Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
JR1982
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,206 Times in 967 Posts
Garage
I know it does but it was stripped down over the summer although at least I have the knowledge that so far it’s kept at least eight others on the road. Are you local to that lane? I only live about ten mins from there?
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
I know it does but it was stripped down over the summer although at least I have the knowledge that so far itís kept at least eight others on the road. Are you local to that lane? I only live about ten mins from there?
Oh no! Yes, at least you have the knowledge that it helps others to live on!

Iím near Lutterworth, so only about 30 minutes from Harborough (going off your profile). Iím surprised our paths havenít crossed!
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
JR1982

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Oh no! Yes, at least you have the knowledge that it helps others to live on!

Iím near Lutterworth, so only about 30 minutes from Harborough (going off your profile). Iím surprised our paths havenít crossed!
Do you come to harborough much? Iíll keep a look out for you now I know your local, I keep meaning to get over to Lutterworth to meet up with Ben w but never had chance to as yet as work keeps getting in the way when I do Iíll let you know, so I can come and see your toys too
Old 05-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #14
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
Do you come to harborough much? Iíll keep a look out for you now I know your local, I keep meaning to get over to Lutterworth to meet up with Ben w but never had chance to as yet as work keeps getting in the way when I do Iíll let you know, so I can come and see your toys too
Yes definitely let me know if youíre over this way.

I donít come to Harborough that often, I tend to go to Rugby more. Itís just a little bit too far to be handy.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
JR1982

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Yes definitely let me know if youíre over this way.

I donít come to Harborough that often, I tend to go to Rugby more. Itís just a little bit too far to be handy.
Ok bud, Iíll give you a shout next time Iím over that way
Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #16
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

Great work so far, what wet hoover so you use for the interior? I'm looking at investing in one soon!
MGJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

May '14 - Dec '14

May 2014 -

I was getting a bit tired with the lack of power so I did some of the the usual tricks to improve it a little.

Removed EGR system and flushed intercooler

Silicone intake hoses

Tweaked fuel pump - the 300TDI's have mechanical fuel injection, so the fuelling can be wound up very easily. It really improves the driveability. You really can tune it with a screw driver and a spanner!

Pre-facelift Discovery 2 headlights - These were very similar in design to the Discovery 1, but had black painted inners. One summers evening after maybe a couple of drinks - I decided to try and make mine look like that with a tin of Hammerite - bizarrely it didn't turn out too badly!
Over the years I have tried a few different headlight bulbs, it now has Osram Nightbreakers.

I sourced a front bumper with fog lights as a little upgrade, as mine (being a GS model) didn't come with them - however the wiring is all there. All that was required was the correct relay and the rest was plug-and-play. These aren't hard to find, as so many people fit heavy duty bumpers which massively improves the front approach angle off road. But i'm just not a fan of that look.

I also came across a genuine 'foam' front A-bar fitted with period-correct Hella Rallye 1000 driving lamps for £70. It is a simple bolt-on addition. I wired up the driving lamps to the full beam circuit using a relay and wiring kit.

As charming as the factory tape deck was, I was born after tapes died a death, plus I also wanted to connect my phone - so I fitted a Kenwood bluetooth head unit, some OK speakers and a chavtastic FLI subwoofer which I had in the garage. The original system consisted of two 4" in the front doors, two 4" in the rear D pillars and two bass speakers in the tailgate - the bass speakers were very distorted and causing a lot of rattles in the door, so I didn't bother trying to get them to work with the new system and removed them.
Unfortunately the subwoofer's reign was short lived, as I shoved a christmas tree through it!!! I didn't replace it for some time.

There is a common problem with the Discovery, where the rear electric windows will only work some of the time. This is due to a bad solder joint in the circuit board for such things. This is cured by touching a soldering iron to the joint. Mine hasn't given any trouble since.

Picture borrowed from google

August 2014 -

As any person in their right mind does - I fitted a Dukes Of Hazzard style air horn. I think it's my single favourite addition to the car - I mean, wouldn't it brighten up your day?
The horns and compressor are fitted under the bonnet.

It was initally operated by a simple push button which I fitted into one of the switch blanks. However that changed later on, as you will soon read.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Trumpe...0AAOSwnK9ZVM5R

September 2014 -

The first MOT was due this month. It passed with only one advisory for a shock absorber bush. I then changed both rear shock absorbers.

Mileage at MOT 135,500

I couldn't help looking at other D1's and wishing I had the leather interior. Whilst the grey cloth on my car was in good condition - it felt a little agricultural. To this end, I sourced a set of electric leather seats and door cards from an ES Premium model for £250. They came with all the wiring, relays and most importantly the seat controls which often go wrong - people take them to bits and all the springs and ball bearings go flying and they never work again! The seats are in good condition (for a Discovery!) but in the fullness of time could do with new foam bases.

These particular seats are quite uncommon, as most D1's had seats with the 'grab handle' type head rest, however the ES Premium had a more traditional seat. They are also heated, however the seller told me that the element in the driver's seat does not work, so I have never hooked them up. The seats are finished in a light cream colour called Lightstone and have dark brown piping.

These pictures are from the eBay listing:

They were quite dirty, so I took a 'do or die' approach and cleaned them with a product called Liquid Soap Flakes - it did a fantastic job! I wouldn't recommend risking it unless your seats are really dirty and you don't mind potentially ruining them! Luckily for me, it worked wonders and didn't compromise the protective layer on top.

Here are some pictures after fitting. Apologies - some are from before I fitted the door cards.

As you will see, the rest of my interior was still very much grey! Practically every piece of interior trim was different - grey cars had grey everything, and beige cars had beige everything. I decided to gradually replace some key parts with beige, and paint many of the other interior plastics in black for a much more modern and dirt resistant appearance, as the beige colour can look very grubby and worn.

December 2014 -

I liked the look of the headlight guards which I believe were optional when the car was new. They aren't widely available in good condition, so I had to keep a look out for some time.
Eventually I found an offside headlight guard for sale - new old stock with fitting kit. I contacted the seller who informed me that the offside part was much more widely available than the nearside one (how ridiculous is that?!), so I had to buy a used one for the other side and re paint with satin black Hammerite which is practically identical to the factory finish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
acprc (10-12-2017), Cookies (10-12-2017), JR1982 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #18
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJ92 View Post
Great work so far, what wet hoover so you use for the interior? I'm looking at investing in one soon!
I use a Vax. You'll probably be familiar with how it looks, as they've made this design for years! On the box it refers to it as 'The Daddy'.

I've had it for about 5 years - it can be used as a regular vacuum or as a wet vac (it also sprays the cleaner solution in too). However, it's a bit of a faff changing all the pieces over - so I use it exclusively as a carpet cleaner/wet vac. It does a really good job.

It's fine for home use on cars (and good because you can go round the carpets in your house with it too!) but if I was a mobile detailer or similar - I'd be looking at something more compact and sturdy.

http://www.vax.co.uk/carpet-cleaners...ner-and-washer
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
MGJ92 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #19
weedougall78
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Don't know why but I've always loved this shape, I even prefer it to the newer models.
weedougall78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
ibiza55

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,357 Posts
Garage
Usually has something to do about getting older, but I have to agree, these look like they can do the job and will, not climbing curbs is all the new ones will ever see.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Disco Smudge (08-12-2017)