Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
planehazza
Sponge Jockey

Tell me I did OK? :D

Car was minging; it was three weeks old, still had transport wax and hadn't been washed yet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DGtz2oCh9y4OCQBV2

So, I started by a good rinse from the K2 Karcher. I let the majority run off before spraying ~7-10% concentrate (I put ~750ml in a 5L sprayer, then filled the rest with water) of BH Surfex HD over the wheels, arches, and tyres, one at a time. I agitated the tyres with a Vikan wheel brush, before rinsing and moving on to the next one.

The alloys were then cleaned with a noodle mitt and stick thing (I really need an EZ brush, that'll be the next purchase), with the tight areas and bolt holes washed by a wheel detailing brush. All wheels were rinsed to ensure no product could was left to dry.

Moving on to the car, I then took the same Surfex 7% mix to the worst areas of the paint, namely door handles down around the whole car. Again, I left this on the paint maybe 3 mins at most - I was really freaking out that I'd damage the new car so I've probably been overly cautious. That was rinsed, then a stronger than normal snow foam (30/70 Valet Pro Ph neutral) was applied to the whole car, wheels included, just to ensure nothing was missed and all previous products were removed. I let that dwell and whilst it was I used a clean detailing brush to agitate the nooks and crannies. After about 10 mins, it was all rinsed.

Two bucket wash with Meg's Gold class and a new sheepskin pad; was a joy to use. Only once did I actually see dirt gather on the pad so the pre wash steps did a good job! Car was then rinsed and quick dried with wooley mammoth.

Felt the paint to feel any tar spots as I couldn't see them with it being a dark car. Sprayed the lower half with Oblitarate, let it dwell, then removed with a micro fibre. Then, I sprayed the car with a 50/50 diluited Iron out. Again, I struggle to see any purple reactions, so it was on the car for maybe 3 mins before rinsing off. Car was snow foamed with a weak mixture this time, just to ensure there were no traces of those left on the paint. Rinsed and dried again.

Now, this is where I started to run out of time. Ideally I wanted to go over the whole car with lime prime via DA. I'm thinking I should have probably stopped, and resumed the next day, but I always worry that because I'm working entirely outside, that I need to get it all done in a single day. What I think I should have done, was call it a day, and rinse the car the next day ready for cleansing and waxing. I needed the car (I was cleaning at my parents' house) to get home so I wasn't keen on getting it dirty again.

I started on the bonnet, doing it by quarters. I spread the product by dabbing it around with the pad, then spread quickly on speed 2. I then worked the area going up and down (working across), then left and right (working down), then up and down. This meant I didn't miss any bits, and the area had a good covering of the lime prime. Was this enough? I'm not sure how long one is meant to spend? I'd say the whole bonnet took about 20 mins? I spent about 5-10 mins doing the boot lid. I did the thin panels between the doors and roof by hand, but this is where I was running out of time so I had to choose between abandoning the cleansing and moving on to waxing the whole car, or finishing cleansing and leaving the car without any wax. Because I needed the car that night I chose the former. Might not have been the perfect choice, but I figured it better to have good wax on top of not perfectly prepped paint than prepped, bare paint. Please comment to tell me what I should have done

In the end, I still ran out of time. So it ended up that about 30% of the car was treated to lime prime, and about 80% waxed. The above took ~8 hours, and I was exhausted and the light was so poor at the end that I could barely see the wax to remove it.

Nice beading, perhaps not the best, as I forgot in my haste to let the wax haze. The 530e bonnet is massive, so I tackled in in quarters again. This is the bonnet this morning after light rain:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vFAXHpT4rlAwVqHk2

Compared to the roof which is currently unprotected. The beading here, if you can call it that, is probably due to trace left overs of factory wax and the Meg's Gold Class: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8e3oviQgwJ171bms1

If the rain stops today, I will give it a rinse and put wax on the roof, front and rear bumpers, and then fast glass the windows.

Sorry, I know that was a long read. All in all, I know I cut corners in the cleansing stage, but I think it came out well. I need to cover the roof and treat the windows, but I'll do that today I hope.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/13EzhHMcBCEfVNb33

Couple more point and click shots from earlier:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gj6TyKKfArp7P4TI2

I need to get some after pics today

Last edited by planehazza; 03-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.
planehazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Nice car. I like the beading.

I think you know where things could have gone better, but as you've said you run out of time. There's never enough time when you need it, and this time of year light fails very quickly indeed which is a pain. Can't wait till the summer where I too will have more light to work. What wax did you use?

Just to point out though, 750ml in a 5 litre sprayer will give you a concentration of more like 15%, unless I'm wrong? It's been a long day already. Problems at work have pushed me to browse on here rather than do what I needed to do!
Alex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex29 For This Useful Post:
planehazza (04-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
planehazza
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex29 View Post
Nice car. I like the beading.

I think you know where things could have gone better, but as you've said you run out of time. There's never enough time when you need it, and this time of year light fails very quickly indeed which is a pain. Can't wait till the summer where I too will have more light to work. What wax did you use?

Just to point out though, 750ml in a 5 litre sprayer will give you a concentration of more like 15%, unless I'm wrong? It's been a long day already. Problems at work have pushed me to browse on here rather than do what I needed to do!
Oops you're right, that would 15%. In hindsight, when I picture the level line, it would have been about 400-500ml so I'm confident it wasn't too strong.

Bilt hamber double speed. I found it hard to apply and remove; the blue micro fibre was grabby but again I think my technique was wrong. I think I put too much on, so it's certainly not a fault for the product.

Last edited by planehazza; 03-02-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by planehazza View Post
Oops you're right, that would 15%. In hindsight, when I picture the level line, it would have been about 400-500ml so I'm confident it wasn't too strong.

Bilt hamber double speed. I found it hard to apply and remove; the blue micro fibre was grabby but again I think my technique was wrong. I think I put too much on, so it's certainly not a fault for the product.
I've only got two waxes. One is the original turtle wax paste wax, which I liked but was a bit of effort to put on and take off.

My second wax was Bilt Hamber double speed. I think it was easier to put on than turtle wax but not easy easy. Taking off I used a farecla g3 finishing cloth rather than the supplied one. I've not tried to take it off before hazing before so don't know if that's why it was maybe a bit more grabby if it hadn't cured properly?

It came off pretty well, and the beading is really nice. I don't feel experienced enough yet to plan on spending much more on wax. BH gets some really good reviews. Hopefully when the weather is better and the days are longer, you might have a better experience with it.

Still it's nice to get out and do what you can. My car is ok for wax at the moment so considering doing my other halves car, or even my parents! The bug has truly bitten!!
Alex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
planehazza
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex29 View Post
I've only got two waxes. One is the original turtle wax paste wax, which I liked but was a bit of effort to put on and take off.

My second wax was Bilt Hamber double speed. I think it was easier to put on than turtle wax but not easy easy. Taking off I used a farecla g3 finishing cloth rather than the supplied one. I've not tried to take it off before hazing before so don't know if that's why it was maybe a bit more grabby if it hadn't cured properly?

It came off pretty well, and the beading is really nice. I don't feel experienced enough yet to plan on spending much more on wax. BH gets some really good reviews. Hopefully when the weather is better and the days are longer, you might have a better experience with it.

Still it's nice to get out and do what you can. My car is ok for wax at the moment so considering doing my other halves car, or even my parents! The bug has truly bitten!!
Thanks, mate. In bold is exactly my thoughts. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to do everything perfectly; I was getting concerned that the Wax would fail after a week because of the lack of prior cleansing. Realistically, that's just not likely to happen, and putting a good coat of LSP on was more beneficial than stripping off every last trace of factory wax and leaving it without protection.