Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 20-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Applying sealants and waxes on top of SRP

Hello all,

I'm in the process of correcting the paint on my car. I'm doing it by hand, panel by panel with a full decon routine and Scholl S3/S30. I have soft Honda paint so I can get pretty good results by hand, albeit not perfect like you'd get with a DA.

Given the fact that my correction will ultimately leave a few swirl marks visible, I'd thought about doing a final pass with SRP, just to hide the last marks I couldn't get rid of or that I missed.

I've not used SRP in a long time and I couldn't remember if it's safe/possible to use SRP and then apply a sealant and wax on top. Normally I would apply my sealant to clean, bare paint for best adhesion and durability and then top it off with a wax.

I presume that if I put sealant on after SRP, that the sealant won't bond to anywhere there are SRP fillers present and so after a few washes the SRP and sealant would depart, leaving me with holes in my protection? If that's the case I'm probably better off giving the SRP a miss and just focussing on sealant durability by bonding it to bare paint.

When it comes to detailing, I lean on the side of protection so I'd rather have strong protection with a few swirls still present, than the other way around.

I get the feeling this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer that really settled my mind.

Thanks all
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

Not sure if this will answer your query entirely but I used to use SRP, then Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection, then finish off with a wax to protect. You can miss out the EGP and go SRP>Wax.

I'm not sure if there will be a diminishing effect using SRP over Scholl so will leave that to someone wiser.
Arvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I'd stick with like for like. Use an AG product over SRP and you should be fine.

So EGP or HD Wax or Ultra HD wax.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Sealants must be applied to bare paint otherwise you are wasting your time. Waxes will last far longer if applied to bare paint- however if you are happy to re wax regularly then then applying over a filler is fine
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

I'd skip AG stuff and apply fusso coat once your happy with the level of correction achieved... Fusso can fill light swirls and holograms without much trouble

As suds has said, apply it to bare paint, use some panel wipe before applying fusso
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #6
cheekymonkey
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,710 Posts
Autoglym recommend putting EGP over SRP so dont worry. All this about bare paint seems to get blown out of proportion nowadays.
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheekymonkey For This Useful Post:
westerman (21-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 01:50 AM   #7
danwel
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,414 Times in 2,025 Posts
Garage
Whatever wax you have got in your collection will be fine over the top of SRP. I usually do SRP then whatever wax i pick up
danwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 03:46 AM   #8
shaqs77
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post
Not sure if this will answer your query entirely but I used to use SRP, then Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection, then finish off with a wax to protect. You can miss out the EGP and go SRP>Wax.

I'm not sure if there will be a diminishing effect using SRP over Scholl so will leave that to someone wiser.
what he said!!!

ive corrected my impreza the best I can. haven't got the minerals to go down further. might be wrong but my thought process is that srp will hide and fill some imperfections and then I 'seal' in the srp with a wax. depending on time of year and what kind of shine I fancy depends what wax I use ie dodo juice blue velvet, petes'53 etc etc
shaqs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Thanks all for the responses. I really like the sealant and wax combo I'm using these days so I think, given the need for bare paint, I'm going to give SRP a miss and live with the odd few swirls left behind. I'll still have paint that's in much better condition than it was plus really solid protection.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote