Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 02-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
mariusz
Sponge Jockey

Ceramic coating removal.

Hi.

Hope you guys can help, some time ago I purchased these cheap ebay ceramic coating (blue bottles) and I thought today of applying it which I did, being stupid I overestimated the thickness and curing time, so i washed the car, wiped it all all over with IPA and then applied the coating. Being a sunny day 24C today I left if for nearly an hour before attempting to wipe it off, it all already cured making nearly impossible to take off with a wipe down. As I also applied too thick coating It has left the smears like if I painted the clear coat with a paint brush ...

Any idea of existing liquids that will dissolve/remove this coating, tried to polisher but with very small result. Need some help as I am all sweating as it looks from a close up like its a ruined paint job on the car !

the worst thing is I did it to my A8 ....
mariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Yikes, you don't apply these coatings outside, let alone in the sun, and definitely not left to cure for an hour before buffing off!

They should be applied inside, out of the sun, and immediately buffed off.

I think your only way to remove is compounding it off. Or maybe a strong acid or alkaline? I'm sure others will be along soon to advise.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
mariusz
Sponge Jockey

Hi, that is exactly all the things I did, silly me now my stupidity is making me a headache.

Hope there is something that can be used to e.g. spray and wipe off this mess.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
escosian
Unwashed Member

I know its not quite the same level but this morning i removed CQUK from my bonnet, that came off with ease with a DA and a fine polish.

Have you got a DA to use ?
escosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
mariusz
Sponge Jockey

Not the DA but I do have a polish machine that I purchased like 10 years ago from CYC, I am just looking for shops where I can buy some medium cut polish compound or similar to tackle it better and stronger.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
mariusz
Sponge Jockey

Only managed to get Meguiars Ultimate Compound right now from the Halfords and also tried wet sand with 2k paper and the polish it out, that was giving best results, but its still sunny here and polish is drying very fast, I think if I find medium or heavy cut compound I will have much better luck removing this ceramic cote off the car. Any recommendations where to get the compound medium or heavy cut and good prices ?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusz View Post
Only managed to get Meguiars Ultimate Compound right now from the Halfords and also tried wet sand with 2k paper and the polish it out, that was giving best results, but its still sunny here and polish is drying very fast, I think if I find medium or heavy cut compound I will have much better luck removing this ceramic cote off the car. Any recommendations where to get the compound medium or heavy cut and good prices ?

Thanks
Hi mate

I can give you 1 recommendation and that is take it to your nearest and dearest professional Detailer and they will be able to correctly remove the coating
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
euge07 (11-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
mariusz
Sponge Jockey

No worries, that would be my last resort if I can't fix it myself. I ordered Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000 so from just using this Meguiars Ultimate Compound and it making some improvement I am sure Menzerna will then fix it completly.

Some parts I already wet sanded and then polished it out so these areas look a bit better.

I left it for now till Tuesday for the Menzerna to arrive and if Menzerna will work without the need of sanding down then I will do it that way, but otherwise I will sand it with 2k and then polish the whole car.

And then I will take it for a as now its embarrassing to even keep on a driveway :P
Old 08-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
mariusz
Sponge Jockey

Hi all

For those who it may interest, polishing did not manage to remove or even shift 10% coating of the bodywork. What I had to end up and I am in the process off doing is wet sand the whole vehicle, my arms are killing me now, a car is now on driveway totally wet sanded and awaiting tomorrow to clean and wipe with IPA prior polishing, fingers crossed I will polish it tomorrow completely so I don't get strange looks driving sanded car

Here is what it looks like,

managed to only do the bonnet today.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:07 AM   #10
Kam09
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Wowzers
Kam09 is offline   Reply With Quote