Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 19-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
kartman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to kartman
1987 VW Golf mk1 Karmann Clipper cabriolet

This is my first showroom post so be gentle. Long story short I was supposed to be taking my best buddy to his wedding in my mini but I ended up finding more rust in it than expected so the rebuild is taking longer than I'd hoped! Project thread is here. So with the mini not done we decided second best would be to take his dads golf cabriolet. His dad had always kept it very clean and it does very little mileage and clearly has had an easy life, less than 80K since 1987. There is absolutely no rust on the car, so the total opposite of my mini of the same age, it must have been dry stored all its life and has never been welded
My mates turbo went on his mk4 golf a few weeks before the wedding so he has been using it for a bit so it was slightly dirtier than expected but nothing bad at all. Most was in great condition, except for a few scratches and poorly touched up chips by the previous owner. Being single stage paint I wasn't able to get rid of all the marks but I definitely made them less noticeable. I had three days off work, most of which I spent travelling down to my mates, cleaning the golf and finishing my best man speech! the times that I wasn't doing the car I was running round sorting wedding stuff and venues or drinking cider. I gave my best mate the keys to my CC and let him get on with all the final purchasing for the wedding so I could get on with all the cleaning

Loaded up my CC and off to my buddies, luckily I didn't have to take my pressure washer as the large boot was rather full:

Here are the before pics, like I said not bad at all.

kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
kartman

Garage
So now for some work in progress pics
I started in the interior as it was a bit grubby after my mechanic mate had been running around in it for a few weeks, grease on drivers seat, floor mat and steering wheel.

Floor mats were pressure washed, scrubbed with APC and extracted with my wet vac.

Came up rather well, shame they're not originals.

The rear bench has hardly ever had any usage, so as expected came up like new.

Rear seat back had some marks on it

All metalwork properly solid

Rear door cards a bit grubby

My new steam cleaner to the rescue

Floor carpet and pedals needed a good clean up too

The roof lining was the worst bit, very light cream/white colour covered in lots of black from where its been folded down I guess

Agitated with APC and steam cleaned to get the dirt out of all the grain, started to clean up like new

Old 20-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
kartman

Garage
Next I turned my attention to inside the boot, to my surprise the spare and tool kit was like brand new and the wheel had not been on the road in the cars 26 year plus life!
The metalwork under the boot carpet was immaculate so I thought this would be a good place to test out a AIO from Waxybox 17, in comes Nanolex NanoWac which I have to say I was very impressed by. Here are the results, original stickers everywhere too:

Some shots in the sunlight the next day

Also gave the same treatment to under the rear seat bench

And all the clean interior back in

Sorry I forgot to get any before pics of the front seats but considering the light colour and how grubby the drivers seat was, the came up really really well, pretty much like new

Next I turned my attention to the wheels. Its a real shame they are not the originals (have got my mates dad looking for an original set now after a chat with him) but they are very tidy and came up well. One of the fronts has had a spit CV gaitor for a while now so after getting the acres of cv grease off of the rim I got my buddy to fit the new cv gaitor so it stayed clean while I carried on cleaning up the wheels and arches. The wheels were attacked with lots of APC, some Angelwax bilberry wheel cleaner followed by Revelation, and some VP dragons breath as that ran out. They were then sealed with Poorboys wheel wax.

Better wheel pics coming later. I also cleaned up all the wheel wells with my newly purchased brush from the range and as expected these were also mint, the one with the split CV gaitor took some cleaning though. Annoyingly I forgot to get any pics of this. At the same time we rattle canned the the rear drums with high temp satin black as the surface rust let the car down and this really tidied things up.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
kartman

Garage
Next up wash wash and decon time, no pics of this as I was rushing to get it all done and dried and into my mates dads garage before the wedding rehersal.
Procedure was:
Foamed with Angelwax Fastfoam
Washed using two bucket method and poorboys shampoo

Next up was cleaning any protecting the roof, this is the first convertible roof I have detailed so I went with the Autoglym kit and before the roof could fully dry sprayed it with the cleaner and agitated it with the supplied sponge. While I had been doing this the VP dragons breath had been dwelling and was pleased to see very little fallout, only a small amount on the rear end. I then preceded to rinse the cleaner off the roof and all the fallout remover off. I then used some Juicy details TAG remover to get rid off the small amount of tar along the sills, door bottoms and rear bumpers. This was rinsed and the whole car was washed with the two method again to make sure all product was removed. I then dried off the car with the standard blue and red edge drying towel and used my Karcher vac to blow out all the wheels, shuts and awkward bits. I did this as quick as I could as the roof still needed to be slightly damp to apply the AG cabriolet protectant. This was sprayed all over the roof and while it completely dried I went and got changed and freshened up ready for the wedding rehersal. While waiting for everybody else to get ready I cleaned up under the bonnet with APC some of the engine bay. With more time I would like to fully detail the bay but I was careful as some vac pipes were looking rather brittle so didn't want to crack any with steam. Car was dropped of into the garage on the way to the rehersal and left until the next day. Machining and finish pics to come but first I must sleep
Old 20-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
sprocketser

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,274 Posts
Did a great job on the cabrio mate ! lovely pix also . Keep it on .
sprocketser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Gavla
Washmitt Meister

Wow, great result and car is in great condition...
Gavla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
kartman

Garage
So the next day after a night of trying to finish off my best man speech but really just drinking cider I was up earlyish and cracked on with the Golf. Bonnet not bad to start with, some bird etching that the camera hasn't picked up too well.

My mates dad has by accident made quite a good detailing environment by putting up extra lights and moveable spot lights

Lighting is something I really need to improve for future details. Would like a nice LED halide or two on a tripod to move around the car as my little handheld led thingy isn't the best.
All taped up and ready to go

Autofinesse revitalise kit was used as I forgot to buy a new backing plate to go with my new hex-logic pads. Starting to bring back some shine and remove some bumper scuffs.

Car was turned around at some point to make use of the better lighting on one side. Not sure if this pic is before or after I went over it with some megs no 7. I chose this as I knew I wouldn't be able to remove all marks on the single stage paint and have read good things about the oils that it contains which feed the older paints.

Pulled outside to dust off. No wax applied yet. Here you can really see how well the roof came up, much more bright and vivid than it was, any more importantly protected.

Next onto dressing the tyres and trims. For the tyres Juicy details Iced apple tyre and trim gel was used, only just brought this and was very impressed with it, little is needed.

Autoglym vinyl and rubber care was used on the side trims and window seals. Now time for a quick beer before I get to waxing.

My weapon of choice for this was ArtDeShine Obsidian Wax applied with an Auto Finesse wax mate. I was very impressed with this, goes on so easy, very little is needed and buffs of easily too, for buffing I used a brand new Eurow double density shag pile towel.

I only had time for one coat of this as there was the standard pre-wedding meal that evening. The ADS Obsidian wax really added some depth and leaves a smooth silky finish unlike any other wax I have used. Here are some after wax pictures.

Got the hood cover on which I had also cleaned up while doing the interior

A few interior shots

Best get the ribbons and bows on ready for the next day!

Was a paint getting it through the VW badge

Thanks for ready if you've made it this far! Just uploading some pics outside of the church I will pop them up when done

Last edited by kartman; 20-06-2014 at 01:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kartman For This Useful Post:
DSK (10-06-2018)
Old 20-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,070 Times in 3,298 Posts
Brilliant thread.
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suspal For This Useful Post:
kartman (20-06-2014)
Old 20-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
kartman

Garage
All aboard on route to the church, only half a mile up the road for all this effort detailing!!!

Chauffeur duties done for now, roof up quick to stop the interior filling with trees!

All looking very dapper, groom on the left, ushers on the right

Photographer change, me on the right mr best man

Little room near the church so tucked her right out the way

After the ceremony I got to drive her to the reception venue.. Absolutely loved it and now I want a mk1 or mk2 golf!!! Thanks for reading everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to kartman For This Useful Post:
Wrigit (05-06-2018)
Old 20-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
tonyy
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,538 Times in 4,478 Posts
Garage
Looks very nice
tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyy For This Useful Post:
kartman (20-06-2014)