Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 24-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
saabfan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Wheel clean

Bit of back story first.

One of my front wheels has clearly been kerbed heavily. There's some repaired damaged to one of the spokes and even though not visible, it's bugged me enough to try and find a decent replacement. Good ones don't come up very often on eBay but one did recently so I bought it. The intention was to replace the front wheel when I needed new tyres.

I used to be lazy and take my car to the hand car wash. When I started looking after it myself, and cleaning the inside of the wheel barrel, I could see all the old wheel weight residue and the serious scratched and gouges caused by lazy tyre fitters.

The intention was to take both front wheels off just before getting new tyres, replacing one with the replacement one from eBay and clean the other. The state of both front wheel on the inside was Shocking!!

The amount of old wheel weight sticky pads, scratches where old weights had been removed (including one that looked like it had been sanded), tar and even chewing gum was surprising. Both front wheels had chewing gum on them! And of course, the inevitable baked on brake dust.

Because one of the wheels was't going back on the car I concentrated all my efforts on the one that was.

First up was a good soaking with Triple QX Fallout remover. I left it on for about 5 mins and then brushed it in. It reacted really well. I then rinsed and reapplied. Next up was Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover. The reaction to the large amount of tar spots was impressive but even brushing it in, leaving for 10 mins at a time and reapplying several times, it didn't do much to remove the bulk of the spots. It also didn't do much to soften the old weight residue.

It was at this point, I used dental floss and a hair dryer to remove the old weights. I thought I'd use the hairdryer and a lil' chizler to remove the sticky pads. That didn't work very well so I proceeded to soak some cotton make up remover pads in the tar remover and left them on there for some time. This helped soften the pads and with lots of elbow grease I got them removed. I found that the tar spots needed a good coating of tar remover and then attacked them with the lil' chizler. This chipped them off and then a cotton pad soaked in tar remover got the last of the residue off.

To get the bulk of the baked on brake dust from the rear of the spokes, I soaked cotton pads in the fallout remover and left them for some time. this worked but I had to reapply several times. a good stiff bristled wheel brush was needed to help shift it though.

I then polished the wheels with Meguiars Ultimate compound. I tried by hand as I only have 6" pads for my polisher but that wasn't really achieving anything so I got the machine out and gave it a go. It seems my machine is broken as any pressure at any steep seems to stop the pad from spinning! I managed to get it to make a small difference though.

I then polished the wheel using Autoglym Super Resin Polish. It felt so smooth, even if it didn't look immaculate. I then applied a coat of Black Magic Detail Revolutions Wheel Wax and then finished it off with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

It now looks a million times better than it did when I removed it. Even though there are several marks, including claw marks from a tyre machine, the odd bit of corrosion and paint missing, when it it on the car it looks so much better. The only thing that spoils it is the kerbing around the edges. I think it will come up quick well if I get it refurbished.

I think my wheels are pretty typical of the average car. It annoys me that cars are getting treated like this though.

Just need to do the rear two now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
saabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saabfan For This Useful Post:
OldskoolRS (24-05-2018), Sicskate (25-05-2018)
Old 24-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Looks better.

One thing I will note is that the super resin polish will last about a week on a set of wheels so your wheel wax will also be gone after a week as you applied it on top of the super resin polish.
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
ffrs1444
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Have you also taken the wheel weights off
ffrs1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
saabfan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
All the weights have been removed on both front wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrs1444 View Post
Have you also taken the wheel weights off
Old 24-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Jonny_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabfan View Post

Looks great mate.

Not find that you get excessive vibration through the steering though given the wheels arent balanced?

Theres a small weight in the 3rd pic which must have been balancing the wheel so guessing you've removed it cleaning?

Would consider taking it to a tyre place and asking them to rebalance and weight

Last edited by Jonny_R; 24-05-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Jonny_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
saabfan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I see your point. I removed the weights and put the new wheel on the car as I'm getting some new tyres fitted on Saturday. I hardly use the car during the week.

I wonder if they'll respect my wheels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_R View Post
Looks great mate.

Not find that you get excessive vibration through the steering though given the wheels arent balanced?

Theres a small weight in the 3rd pic which must have been balancing the wheel so guessing you've removed it cleaning?

Would consider taking it to a tyre place and asking them to rebalance and weight
The Following User Says Thank You to saabfan For This Useful Post:
enc (25-05-2018)
Old 24-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
saabfan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Looks better.

One thing I will note is that the super resin polish will last about a week on a set of wheels so your wheel wax will also be gone after a week as you applied it on top of the super resin polish.
I thought you could layer wax or sealant on top of SRP. It says you can.
Old 25-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #8
Derek-Eddleston
Sponge Jockey

Quote:

I always remove old weights and the adhesive before getting new tyres fitted. It saves the risk of the tyre fitter damaging his screwdriver when he has to remove them.....

Derek.
Derek-Eddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek-Eddleston For This Useful Post:
enc (25-05-2018)
Old 25-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
enc

Garage
Nice work and a huge improvement. .. just need those brake callipers sorting now
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Andyblue

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,445 Posts
Quote:
I thought you could layer wax or sealant on top of SRP. It says you can.
You can
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote