Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 20-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
pt1
PC Perfectionist

Definitely works better with a damp applicator..you are maybe puttin to much on or it could be to warm/leaving it to long before buffing.try fusso..its better in every department i think

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

Damp applicator, thin even coat, allow to cure for 1 minute, buff off. Leave for a week. Wash the car and inspect. If you see patches or a cloudy film forming, you most likely applied DSW too thick. The film should reduce as the weeks go by. This is just the excess continuing to cure.

The wax can sweat under high temperatures, especially if the coating is fresh, which may result in a cloudy film forming. It'll go as time goes by, in combination with a few weekly maintenance washes.

Last edited by BradleyW; 20-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
66Rob
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I have had similar issues, thin thin does help but still have struggled with a uniform finish. I think it is also touchy about panel temp spritzing with filtered water to cool the panel and applying thin does help. Autoglym UHD seems to suit me better.
66Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Rob View Post
I have had similar issues, thin thin does help but still have struggled with a uniform finish. I think it is also touchy about panel temp spritzing with filtered water to cool the panel and applying thin does help. Autoglym UHD seems to suit me better.
As long as you don't apply it in the sun, temperature won't be an issue. In the summer, it is important not to allow it to cure too long, 1 minute will suffice.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BradleyW For This Useful Post:
66Rob (21-06-2018)
Old 20-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #15
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
DSW has been my go-to wax for a while now. My own experience has taught me the following tips:

- It helps to have a really clean panel, clayed at the minimum
- Keep the applicator damp using DI water
- Use a completely clean applicator
- Apply to a cool panel panel, out of direct sunlight and ideally on a day with low humidity
- Fully prime the applicator with a gloved finger
- Warm up the wax slightly before use. you could leave it in a warm room or maybe on the cars dashboard
- Apply as thinly as possible if doing it by hand
- Do one panel at a time and buff off after a minute or just as it starts to haze
- Turn your buffing towel regularly and use a bit of water/QD to ease removal if necessary
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
66Rob (21-06-2018), BradleyW (21-06-2018), Soul boy 68 (27-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
sam1970
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskypicker View Post
Ive done 3 different cars with it, different ages, histories of being cleaned or not.

Put it on with a finishing pad on a DA each time and it goes on thinner than i can manage by hand and comes off very easily - as long as you dont leave it to cure hard. Did it once and wont do it again.

I didn't know DSW could be applied with a DAP. How do you apply the wax onto the pad?

Thanks

Last edited by sam1970; 21-06-2018 at 12:45 PM.
sam1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
j20eyk
Unwashed Member

Garage
Thanks for all the responses and pointers

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
Did you clay your paintwork?
Not clayed on this occasion but did it not long ago. Should I be claying every time I wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1 View Post
Definitely works better with a damp applicator..you are maybe puttin to much on or it could be to warm/leaving it to long before buffing.try fusso..its better in every department i think

I have been considering giving fusso a try with everyone raving about it so think it is time to have a purchase

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I will see what BH have to say so I can get to the bottom of the issues
j20eyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #18
riskypicker
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I use the 4" black hex logic pad (not quite a full 4") that fits inside the tin.

Have to say ive never tried dampening the pad. And given how easy its been for my i wont try yet.
riskypicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #19
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
You shouldn't be needing to clay every time you wax, unless you're leaving it months and months between applications. Only time you should be claying is when the car needs it. If the panels feels rough to the touch, you could clay it

A slightly damp pad will help a little, and just get it on as thin as you can, with the lightest touch you can manage. One horizontal and one vertical pass of any piece of paint is all you need then move on. If you hover on an area much more than that, the wax will be curing underneath your applicator and it'll start to drag.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #20
bluechimp
Washmitt Meister

If this is the first application of DSW then yes you should be claying as that will remove most contaminants. You should also be wiping each panel down with Bilt Hambers Cleanser fluid. Last year I never did this and found DSW hard to put on take off and even though I put it on thin, I still got a haze. Determined to get it to work, I bought some Cleanser Fluid for this years application and boy it was an absolute treat to use. The only down side to this is that you can’t have any polish like SRP or glazes hiding swirls underneath, unless you use BH Cleanser Polish.

The key for me was the condition and the purity of the surface I was putting it on, never had to spritze the applicator once, but I wax the car at lightening speed as I never have much time, if I did spritze it, no doubt it would apply even easier.

Finally, I also do two coats, so the week after, quick wash with a pure shampoo, dry and apply a second thin coat to ensure full coverage. Hope this helps.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote