Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 09-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #21
bibby142
Sponge Jockey

Nicely rescued.
bibby142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #22
padhinbed
Sponge Jockey

well done that man!
padhinbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #23
garycha
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusz View Post
Hi.

Again, as promised here is a photo of what the car looks finally acceptable at least, So to recap, what happened to it.

Being stupid and ignoring the leaflet that was attached to this ceramic coating last sunny weekend I attempted to apply the coating. Having no previous idea how to apply it but for some reason I had in my head that it has to be left for quite a wile before trying to wipe it I covered the whole car in the coating, left it for an hour in sun before I tried to buff it off, and on my return to buff it off coating nearly already harden to an extent that it was no longer possible to buff it off.

Tried to polish the car with heavy compound and heavy cut pads to no help at all, it did not remove even 5/10% of the coating and the paint work looked like it was applied with brush, seriously brush and was visible from standing even like 5 meters away that something is not right and was a bit matt no shine to the body at all.

My next move was to wet sand and polish so it happened, the whole car got wet sanded and then polished. At this stage there are still few marks or strikes of the coating where I have missed to sand it down as there was ton of sand dust or how you call it, milky water, Car has now received a full wet sanding and polish, next weekend I will tackle these just few spots were coating marks are still left and polish these areas again. And at the end when body is perfect condition I will give a car a full wax (and I will stay with waxing forever now)

Moral of the story, coating is not for idiots.

Very well recovered there sir. Glad major disaster averted, although yer clearcoat has had a skinning.

Moral is two fold:
1. always RTMF with ceramic coatings no applications. Exacting is the key word.

2. It's not marketing BS the claims that manufacturers make about wet sanding being needed to remove certain silica coatings.
garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #24
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

Glad to see you got it back to how you want it!
Hopfully we can refer everyone who is skeptical about ceramics to this thread :P
I honestly didnt think it would take sandpaper to remove them, I've done little high spots with scholl S3 with not too much problem, but not certainly not the entire coating on the entire car!
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #25
garycha
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkinson91 View Post
Glad to see you got it back to how you want it!
Hopfully we can refer everyone who is skeptical about ceramics to this thread :P
I honestly didnt think it would take sandpaper to remove them, I've done little high spots with scholl S3 with not too much problem, but not certainly not the entire coating on the entire car!
You proabably don’t lay it on thick, then leave it to dry for an hour before (attempted) wipe down, as did OP

It’s a glass layer, and glass is very hard, not overstate the obvious.
garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #26
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Well rescued. If ever their was a moment to 'Keep Calm Carry On' this was yours
suds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #27
westerman
Orbital Oracle

You must have been well traumatised, I know I would have been. Well done for holding your nerve. The car looks great now.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #28
darrant1234
Sponge Jockey

well done good recovery that. you could always try a ceramic again and follow the instructions and not do it in direct sunlight
darrant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #29
euge07

did you not do any polishing prepwork before coating the car either?
seems absolute madness you would apply a ceramic coating with no idea how to- not having a go I just think it a bit mad.
glad to see you got it looking better in the end
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #30
toni

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to toni
Thin layers of ceramic coatings are usually easy to remove by polishing. But really thick layers can not be polished that easily, although the bond is weak and can be scraped off. I did some tests on a scrap panel and the cheap ebay coatings were among the best at surviving polishing.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote