Detailing World Forum banner

Help! Waxing help Needed

6K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  great gonzo 
#1 ·
Hi guys & gals
Dean the new guy here ,

Quick Q : If I use a quick wax eg Megs Spray wax as a drying aid do I still need to come back and wax again after the car is dry

I know a total Noob question so my apologies

Cheers

Dean Bell

#2 ·
You don't strictly need to, but spray waxes don't have a particularly high durability so you will end up needing to reapply often if that is your only protection.

Better is to give the paint a decontamination then apply a "proper" wax, then your spray wax will act as a top up to that.

There are spray sealants like Sonax BSD, Auto Glanz Smooth Velvet, and others, which can be applied in a spray and wipe fashion like a spray wax, but will last a reasonable amount of time on the car. BSD in particular is known for remarkable durability when used in this way.

#3 ·
In my experience, spray wax used as a drying aid will bead and shine for a couple of weeks before it wears off. So if that works for you then great.

You dont need to re-apply it once the car is dry.

As said above, if you want longer lasting protection a paste wax from a tub will give months of shine and protection or maybe consider a longer lasting spray sealant instead of a spray wax.

I have used Autoglym Aquawax for a long time, but have recently moved over to using Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as a drying aid, because it will bead and shine for a couple of months.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have used Autoglym Aquawax for a long time, but have recently moved over to using Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as a drying aid, because it will bead and shine for a couple of months.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I've used the Aqua wax / Express wax for a long while as well and been very pleased how it tops up the HD wax I was using, just started to use the Aqua wax and BSD mixed together over past 2 weeks and initial results very promising :)

#9 ·
If I was to use Sonax BSD as a drying aid would it lubricate the surface enough if for whatever reason there was still gunk on the car. As Sonax themselves say it is thicker than most QDs or with it being thicker would that mean more lubricity just want to minimise the potential for damage

#11 ·
oh I agree Gonzo, I want the car to be as clean as I possibly can get it, but if for whatever reason there was a speck of microscopic dirt I didn't pick up through a mistake or what have you, im asking would the Sonax BSD provide enough lubricity to minimise damage with it being thicker or is it better that its thicker if you get me

#14 ·
I'd rather use a dedicated quick detailer or a dedicated spray sealant, didn't like the spray head, didn't like the grabby way the microfibre feels when buffing, didn't find it very good as a drying aid, it beads well but I was finding a lot of contaminants sticking to the paint so questionable over it's protection abilities.

Gonz.

#15 ·
Thanks Gonzo really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply . "Grabby" is not what I need.. what do you use as a drying aid? if you dont mind me asking. im thinking maybe Megs last touch as I also want to use it as a clay lube perhaps. unsure as of yet id love to use Ammo Hydrate but shipping etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.