Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
Yellow Dave
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,117 Posts
Garage
I applied CSL and EXO V2 to one side of my car August 2016. It was applied outside with no cover and left outside over night.

It's still performing better than any other product I've used before, beading is still excellent and is so easy to wash off compared to those panels with conventional waxes and sealants.

When family time allows I'll be applying it to the majority of panels on the wife's car.
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Dave For This Useful Post:
Summit Detailing (08-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
stuartb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
It requires a stricter and more thorough maintenance compared to a wax.
I don't get this at all and it doesn't chime with my experience.

I've tried all sorts of the latest hotshot waxes for years all the way up to having a car professionally corrected and then finished with Zymol Royale.

No wax has ever lasted well for me on a a car that's actually used in the UK. Looks nice and shiny - quite possibly better for a while than ceramics - doesn't last. It all may as well be snakeoil in my experience.

I could not go back from ceramic coatings now (Gtechniq works for me - others may be as good of better - don't know/not bothered).

My maintenance is very slack on the daily drivers (sometimes months go by). I prefer to leave alone if I don't have time to do it properly. The only thing which seems to need care is anything like bird poo and possibly leaving bugs too long. But I don't think that's particularly different for ceramic coatings compared to wax.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Yellow Dave (13-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
dannyd21
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
I don't get this at all and it doesn't chime with my experience.

I've tried all sorts of the latest hotshot waxes for years all the way up to having a car professionally corrected and then finished with Zymol Royale.

No wax has ever lasted well for me on a a car that's actually used in the UK. Looks nice and shiny - quite possibly better for a while than ceramics - doesn't last. It all may as well be snakeoil in my experience.

I could not go back from ceramic coatings now (Gtechniq works for me - others may be as good of better - don't know/not bothered).

My maintenance is very slack on the daily drivers (sometimes months go by). I prefer to leave alone if I don't have time to do it properly. The only thing which seems to need care is anything like bird poo and possibly leaving bugs too long. But I don't think that's particularly different for ceramic coatings compared to wax.
But why are people using citrus washes with ceramic coatings? Surely the point of the ceramic coating is you don't require so many stages of cleaning, ph neutral snowfoam, 2bm(if absolutely filthy) and dry?

I think stricter in the sense of less aggressive cleaners are needed ?
dannyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #14
Peter_222
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I’ve a question about ceramic maintenance.

What happens when you need to de tar, clay and remove fallout from a coated car?? Surely doing this twice a year will diminish the coating??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_222 View Post
I’ve a question about ceramic maintenance.

What happens when you need to de tar, clay and remove fallout from a coated car?? Surely doing this twice a year will diminish the coating??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Broadly speaking ceramic type coatings are inorganic and thus resistant to solvents designed to remove organic (e.g. tar) materials.

Also the reaction for iron fallout removers is mildly acidic, and ceramics are resistant to acids (more so than strong alkali cleaners).

Clay being abrasive will diminish the coating.
fatdazza is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatdazza For This Useful Post:
dannyd21 (18-06-2018), sm81 (01-07-2018), Yellow Dave (15-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
Triggauk
Sponge Jockey

I think Crystal Serum Lite is one of, if not the best consumer grade Coatings on the market in terms of application, curing times, finish and durability it ticks all the boxes. I’ve coated quite a few cars that I get to detail sometime after (the longest being an Aston Martin after 2 years) and the water repellency and silky smooth feel are still very apparent. Second to this is Kamikaze ISM but I find that needs 2 layers minimum and is twice the price of CS Lite.
Triggauk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Triggauk For This Useful Post:
dannyd21 (19-06-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
winceyette
Unwashed Member

Just had our TT detailed with Gtechniq Chrystal serum light. Would using something like Autoglyms tar and glue remover and bug remover be safe to use without it affecting the sealant? TIA
winceyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
bigkahunaburger
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by winceyette View Post
Just had our TT detailed with Gtechniq Chrystal serum light. Would using something like Autoglyms tar and glue remover and bug remover be safe to use without it affecting the sealant? TIA
You would be better off buying their versions (W7 for Tar and Glue) as they are guaranteed to be safe with their coatings. They do a bug remover too I believe.
bigkahunaburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
steeve
Unwashed Member

I did my wife's Mini just over two years ago with Nanolex Si3D and other than occasionally washing it with reactivating shampoo and other times using a PH neutral shampoo never reapplied it. But it's still gleams when cleaned, bugs etc come off very easily as does tar spots.

I did my Focus RS with GT CSL and now my Golf and really rate it. I think a lot is down to ensuring the paint is clean and uncontaminated with wax etc.
steeve is offline   Reply With Quote