Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
G51 NAV
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via MSN to G51 NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
You "polished" the sanding marks out wth SRP?
Yep. There are those who still insist modern SRP does not have a cut. Some even say AG staff have actually told them so. But it has a good enough cut to polish out 2500 sanding marks, even without a rotary if you apply it with something mildly abrasive such as a microfibre applicator. But without a machine I'd have still been at it now.
G51 NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #12
G51 NAV
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via MSN to G51 NAV
Whoops I missed this question
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne451 View Post
Did you use a paint depth guage at all? If so, any idea what the total removed microns were?

Kind regards,
Wayne.
No. I knew what scratches I needed to remove, they were localised to one area. I could tell they were reasonably shallow, so I just kept wiping the panel after every few passes with the 1500 and checking if they'd gone. Stopped immediately after there was no sign of them. Then on the rest of the bonnet I just scuffed it up enough with the 1500 to remove the shine evenly. With the 2500, I lightly passed over the whole bonnet several times until all the marks left by the 1500 were gone and I was left with a dull matte finish with no discernible scratches.

Then I fired up the rotary and prayed to the detailing gods to save me from having to explain to the wife that our most valuable car now has a bonnet which looks like the garage floor.
G51 NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G51 NAV For This Useful Post:
wayne451 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,183 Times in 4,826 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 NAV View Post
Yep. There are those who still insist modern SRP does not have a cut. Some even say AG staff have actually told them so. But it has a good enough cut to polish out 2500 sanding marks, even without a rotary if you apply it with something mildly abrasive such as a microfibre applicator. But without a machine I'd have still been at it now.
Dude it has cut for sure, but its minimal, not nearly enough to chop out flatting marks (unless you just tickled the paint to say you wet sanded like some people do). Honestly, get a quality compound and redo it.
SRP has a minuscule amount of mechanical cut and you used it on a pad that has little to no mechanical cut. It would be a shame for you to continuously see your flatting marks return because they are simply hidden. If you get a modern compound and finishing polish with some pads (don't have to spend a fortune) your results will be far more reliable and permanent
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
G51 NAV (03-06-2018), matt1234 (03-06-2018), Stoner (03-06-2018), TonyH38 (03-06-2018), wayne451 (03-06-2018), ziggy72 (05-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
lewisniven
Unwashed Member

Could be worth giving it a good wipe down with IPA to strip the fillers off just to check. I must admit to being a bit skeptical that you've completely polished sanding marks out with SRP.
lewisniven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #15
tavner2
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
Dude it has cut for sure, but its minimal, not nearly enough to chop out flatting marks (unless you just tickled the paint to say you wet sanded like some people do). Honestly, get a quality compound and redo it.
SRP has a minuscule amount of mechanical cut and you used it on a pad that has little to no mechanical cut. It would be a shame for you to continuously see your flatting marks return because they are simply hidden. If you get a modern compound and finishing polish with some pads (don't have to spend a fortune) your results will be far more reliable and permanent
Ultimate compound or menzerna would help more than srp, agree
tavner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
Sharpyyyyy
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisniven View Post
Could be worth giving it a good wipe down with IPA to strip the fillers off just to check. I must admit to being a bit skeptical that you've completely polished sanding marks out with SRP.
Agreed. I doubt very much you polished 2500 out with SRP.
Sharpyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

Ive just started to wet sand my Nissan Pulsar GTi-R due to poor respray, this has encouraged me to carry on! I myself stood back when I just decided to go for it and thought holy crap what have I just done lol! im going to be using megs 105 with a CG orange pad on black paint, that definetly removes 2000 grit.

Epic car that too!!
burrows1980 is offline   Reply With Quote