Detailing World Forum banner

The Pressure Washer Upgrade & DIY Setup Thread

278K views 425 replies 88 participants last post by  spyk3d 
#1 · (Edited)
So, there's been a lot of threads (and PMs!) about this topic - upgrading hoses, guns and lances on "normal" PWs, and extending home setups (hose reels, water butts and pumped water setups) etc. So I thought it was worth kicking off a thread where folks can post their own setups, ask questions about upgrades they're thinking about and get inspiration and ideas from what others are doing. I'll kick off by copying my post from this thread...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine is a bit of a mongrel of a setup:

Kranzle HD7/122

Kranzle M2000 standard gun, adapted to 19.5mm inlet quick release and Kew outlet quick release
MTM Hydro "Astra" wash gun adapted to same connections as above

Standard Kranzle flat jet, Dirtkiller and underbody lances adapted to Kew quick release
Pressure Washer Parts UK "cranked" lance 450mm with interchangeable nozzles
DIY "Shortie" lance with female QR straight into Kew probe so interchangeable nozzles can be attached straight onto the end of either gun

Foam lance adapted to Kew QR (again, for use on either gun)

15m hose on a reel with Mosmatic swivel at gun end
Original Kranzle 10m hose with 19.5mm QR fittings - can be used standalone if I take the machine elsewhere or as an extension to hose on reel if needed.

DIY mobile platform for PW to allow for easier movement (some large castors attached to a piece of plywood, essentially)

All sits on / hangs off a DIY bracket / hanger / system organiser in the garage.

Pics:

DIY bracket

DIY bracket, other side.

Both guns

Lances - top to bottom, underbody, flat jet, Dirtkiller, cranked, shortie Vario, shortie (interchangeable nozzles)

Foam lance adapted for Kew QR

Platform rear view - shock cord secures the machine on top

Platform side view - the grubby MF is by way of insulation to keep the warmth in from the trace heating cable wrapped around the pump head

QR for machine outlet. You can see the camlock inlet and the trace heating cable as well

Original Kranzle hose adapted for 19.5mm QR

My Mosmatic swivel :argie: on the end of the 15m hose on the reel

Adapted hose so I can connect a normal hose to the machine (normally it runs off a 25mm ID hose from the water butts, to a camlock connector on the inlet)

Edit - I've added some of the recent (and not so recent!) threads that made me think to start this one, which may also be useful:

Rob D 88's K4 Change Of Gun Thread
andyfish's PW upgrade thread (specifically regarding DIY options for a new PW build)
Whizzer's shortie lance thread
steelghost's running a PW off a waterbutt thread (with particular emphasis on parts and fittings needed to achieve sufficient flow rate)
bigbruiser's K4 lance upgrade thread

Any others you think would be useful to include here, PM me and I'll edit this post.

See less See more
#186 ·
Just looking for advice for how to stop water to a pressure washer without having to turn off the tap so I can switch to normal garden sprayer to fill buckets etc.

I've looked at the aquastop hose connectors ones but they limit flow so I would rather avoid.

However I've found this to go between the hose and pressure washer:

https://www.gardena.com/uk/products...ector-with-control-valve-13-mm-1-2/901030801/

and this:

https://www.kaercher.com/uk/home-ga...tors-tap-adaptors/control-valve-26451980.html

The Gardena one looks better as the Karcher will need a female adapter to connect it to the hose. Just wondered if anyone else uses anything similar or if there's a better solution?

Cheers

#187 ·
Just looking for advice for how to stop water to a pressure washer without having to turn off the tap so I can switch to normal garden sprayer to fill buckets etc.

I've looked at the aquastop hose connectors ones but they limit flow so I would rather avoid.

However I've found this to go between the hose and pressure washer:

and this:

https://www.kaercher.com/uk/home-ga...tors-tap-adaptors/control-valve-26451980.html

The Gardena one looks better as the Karcher will need a female adapter to connect it to the hose. Just wondered if anyone else uses anything similar or if there's a better solution?

Cheers
Hi Cobra,

Have you thought about getting a splitter on your tap?

Something like this?

#188 ·
Update

So since my last post I have had a little issue. The M22 connector I bought for my C110 popped off when I was using, I tried to put it back on and tighten it but every time you would get to the point where it shouldn't tighten anymore it would come loose like it had been cross threaded.

So as I was already talking to Damian about getting a short angled lance I bought the Nilfisk connector he has to replace the broken M22 one.

Shortly after this is what turned up.

You can see my black M22 connector next to the one that was supplied my Damian at Q Washers which is blue.

Comparing the two I am convinced that they are both the exact same M22 fitting with the exception that Damians is blue. They even have the same writing on them.

Here is a close up of them side by side.

Damians connector fit first time and went on nice and tight. The true test will hopefully be this weekend if the weather holds out.

If it does I'll also try and grab a video of the gun, lance etc in action for those who are interested.

#190 ·
So since my last post I have had a little issue. The M22 connector I bought for my C110 popped off when I was using, I tried to put it back on and tighten it but every time you would get to the point where it shouldn't tighten anymore it would come loose like it had been cross threaded.

So as I was already talking to Damian about getting a short angled lance I bought the Nilfisk connector he has to replace the broken M22 one.

Shortly after this is what turned up.

You can see my black M22 connector next to the one that was supplied my Damian at Q Washers which is blue.

Comparing the two I am convinced that they are both the exact same M22 fitting with the exception that Damians is blue. They even have the same writing on them.

Here is a close up of them side by side.

Damians connector fit first time and went on nice and tight. The true test will hopefully be this weekend if the weather holds out.

If it does I'll also try and grab a video of the gun, lance etc in action for those who are interested.
I think the blue connector looks a little bit smaller - I wonder if there are two different (but similar) sizes, which might explain why the first fitting you got didn't tighten down properly?

#194 ·
Starting literally from scratch

Newbie alert...
Thoroughly confused and in need of sound advice please.

My current set up is troublesome, which won't come as a surprise to many of you:
- lots of leakage
- curling/kinking pw hose
- standard range of various hozelock plastic connectors
- cheap and cheerful plastic hose
- eventually connecting to Nilfisk e140 3.9extra
- with standard nilfisk gun and lance

So starting from the tap I would welcome some advice on how to upgrade my system. Having watched the Obsessed Garage I would love the mtm qr's and an eley hose, but they are not available in the uk so would welcome recommendations on uk options as well...

Please don't go too technical on me :eek:

Thanks in advance for any guidance

#195 ·
Newbie alert...
Thoroughly confused and in need of sound advice please.

My current set up is troublesome, which won't come as a surprise to many of you:
- lots of leakage
- curling/kinking pw hose
- standard range of various hozelock plastic connectors
- cheap and cheerful plastic hose
- eventually connecting to Nilfisk e140 3.9extra
- with standard nilfisk gun and lance

So starting from the tap I would welcome some advice on how to upgrade my system. Having watched the Obsessed Garage I would love the mtm qr's and an eley hose, but they are not available in the uk so would welcome recommendations on uk options as well...

Please don't go too technical on me :eek:

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Hiya

Do you have a budget in mind, and are you looking to replace your machine, or just the low and high pressure hoses and gun etc?

#197 ·
OK, so the "minimum hassle" solution is a hose reel with enough high pressure hose to reach to where you normally use the machine, and the machine hooked up to the water and connected to a "link hose" that feeds into the reel. That way, getting the PW going is as simple as unwinding as much high pressure hose as you need, opening a tap and switching on power to the PW.

Even if the PW can't live next to the reel, you can add QRs to the PW HP outlet and the link hose so they can be hooked up very quickly.

Failing that, there's plenty of reputable eBay vendors who can provide you with a good quality HP hose and suitable gun, nozzles etc - do you have any particular requirements eg short gun?

What's the outlet of your Nilfisk look like - is it just a threaded connector?

#198 ·
Thanks.
If I start with the tap...
- what are the options to upgrade the connector at the tap from fragile plastic hozelock type to more solid, robust and leak free alternatives e.g. is stainless steel possible?
- low pressure hose, any particular make or style that is preferred...and also what hose width is needed...I read about 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch...etc.i don't understand why there would be different widths?
- what QR's are then recommended to connect the low pressure hose to the Nilfisk? And how do I know what size I need?
- the nilfisk has a black qr connector similar to a hozelock style that the hose connects to
- I then to need to upgrade gun, lance and hp hose on the Nilfisk...and then no doubt there will be brand specifics connectors required to Connect everything...again no idea on sizes?

I warned you I was at a basic level! :newbie:

#210 ·
Steelghost (or anyone with a QR setup) do you grease your QRs? I swear I saw something somewhere about making sure you keep them greased, but mine arrived dry from Qwashers and seem fairly stiff getting them in and out. I wondered if I should perhaps grease them up with something?

I have silicone grease and also a special bearing grease with ceramic stuff in it.

Would either of those work? Or something else?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#219 ·
Since I can not get a response from ebay sellers (Qwashers, pressurewasherparts) I will have to source the parts by myself.

So, I was wondering why do you guys go for "normal" quick releases instead of kew quick releases like OP. By the looks, kews seems to have more length to better deal with forces...

And, I'm also thinking on a separated swivel attached to the hose, before the QR, instead of a gun with integrated swivel. That way, like OP, I would have a swivel for both the Suttner and Kranzle gun...

Makes sense?

#221 ·
Since I can not get a response from ebay sellers (Qwashers, pressurewasherparts) I will have to source the parts by myself.

So, I was wondering why do you guys go for "normal" quick releases instead of kew quick releases like OP. By the looks, kews seems to have more length to better deal with forces...

And, I'm also thinking on a separated swivel attached to the hose, before the QR, instead of a gun with integrated swivel. That way, like OP, I would have a swivel for both the Suttner and Kranzle gun...

Makes sense?
I went for the 11.6mm QR fitting for a couple of reasons. I dont like the look of the Kew Female coupling that attachs to the gun, for me its too big and bulky. Also the length of the Kew Male fitting seems unreasonably long to me although I appreciate that once they are "mated" the length may not be unreasonable. For me personally I wanted a short gun setup and for that to happen I need to use short connectors.

