Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 16-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #51
CoOkIeMoNsTeR
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Haha, you have to love the Land Roverisms, itís not the same without them. I have a boringly reliable Audi SQ5 these days and itís great, but it doesnít have the sense of personality the Land Rovers had. It feels very cold and clinical, but then again, it is white *shudders at the thought of owning a white car.

I donít really like white!!
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoOkIeMoNsTeR For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (16-10-2018)
Old 16-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #52
bluechimp
PC Perfectionist

Great update as usual mate, keep us up-to-date with what you do with it! It hasnít half served you well.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluechimp For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (16-10-2018)
Old 16-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #53
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOkIeMoNsTeR View Post
Haha, you have to love the Land Roverisms, itís not the same without them. I have a boringly reliable Audi SQ5 these days and itís great, but it doesnít have the sense of personality the Land Rovers had. It feels very cold and clinical, but then again, it is white *shudders at the thought of owning a white car.

I donít really like white!!
Does look nice. Boringly reliable it may be, but I can guarantee itís better in every single measurable way than a P38

Iím the same with white cars as you, but I also own one - my camper is white. I think itís just that lots of people have white these days. A bit like silver in the early 2000ís.

Chap opposite me has an SQ5 and it sounds really nice. His wife has a matching regular Q5. They must really like them! I say it sounds nice - I can only have ever heard it on tickover as he drives it SO slowly. I donít think itís ever explored more than 10% of its potential
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
CoOkIeMoNsTeR (16-10-2018)
Old 16-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #54
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
My only concession is that it’s the pearl white so it does look nice in the sun I suppose. It does sound good with the Eberspacher active sound unit doing an uncanny job of hiding the diesel clatter. It is quite impressive and light years ahead of the fake noise boxes that play rubbish through the speakers. P38’s are still cool though, I’ve had quite a few of them so it’s fair to say I’m a fan. I would have had a new shape RRS over the SQ5 but it was being sold by a friend and was £20k less than an equivalent RRS. I saw a D1 around earlier today and it hit me just how old they are now but how good they still look. Quite a few D1’s and 2’s around my area still though the older ones are dying off now. I have to save them, SAVE THEM ALL!!!
jbenekeorr (16-10-2018)
Old 16-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #55
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOkIeMoNsTeR View Post
My only concession is that itís the pearl white so it does look nice in the sun I suppose. It does sound good with the Eberspacher active sound unit doing an uncanny job of hiding the diesel clatter. It is quite impressive and light years ahead of the fake noise boxes that play rubbish through the speakers. P38ís are still cool though, Iíve had quite a few of them so itís fair to say Iím a fan. I would have had a new shape RRS over the SQ5 but it was being sold by a friend and was £20k less than an equivalent RRS. I saw a D1 around earlier today and it hit me just how old they are now but how good they still look. Quite a few D1ís and 2ís around my area still though the older ones are dying off now. I have to save them, SAVE THEM ALL!!!
Iíve just had to google the Eberspacher unit, itís blown my mind. I thought the chap opposite had a petrol engine so it must do a good job! Is it in the exhaust somehow?!

Think you made the right choice on the RRS though. That could end up a complete money pit.

The only D1ís I see round here are owned by farmer types who Iím sure arenít that bothered about conservation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
CoOkIeMoNsTeR (17-10-2018), Cookies (16-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #56
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
He might do if itís a new shape one as they are petrol V6 only. If itís the same one as mine then itís the V6 TDi. There is a sound unit that attaches to the exhaust and is wired to the CAN gateway. It varies the noise depending on the drive mode and the throttle etc so it is still very quiet on the motorway but it can make a good impression of a V shaped engine that isnít a diesel when you floor it.

There are a handful of D1ís around me that are tidy ones, but many have been off roaded or used as farm equipment. Looking at the price of Range Rover Classics these days as well as the very first 200TDi era Discoís it wonít be long before all D1ís start to increase in value. I had a K reg 200TDi with the original blue interior and it was an awesome car with 278k on the clock and amazingly not that rotten underneath but the body was just made of rust and scabby all over. It donated its chassis and running gear to make a Defender 100 inch hybrid. Nice, but Iíd love to have it back now and make it mint. So few of them left now
jbenekeorr (18-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #57
ColinG
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Great thread, have you had a quote for the welding work?
ColinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #58
wrxmania

Garage
Super update. After so much time and effort Iíd be tempted to put cash into the welding, which may only be £500 at a guess, depending on how much fabricating is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #59
Wild
Unwashed Member

Buy a welder yourself and practice lots on olds bits of metal etc. Post the results on here and we can all critique until you get better and then you can weld her up yourself It really is very straightforward once you get back to good clean metal !
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #60
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinG View Post
Great thread, have you had a quote for the welding work?

Thanks. Not yet, I was thinking of leaving it until next summer, as I can get it under sealed at the same time - and the underneath wants to be nice and dry for that. If it happens to need anything I can’t do myself then my Land Rover man can give me his thoughts on it at the same time. He likes my Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
Super update. After so much time and effort I’d be tempted to put cash into the welding, which may only be £500 at a guess, depending on how much fabricating is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I think you’re right, what deters me is that I like to have stuff that I want to do to it - whereas I’ve already done all the cosmetic stuff. £500 wouldn’t be the end of the world.

It’s going to be due for another cam belt in a year’s time. Then when you’ve spent on that lot, I should probably get the steering box sorted, and then you go down that rabbit hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild View Post
Buy a welder yourself and practice lots on olds bits of metal etc. Post the results on here and we can all critique until you get better and then you can weld her up yourself It really is very straightforward once you get back to good clean metal !

This could be an option. You just want to laugh at my welds