Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Yellow Dave
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,106 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
So polishing a car doesnt remove clear coat (lacquer) best tell the news papers as every one must be miss informed.

Polishing paint removes lacquer, Polishing your removes lacquer.

Re-lacquering headlights vs sealing them if a big difference and to get good results with Re-lacquering you would need to take them inside, properly prep and leave them to cure, most people don't have someway they can do that, or 24hours to leave headlights of their car, I have to take my bumper of to take mine out ffs and with the substratebeing clear plastic any imperfections would be more visible.

We ALL KNOW Re-lacquering is the most durable but not the most piratical
Really like the tone of your reply.

When polishing or correcting your paintwork, are you 'completely' removing 'all' the clearcoat in the same way that you do when sanding headlights? I'd be very worried if you are.

And in reference to sealing or re lacquering the headlights. I'm pretty sure I said the similar. Some people can remove their headlights with a few simple bolts. It was a suggestion. Nothing that he 'has' to do. But I wasn't going to tell him to do one or the other, just give them options
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yellow Dave For This Useful Post:
BigAshD (08-06-2018), James_R (09-06-2018), Mugwump (09-06-2018), Sheep (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #12
crash486
Unwashed Member

I applied protective film as it had the benefits of protecting against stones as well. I do a fair amount of driving on unsealed roads.

crash486
crash486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
fatdazza

Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,174 Posts
When I attended the Autoglym open day, they demonstrated their headlight restoration kit. (And to be fair to them it was a very capable and easy to use kit)

The question was asked, whether the headlight should then be "sealed" with "something" to prevent the clouding re-occurring. The response from Autoglym, was that they had tested various sealants and none was successful.

Having seen their testing lab, I have little reason to doubt them. If they could identify something that they could sell I am sure they would.

I have never had a cloudy headlight to deal with, so I cannot provide a personal perspective.
fatdazza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
Caledoniandream

I tried re-lacquer a pair of sanded and polished headlamps.
Keyed them with 2000 again and used 2k lacquer.
They looked brilliant, but at MOT time the pattern was not there anymore and the vehicle failed.
Don't know if this was caused by the sanding and polishing or by the lacquer.

What is funny this was on an E class Mercedes, they where as dull and yellow as you can get, however my neighbor has an little 11 year old Hyundai and the headlamp still look as new.
Is always parked outside and used daily, how can a budget car have better material than a premium make?
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
Yellow Dave (09-06-2018)