I'm not sure what SG's reasons were for using the Kew QR fittings but I'm sure he'll be along to advise why he chose them.:thumb:

SG has the swivel before the QR on his hose and it makes sense if you are intending to have a multi gun setup.

Also I found the best way to get hold of Damien was to call him around 9am. Just from speaking to him they can be unbelievably busy and its really just him and his wife running things.

#225 ·
This has been interesting, and I think helpful, but there is so much information that I can't be sure. I'm looking to upgrade my set-up and have a list of parts. I would be grateful for a steer, if anyone would care to comment on the image attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#230 ·
Looks pretty reasonable.

I have the 20mm QR Female on my PW outlet
my hose is male QR at the PW end , female at the gun end - not that it matters; i just prefer to always have a female at the feed end of all the connections :lol::lol:

Note that 2 wire hose isn't the easiest to recoil manually.

#226 ·
Blimey, those connectors are long! Especially on the stubby nozzle!

Gonna give my new setup a try when we get a dry weekend day (hopefully this weekend) with the Qwashers setup.

I didn't think about having the swivel on the hose - that's a pretty good idea. Does it work as well being attached to the relatively flexible hose, rather than the gun? I have a QR fitting coming for my Kranzle gun, but I'm not sure if I'll ever use it, or use it much - just like to have the option. I guess I could always get another swivel for that if I ended up using it frequently.

What aperture nozzles are required for the 1152TST? I'm interested in possibly getting some different jets. I currently have the 40 degree, which I understand is best for the car.

#227 · (Edited)
Assuming your 1152 is running at the 130Bar (ie you've not turned it down from the factory setting), and 10l/min then , according to this chart

http://server23.sitewizard.co.uk/sites/malcleansenew/images/Info Sheets/Nozzle_Chart.pdf

you are between a 035 and 040 nozzle size.

However the Kranzle owners manual quotes their nozzles to be 042 size (which would make it more like a 110Bar / 10l/min , or a 130Bar, 11l/min machine on that nozzle chart).

040 would probably be fine, 045 would be a safe option I guess ;)

Steer away from 035

#236 ·
What's DGS and DGV?!

When getting mine from Qwashers they advised that the ones they supply are made by Suttner, who supply Mosmatic.

I guess the threads and everything on mine are going to mean that I can't reverse it to fit on the hose rather than the gun?

#237 ·
This is what I have in mind: Option with gun with integrated swivel. Version with individual swivel comes almost 50£ more... Dont know if it is worth it, since I expect the OEM gun will not be put to use that much...

Also, is it worth it to upgrade the gun from ST2300 to ST2600 (LTF and ceramic ball valve)? Another 20£ or so...

#244 · (Edited)
I can't comment either way, my EW365 is too new to judge, and I've no experience of Mosmatic.

Mosmatic guns are based on Suttner with modifications - how big those mods are, and what difference they make i wouldn;t like to say - if you are washing 5 cars a week or more then perhaps any upgraded internal quality might present itself with less long term maintenance.

I bought the EW365 on the basis of the LFT, and the swivel - i'm happy to do without the Mosmatic swivel until my experience tells me otherwise ;)

If you are using the Kranzle trigger gun anyway, and only using the second trigger as a stubby gun set up then how much use/wear are they going to get in 2-3 years use ?

Of course , some people just like to buy the best they can within the confines of their budget / stretch budget ;)

#246 ·
I can't comment either way, my EW365 is too new to judge, and I've no experience of Mosmatic.

Mosmatic guns are based on Suttner with modifications - how big those mods are, and what difference they make i wouldn;t like to say - if you are washing 5 cars a week or more then perhaps any upgraded internal quality might present itself with less long term maintenance.

I bought the EW365 on the basis of the LFT, and the swivel - i'm happy to do without the Mosmatic swivel until my experience tells me otherwise ;)

If you are using the Kranzle trigger gun anyway, and only using the second trigger as a stubby gun set up then how much use/wear are they going to get in 2-3 years use ?

Of course , some people just like to buy the best they can within the confines of their budget / stretch budget ;)
I would suspect that the modification is "Mosmatic" stamped on the blue piece rather than Suttner.

The Suttner stuff is very high quality and rated to pressures far higher than any of our little machines can produce, and the one I have has the ceramic ball and LTF trigger. I'd be surprised if Mosmatic tore it apart and changed the internals as I doubt the need is there with such a high quality gun. The little blue shape on the side of the gun with the branding on it seems like the most likely modification!

Steelghost, where did you get your stubby variable nozzle from? Wouldn't mind one to go in the end of my gun, but all I can find on eBay is turbo nozzles.

#250 ·
Thanks. I used my setup yesterday and didn't touch the lance. For me the stubby gun was fine for doing the whole car.

When I first plugged everything in and turned the tap on it sprouted leaks from two places. A bit of thread lock tape and all sorted. I didn't expect the bolt on Kranzle filter to leak. It's two plastic parts!

The other leak was the tap fitting on the tap itself. (New tap as well as pressure washer.)

I also have a small leak from one of the parts at the bottom of the gun, so that'll need additional tape. That came pre taped though, so need to have a look when I get chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.