong end of the resort, to get to town you would need a taxi, approx 5 euros, or a hire car for a week is around 80 euros (Plus Car)

Hope that helps
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #26
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,065 Posts
how about a good old Brit holiday to the Isle to Wight? or Jersey? or even the Scilly Isles?
bidderman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bidderman1969 For This Useful Post:
Fentum (19-09-2018)
Old 19-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #27
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,778 Posts
Garage
Perhaps I could make a suggestion for a holiday closer to home. How would Ireland sound?

Many wonderful coastal towns, plenty of great food, beaches, an wonderfully welcoming people (not blowing my own trumpet lol).

Killarney, Cork, The Ring of Kerry, Galway, the Wild Atlantic Way, Donegal, Fermanagh, Portrush/Portstewart. Plenty to do and see.

Have a look at https://www.discoverireland.ie/

https://discovernorthernireland.com/

Cheers.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
bidderman1969 (19-09-2018), Fentum (19-09-2018), SteveTDCi (19-09-2018)
Old 19-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #28
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,065 Posts
Dingle is nice, proposed to the wife at Dingle, well just outside, at Connors Pass
bidderman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bidderman1969 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (19-09-2018)
Old 19-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #29
Caledoniandream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Perhaps I could make a suggestion for a holiday closer to home. How would Ireland sound?

Many wonderful coastal towns, plenty of great food, beaches, an wonderfully welcoming people (not blowing my own trumpet lol).

Killarney, Cork, The Ring of Kerry, Galway, the Wild Atlantic Way, Donegal, Fermanagh, Portrush/Portstewart. Plenty to do and see.

Have a look at https://www.discoverireland.ie/

https://discovernorthernireland.com/

Cheers.

Cooks

Stayed a couple of years back in Ardara (county Donegal) absolute stunning.
We stayed in an old thatched cottage, what was heated with a peat fire.
The ultimate holiday, no internet or phone signal.
Beaches where clean and absolutely empty, walked for hours.
The little thing that let it down a bit, it was middle of July, we where wearing big coats and hats.
We needed the peat fire to keep us warm.
But man I enjoyed it, lovely people, nice food, fantastic life music, what was not to like.

But I wouldn’t go there if I needed some heat in my bones, some sun on my bald head, a dip in the sea.
But otherwise Ireland has it all!
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
Cookies (19-09-2018)
Old 19-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #30
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,778 Posts
Garage
We rented a house in Rathmullan a few years back. At the end of the garden was a gate onto the beach. It was just great. Watching the waves while sitting beside a turf fire in the house.

You don't come for the sun, that's for sure, but what you do get more than makes up for it.

Cooks

Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Caledoniandream (22-09-2018)